R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   CRC Carpet Knife (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/8034-crc-carpet-knife.html)

kansasracer 09-16-2002 12:54 PM

CRC Carpet Knife

I know there already is a thread for 1/12 scale racing, but shouldn't we have a place to share setups for CRC faithful?

I am in need of a setup for the new carpet track here...any suggestions?

Also, what are your views about the old school front end vs. the new front end...

F1-Fanatic 09-16-2002 01:35 PM

Hi,

What is the track layout like and will you be running stock or mod?

F1-Fanatic

newracer 09-16-2002 02:53 PM

I have heard that the kit setup is the best place to start. I am currently running on asphalt but a new carpet track is opening this fall. Can't wait, I bought a new Bloody Knife to dedicate to capret racing only.

kansasracer 09-16-2002 02:54 PM

I am running a Core stock, and I would say a pretty tight track layout, alot of 180 turns...

Does that help?

F1-Fanatic 09-16-2002 06:36 PM

It does. I like to set my 3.1 with a little more steering than most like but it works great with a mod motor and a few weeks back was absolutely wicked fast with a stock hand-out. First I like to true my tires (Jaco Grey rear and Purple front) down a little so that a) they don't chunk and b) there is less reciprocating mass. This is my setup.. and is not the most economical one for tire wear but as long as your ride height is around 3mm (no less because it will most likely rub the carpet) you should be OK.

Front Tires: Jaco Purple 46mm
Rear Tires: Jaco Gray 48mm

Front Springs: 20
Center Spring: Calandra Red
Shock Oil: 40 wt. Serpent
Side Springs: White
Dampening Tubes: Losi (standard) Hydra-drive fluid
Ride height 3mm all the way around
Front suspension: Non-reactive caster (flat top) with 1 shim to start.. as the tires wear remove the shim and then adjust the rear with axel pod inserts and true the fronts as needed.

Adjust toe to slightly out if any at all and adjust camber so that the tires wear flat. Rebuild the rear dif as necessary making sure to pay close attention to the flanged bearing closest to the diff adjustment nut. If you feel a gritty feeling at all in the dif and you had a few encounters with the boards, chances are this bearing is shot.. it only takes once and furthermore DO NOT over tighten this diff! the design is very poor because it requires this bearing to take a lateral load such as that of a thrust bearing which it was never designed to do in the first place. My advice is to adjust the diff so that it moves very freely while holding one wheel and rotating the other.. it should feel very silky but when you hold the spur gear should not slip. (this is a touch thing which you can ask someone at the track to test for you if you are unsure)

I hope I didn't leave anything out and this helps.

F1-Fanatic

kansasracer 09-16-2002 08:06 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. My setup was close except for the red center spring...

SrRC 09-21-2002 11:14 AM

Knife Set Up

I have been racing a carpet knife for the last six years and think they are the only way to go.My set is pretty much standard except I have found that runnig heavy fluid in the dampners make the car very forgiviing and easy to drive.I have gone as heavy as diff ball lube.
The ride heigth is the most critical thing and must be kept level
to maintain best performance.

IMPACTPLAYR 09-21-2002 06:51 PM

I like 100 wt. shock oil in my dampers, it needs cleaned and relubed after ever other run, but I don't mind as there is so little maintenance compared to tourers..... Makes me feel like I am doing something....LOL

I have the latest version of the 6-pack (not bloody red) if anyone was interested.....

che 09-27-2002 07:07 AM

Gearing?

Any suggestions on where to start gearing my CK3.1 using a 19t spec (Chameleon) on a smaller tight, technical track?
Also, what size should I true down a brand new set of tires?
4 cell, 8 minutes using standard kit 64 pitch spur gear...

kansasracer 10-18-2002 10:51 PM

Re: Gearing?

Originally posted by che
Any suggestions on where to start gearing my CK3.1 using a 19t spec (Chameleon) on a smaller tight, technical track?
Also, what size should I true down a brand new set of tires?
4 cell, 8 minutes using standard kit 64 pitch spur gear...

I am interested in this as well...any suggestions?

fIShCaKe 10-18-2002 10:55 PM

Hi, I'm new to this... But the design of carpet knife looks just like the Team Associated RC12L3, guys, is there any diff between the 2 chassis, other than the amount of cells they take?

newracer 10-18-2002 11:08 PM

the CRC Six Pack and the 12L3 are very simular, but the 4 cell Carpet Knife is a lot different in the rear end it doesn't have a T-plate, it uses springs and side dampening tubes. all have the same front end assembly.

SrRC 11-15-2002 09:32 PM

Carpet Knife

:) Ha guys lets keep this page going,I have been away for awhile
and had to dig deep to find it again.

My last race the knife was dialed--took second in the
A main after the switch on my speedo died!

It was fun turning inside of the Associated cars!

Will try again this Sunday .

kansasracer 11-15-2002 09:43 PM

My Knife was dialed too last race. A Main winner, but all the other cars were Knifes too!!!

Dragon Slayer 11-16-2002 06:17 AM

I had a prretty good run last week in the Louisiana state race.....qualified 2nd. out of 15(with my Knife).....car still has a little too much push on turn in....finished 3rd. in the A-main.