Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much did you spend

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cars.cars.cars
i dont plan on raceing right away but once i get used to the car i will race.

what are some of your ideas of what to cut back on
If you are going to race, then you need "race-level" equipment, even if it isn't the most top-of-the-line stuff.
- matched packs (stick packs = no)
- charger/discharger/equalizer
- lathe (you can hold off on this if you can have someone else cut your motors)
- tires (ditch those hpi's for racing, in the street they are fine)
- soldering iron

Most of that stuff you can get used from members here, and it will be in good shape.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

i have a soldering iron. how much more do matched packs cost. what is a good charger/discharger/equalizer. and what are some good tires.

also i have the stocker cause my LHS only does stock electric races
Old 08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Suspended

you dont need com drops either. if you are goan buy 2 motors especially for tc i would not get the p2k. dont get me wrong its a fast motor just has no rpm. i love them in offroad or really tight carpet tracks. you can get good matched 3300 for under 45 a pack. some even cheaper. i would get 2 monster stocks if i was you. oh and dont get a superbrain those chargers blow a$$. i have seen to many blow up at the track. plus if you are getting good packs you dont want to ruin them with a crappy charger
Old 08-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, most of the second hand stuff on here is actually pretty good. And the GTX isn't really required. A GT7 will be just fine. I used to get X-patterns, but I can't stand them anymore. I use slicks for everything I do. And you can get premounted slicks for 30 bucks, which is less than HPI's stuff, and just as good (I think it's better- to each his own). Once again, I urge you to get CS-27s from allspeedhobbies.com. Good matched packs can come from anyone. Since you probably haven't done much battery soldering, I suggest you go with Fusion batteries. They come presoldered with Dean's, or Tamiya's, or no plugs at all. I don't know if they still have their 3-pack deal going on, but it's a super bargain. You can get amazing race quality packs (GP3700), assembled, with 1.185 voltage, for 60 bucks a pack, which is very cheap. I just got some, but they were 3300's, and they are super strong packs, that have really good runtime. For the equalizer, I would get the Novak Smart Tray. You can get used ones for about 50-60 bucks shipped on here. You can also get a Novak Millenium, which is a good charger (I have one). There are a few up for sale here right now, and they are about the same price as a Smart Tray. The Smart Tray is a discharger and equalizer, so you don't need two separate units. I think that covers everything.
-Josh
Old 08-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

ok so no super brain but what charger than. i am getting the p2k for drifting. the people at the drift forums said that was one of the best for drift.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by THE_REAL_FROBOY
you dont need com drops either. if you are goan buy 2 motors especially for tc i would not get the p2k. dont get me wrong its a fast motor just has no rpm. i love them in offroad or really tight carpet tracks. you can get good matched 3300 for under 45 a pack. some even cheaper. i would get 2 monster stocks if i was you. oh and dont get a superbrain those chargers blow a$$. i have seen to many blow up at the track. plus if you are getting good packs you dont want to ruin them with a crappy charger

LOL sure Matt!!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

ok im looking for matched batteries and i cant find any that come assembled from towerhobbies.com

are Trinity 6C VIS 3600 Sport Side X Side Assembled any good

Last edited by cars.cars.cars; 08-07-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok so no super brain but what charger than. i am getting the p2k for drifting. the people at the drift forums said that was one of the best for drift.
I bought a millenium and a millrnium pro used a year ago and both still work great with no problems.A Pulsar competition ( I hope this is right) would be a great charger since it has motor run in so when you need to break a motor in you have the capability.I also bought a used CE Turbo 35bl and love it.The Novaks would be a cheaper to buy but I'd check into the Pulsar first.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

ok im looking for matched batteries and i cant find any that come assembled from towerhobbies.com

are Trinity 6C VIS 3600 Sport Side X Side Assembled any good
Go to Pro-Match, they have great batteries and you can order them assembled.
http://www.promatchracing.com/main.htm
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

I, also a fan of lrp chargers, but if ure starting i would sugest the sport version. But Lrp's are kind of expensive.

Matched dont usually come soldered. I saw something about soldering on tony 's website (http://www.teampowerpush.com). u can check there.
Anyways, u gona have to learn to build ure pack sooner or later. If you are just starting, maybe u can ask for some body to help you and let you use his battery jig.

Also, 2 packs are kind of short. Thats the 1 thing i dont mind wasting money! I like to use my cars. Remember its not a good ideia to charge more than twice a day.

I would go for the premounted Take off cs tires. 32 if ure going for very hot/high grip track, 27 for everuthing else. Remeber, bigger number equals bigger lifetime (and tires arent cheap)!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

do the heat sinks actually help keep the motor cool. i just want to spair as much money as possible.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

do the heat sinks actually help keep the motor cool. i just want to spair as much money as possible.
They do help a little bit. Hold off on the heatsink for now, I can sell you a brand new one for cheap so let me know
Old 08-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

if u are running stock, i wouldnt worry too much.

Personally i think they have limited efect, but only had experience with one. I prefer to have 2 motors and swith them to make sure i always run them cool. but there is a new heatsink from muchmore that seems powerfull.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

ok. thank you all for all your help. and ill pm you bout the heat sink if im interested.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

ok. thank you all for all your help. and ill pm you bout the heat sink if im interested.

That heat sink is more then a motor heat sink,its more like a Motor Freezer!! Your motor will be so cold,its like you place ice on it.And this is very importanrt as heat builds up during a run,the motor will lose its magnetism due to the extreme heat produced.Thus reducing overall performance.

So by using the Much more motor cooler,the motor will start off freezing and will come back not as hot as normal run previously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.