Wiki Posts
Search

best all round 21.5 motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default best all round 21.5 motors

Looking at getting into the 21.5 class but am unsure which motor would be the best choice.
Looking for a manually adjustable timing motor which is not going to burn out if there is a problem with the car and it over heats.
Also has to have decent power to be competitive.
Pros and cons on each motor suggested would help with choice a whole lot
Cheers on any feedback guys and gals
Will be running it in blinky class with the just stock HW ESC or similar.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I ran a 21.5 fantom apex pro in my F1 this winter and I liked it a lot. I had probably the fastest car on the track. Wasnt always the fastest lap times haha. But I did manage 1st place overall the season. I really like all the available tuning rotor options they have as well.

I ran it with an RSpro in blinky mode. It also never temped over 140. Didnt seem to matter what gearing I chose. But my F1 was pretty light.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Speed Passion Competition MMM V3.0 are pretty damn slick!
Take the end bell timing no problem., reliable and quick.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ask 10 people get 10 answers. There is no best all round anything, what is good on one track might not be good on another, good in one chassis not so good in another, what works for one persons driving style not so good for another. In the end it is always about compromise, more or less torque or rpm, more or less braking, sensitivity to heat etc.

You only need to look at the A-Main qualifiers at any round of some world championship event or some other pro event to see that there are a number of manufacturers represented and the difference in lap times between all of them is not much at all and it is the guy who mastered the conditions better or had the cleanest error free run or better luck by not being taken out on turn 1 who was the winner, not the guy with the motor flavor of the month.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Ask 10 people get 10 answers. There is no best all round anything, what is good on one track might not be good on another, good in one chassis not so good in another, what works for one persons driving style not so good for another. In the end it is always about compromise, more or less torque or rpm, more or less braking, sensitivity to heat etc.

You only need to look at the A-Main qualifiers at any round of some world championship event or some other pro event to see that there are a number of manufacturers represented and the difference in lap times between all of them is not much at all and it is the guy who mastered the conditions better or had the cleanest error free run or better luck by not being taken out on turn 1 who was the winner, not the guy with the motor flavor of the month.
Wow this guy ^^^ is speaking the truth. It's so refreshing to hear someone who doesn't have an extreme bias. Out here in Arizona everyone is so obsessed with offroad that it is Reedy-this or Novak-that. You need to run the motor that you are most comfortable with. I run almost exclusively Team Orion motors because I have had excellent luck: quality is great, power is good, run cool, warranty is awesome (horizon hobbies ), and they look great. I decided to buy into the hype and purchased a Reedy Sonic 13.5 turn for my new B4.1 Worlds kit and I am rather disappointed. I actually prefer the Orion 13.5 it replaced and it will get the Orion treatment again soon. I also had a LRP SXX Comp Spec V2 esc in it, which is supposed to be the golden ticket. I quickly moved back to my mainstay, the Speed Passion GT2.0 Pro. Not to sound like an advertisement.

Just run what you like. In this hobby it is pretty much personal preference. Unless your Marc Rheinard or Atsushi Hara, chances are you won't even notice much of a difference if any. I have seen great results with the Orion, Revvtech, Fantom, Viper, Thunder Power, Reedy, Novak, and Speed passion motors. Those are just the ones I've seen or driven personally, not to mention the many that you'll hear people mention here on rc tech.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I agree with fast 04sti, I too run the Orion and have tried a couple of others but my preference for 21.5 has been the Orion
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fast04STi
Wow this guy ^^^ is speaking the truth. It's so refreshing to hear someone who doesn't have an extreme bias.

You need to run the motor that you are most comfortable with.
Originally Posted by chrisk
I agree with fast 04sti, I too run the Orion and have tried a couple of others but my preference for 21.5 has been the Orion
And here in is the crux of the whole argument, it is all about preference and the situation.

I run LRP, Speedpassion, Hobbywing and Hobbyking X-Car motors, they range in price from $30-$120 Aud, each one has its own peculiarities and situations when i use them.

My recommendation to the OP, is to buy a motor, any name brand will do, toss it in the car and go drive it, learn how it works, work out what its strengths and weaknesses are and go from there.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the advice guys, you all are making a lot of sense
Ive been racing nitro tourer for quite a few years now but never really tried racing an electric tourer apart from a little dabbling with mini + HW 3000kv combos etc so dont really know much about the pros and cons of the various motor manufacturers etc.
Much better to ask the more experienced guys like yourselves when it comes to the electric stuff
About all i know is plug the wires in , charge the battery and drive it Its good to know that whichever combo i go for i should at least be competitive.
I can get a HW Extreme combo with the 21.5 in place of the 17.5 it comes with for a good price.
Although it doesnt have adjustable timing, i hear it is a good solid motor which performs well.
Any thoughts compared to the adjustable timing motors out there?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by itchy b
Looking at getting into the 21.5 class but am unsure which motor would be the best choice.
Looking for a manually adjustable timing motor which is not going to burn out if there is a problem with the car and it over heats.
I like the Novak Ballastic and Reedy Sonic...both have done me very well ....Last year for USGT, most guys thought I was running a 17.5...lol...even at the 2011 Scale Nats the question came up...lol..car was very fast....finished 7th...and as a promoter for the Southern Nationals...I ran a qual or 2 and set TQ, with it...and then pulled it....

find what works best for you...but I would recomend the Novak or Reedy
Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

IT'S NOVAK OR NOTHING !!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I like the Novak Ballastic and Reedy Sonic...both have done me very well ....Last year for USGT, most guys thought I was running a 17.5...lol...even at the 2011 Scale Nats the question came up...lol..car was very fast....finished 7th...and as a promoter for the Southern Nationals...I ran a qual or 2 and set TQ, with it...and then pulled it....

find what works best for you...but I would recomend the Novak or Reedy
+1 I have both the ballistic and the sonic in 21.5 .Great motors. For me the ballistic seems to do better in a tc chassis and the sonic in a f1 chassis.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

I can get a HW Extreme combo with the 21.5 in place of the 17.5 it comes with for a good price.
Although it doesnt have adjustable timing, i hear it is a good solid motor which performs well.
Any thoughts compared to the adjustable timing motors out there?
I recently got that same combo for my VTA car and am happy with it.
I'm running a high roll out with it as the HW Xerun 21.5 has loads of torque and straight line speeds seem equal to my Tekin 21.5
The HW combo was priced at a very tempting amount that I just couldn't resist.

As stated above it's all about personal preference for brand x over brand y.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We run 21.5 blinky and there are a few good brands and as a few have said preference from each is going to be different.

What I have found in this class is more consistent driving out ways a good and bad motor. You make up more time with consistent laps over a slightly better motor.

Our fields are large and so close, one mistake and you drop a few positions. The HW combo is great, so is a few other brands, get what is reliable and a price that is in your budget, also look at upgradable if you plan to run boosted at a later date, but driving consistency will win over the brand each week.

Also a little luck into that first corner always helps
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

I only ran 21.5 once at the 2011 carpet nationals and won with a thunder power motor. Its been boxed since. I do remenber all the cars really being around the same speed. It came down to set-up and driving.

Last edited by Juan Aveytia; 03-29-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I only ran 21.5 once at the 2011 carpet nationals and won with a thunder power motor. Its been boxed since. I do remenber all the cars realky being around the same speed. It came down to set-up and driving.
You have that right!
Today most sensored brushless motors are made well.

Using boot timing or mechanical timing I would have to say that Lipos are more important.
Setting the esc, gearing to reduce large voltage drops and lap times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.