Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick question: Battery glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Default Quick question: Battery glue

What do you guys use to glue your cells together?

Thanks
Sean
Old 08-06-2005, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I just use Shoe Goo...

That Stuff is Awsome
Old 08-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

are you asking about side by side or saddle packs? if yes, put individual heatshrink on the cells first, then CA them together. this way, if you need to resolder the cells, you can just rip out the heatshrink and not damage the original heatshrink of the cell

i think you can also use silicone sealant or shoe-goo but personally, i havent tried them yet. i have only used CA. hope this helps
Old 08-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Side by side packs

Wouldn't the fumes from the CA glue turn the heatshrink on the cells white?

I need a glue that is clear and can be peeled off leaving no mess. I bought an assembled pack and 1 cell came loose. The glue looked like silicon (soft and rubbery)

Thanks
Sean
Old 08-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
Side by side packs

Wouldn't the fumes from the CA glue turn the heatshrink on the cells white?

I need a glue that is clear and can be peeled off leaving no mess. I bought an assembled pack and 1 cell came loose. The glue looked like silicon (soft and rubbery)

Thanks
Sean
Hey Sean, if you use anything at all (which I don't) go for the shoo goo...
Old 08-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

put the single cell shrink wrap on first. then use CA glue or Shoe Glue.
the CA glue will not turn the shrink wrap white.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like to use Shoe-goo, glue them and let them dry in your car's battery slots for a perfect fit. Then soilder them up. If you make a mistake the shoe-goo comes off very easy and will not distroy the cell wrap.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pops
I like to use Shoe-goo, glue them and let them dry in your car's battery slots for a perfect fit. Then soilder them up. If you make a mistake the shoe-goo comes off very easy and will not distroy the cell wrap.
NICE.....I never thought about that.....Should put a end to the deans station...LOL
Plus like you said perfect fit.
IF I ever have to build another pack I would use that method......I choose to let the mathcer assemble mine as I solder like a monkey.....LOL
-Shookie <><
Old 08-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I know everyone says shoo-goo, but I found that the opening of the shoo goo bottle was too big to get neat results. I found a glue called houehold welder that dries clear and rubbery but has a narrow tip (not just a screw on cap). I just started building batteries and I already get what I think are awesome looking packs. It holds just as strong as shoe goo and I need my cells glued becaue every so often I drop a pack. With out the glue the cells bend the battery bars and you have to rebuild it to get it back to good. I dont have to do this when I use the shoe goo.

1. Use cell shrink wrap for sure
2.Glue cells together in a deans jig(I say use the welder stuff, but you decide whether you want sho goo-esque stuff or ca)
Old 08-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

helo
i have used silicone befor works well but not ever so neat after a bit of use as it get dirty. in my last packs i have heat srank them,then use superglue (ca??) but found the best way of doing this is to solder the whol pack up first then put a dot on each cell from both sides then put them in the cars battery slots and let go off perfect , if u do it befor u solder u will get the white marks hope this helps bob
Old 08-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I race foam, so the only thing that gets on my batteries using shoe goo is foam dust that is easily brushed or blown away. I also use a very small amount. I apply one line starting about 2mm from the end of the cell and ending about 2 mm from the other end of the cell. The line is about as thick as an antenna tube and I only apply it to one of the two cells I am gluing together. When it squezzes together the glue is pushed to just shy of the ends ( + and - ) of the cells and is barely visible from the top or bottom between the cells.