Wiki Posts
Search

Which Turn to choose.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Which Turn to choose.

We have a discussion recently.
Given that you have all available (even nonavailable) pinions with you. And gone to track with all alternatives of model of a single brand (eg Orion v2 Rheinard Ed. 7,8,9,...........X T and all singles,doubles etc).

Which motor would you decide to go. The important question is why?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Depends what the track is like. High traction, low traction. Flowing, technical. Long straights short straights. Its all important in choosing a motor.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Just to pump the discussion,
Suppose low traction, flowing, short staights.

I want to understand the correlation
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Off-Road or On-Road.........
Old 08-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry. Onroad. 1/10 Touring.

Infact I'm not after a answer like, "go with 9 double"
I just want to understand how to decide. What are the parameters and their correlations with the choice.

Any article or link would be highly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Try this link for some useful information about winds and turns. I do apologise if links aren't allowed.

http://p198.ezboard.com/fehobbiesfrm...picID=77.topic

I personally have a V2 9x1 and it has absolutely bags of acceleration and is very quick in a straight line although I predominantly run 19t. If I ever ran in mod again, I would run a higher number of winds on a slippery track to give me a smoother power delivery. Lower number of winds on high grip tracks for ultimate acceleration.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Tough question.

Here are my thoughts.

I would first of all start with probably the lowest wind I felt I could make run-time with. Then I decide if I can find appropriate gearing for it depending on the track size. Generally a smaller track requires a smaller pinion. In some cars, you may not be able to get to your ideal gear ratio due to limitations in the chassis, ie, can't move the motor close enough to the spur, or can't fit a large enough spur.

THen I will asses the traction, as well as type of cornering needed by the track. For the most part, the more traction you have, you want to run less "winds" like a single instead of a double. FOr lower traction, a double or tripple can help you stay hooked up because they accelerate slower (not by much, but initial punch is less due to centrifugal force). Also, a double or tripple is going to help the car carry a bit of speed through the corners (again due to centrifugal force- doubles and tripples weigh more becuase they have more wire, so are harder to start and stop the spinning of the armature). It is generally said that doubles and tripples are "smoother" than a single for this reason.

If all that works, I should be good. I have good gearing so the motor isn't too hot. If it is, and I can't find gearing, I would probably go up a turn or two, and re-asses my gearing.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

can anyone shine the light on to me as to what gearing is and how to come to a conclusion on what tooth gears to use and how to find out the gear ratio is. (to make it simple can anyone explane to me all about gear ratio and how to know what to use.. Ex. on a short track with lots of turns and a couple of short straights, and your using a ... motor with...gears.)if its not to hard.

Thank You
Old 08-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You know what's wierd....is how you can run an 8 turn and make a race easier than if you were to run say a 10 or 11 turn....Because with the lower turn motors you don't have to gear them as crazy to get the same effect as a lower turn motor. If it's for TC....you might think low turns....
Old 08-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies.

However, since we know that races are still 5minutes and we have better cells than old days like 3600-3700-3800, any turn can finish the race.

Anybody can surive 5 minutes even they choose 7T and the biggest pinion that will not burn my motor to death with a good matched 3800 or 3600

We've rated and matched a pack recently which has 1.21 avarage voltage under 30A continous discharge for 5 mins.

So as a result of this discussion we should say that 7 or 7x2 maybe 7x3 is enough for the arsenal of a EP racer. This can not be this easy. Why all those manufacturers producing, 7,8,9,10,11 and all those combinations then?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamGO
Thanks for the replies.

Anybody can surive 5 minutes even they choose 7T and the biggest pinion that will not burn my motor to death with a good matched 3800 or 3600
Man are you wrong... we still dump 3700's and 3800's... at the Sizzler last Sat a lot of guys were dumping in the last 30 seconds.... if the batt has more capacity guys just run harder and gear taller, its a never ending cycle
Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Means you've really geared them

I think my question still stands. I still can not figure out why in hell I should by a 9 or 10 T if I have 7T in my hand. So why are they producing it?

I'm missing something or I'm a total dumb

ps: Ottoman, your nick and my ancestors are alike
Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Just a pump to take my chance.

Any other opinions?