Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New vbc f-1 lightingf >

New vbc f-1 lightingf

New vbc f-1 lightingf

Old 01-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This was just my take on VBC's LightningF. Of course I dont have have the resources as you on testing RC F1 cars. Im just going by my car kit building experiences not limiting to F1 (1/12th, 1/10 electric, 1/10 nitro)

Most of my concerns on the front end wouldnt affect handling as the pivot balls do not actually need to move, steering arm doesnt slide on the shaft, and caster is fixed. This is all my experience when building this particular kit. Hell I might of gotten a bad batch or something, who knows.

That aside, heres my finished F1 with electronics put int. I actually havent seen any decent picture of the VBC F1 fulled kitted out with electronics and no body so heres mine. I hope my ESC would be fine with no cooling fan in its current location. Im thinking of adding some ducting to direct to the ESC to help cool it off

Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lets talk about "Diffing Out"

So, in F1 this is probably the biggest problem I see (on High Bite Carpet). Most F1s have problems with diffing out and not getting the drive off the corner. What is your experience with it and how have you solved it in the past?

I know I typically try to stiffen and thicken up all the springs and oils (stiff front springs, side springs and 100k damper tube fluid). I am just not sure if I am going about it the right way. All the F1 races around here are on high bite carpet.

What's your thoughts on this?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys,

Can you tell me if some other shocks fits on vbc? For example yokomo or tamiya, or maybe xray? What is the length of the original lightningf shock?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Likeslowww
Hi guys,

Can you tell me if some other shocks fits on vbc? For example yokomo or tamiya, or maybe xray? What is the length of the original lightningf shock?

Thanks.
Are you having problems with your shock as well? Everyone Ive talked to who owns this car have changed their shock to something else. Im thinking of ditching the center shock as well as its easily the worst thing about this kit. It holds oil like a sieve. The shaft is covered in oil, the thru body shock cap is filled with oil.

I have Xray X12, I can see its center shock will fit the lightningF. Others have put regular TC shocks on their cars and worked.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

The center shock is tricky to build. There is a really good youtube video for it though. I run the kit shock. 2 hole piston and 800-1000CST oil. No leaks. It works super smooth and dampens as good if not better than the TC shocks.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Actually the build of the shock is pretty straight forward. The video helped me understand what the thru shock body cap actually does as it says nothing in the manual. My shock just doesnt seem like it wants to hold oil.

I might try some thicker orings and see if that helps, but if that fails then Im just swapping out the shock for something else.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by disaster999
Are you having problems with your shock as well? Everyone Ive talked to who owns this car have changed their shock to something else. Im thinking of ditching the center shock as well as its easily the worst thing about this kit. It holds oil like a sieve. The shaft is covered in oil, the thru body shock cap is filled with oil.

I have Xray X12, I can see its center shock will fit the lightningF. Others have put regular TC shocks on their cars and worked.
Not having problems. I am only checking if there is possibility to change it. Does anybody know the lenght of the VBC shock?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Likeslowww
Not having problems. I am only checking if there is possibility to change it. Does anybody know the lenght of the VBC shock?
Many racers, including Dave Ehrlich who won IIC with this chassis, switch to the original VBC touring car shock from the D05. It takes longer springs than the TBB shocks on the D06/7. I run mine with Yokomo springs.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by disaster999
This was just my take on VBC's LightningF. Of course I dont have have the resources as you on testing RC F1 cars. Im just going by my car kit building experiences not limiting to F1 (1/12th, 1/10 electric, 1/10 nitro)

Most of my concerns on the front end wouldnt affect handling as the pivot balls do not actually need to move, steering arm doesnt slide on the shaft, and caster is fixed. This is all my experience when building this particular kit. Hell I might of gotten a bad batch or something, who knows.

That aside, heres my finished F1 with electronics put int. I actually havent seen any decent picture of the VBC F1 fulled kitted out with electronics and no body so heres mine. I hope my ESC would be fine with no cooling fan in its current location. Im thinking of adding some ducting to direct to the ESC to help cool it off

I run mine with the battery forward, esc to the rear...I did the kingpin mod, using Tamiya ti-coated shafts, got rid of the steering stoppers...and had to shorten the ballcup on the center shock to shorten the Droop to zero. that's pretty much it...oh and I had to use a little threadlock on all the screwes that go into aluminum...I ran on asphalt, and many came loose. no problems with the center shock, and the esc never gets warm enough to need a fan
Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Regional Moderator

Took the car to the track last night to test it out. The track is asphalt and was a bit loose. Im running the car with super soft foam in the rear and hard fronts as recommended by a hobby shop (which im planning on swapping out to rubber tires soon)

The setup is just stock from the manual. The car would push in tight slow corners and will spin out during high speed sweepers. Gotta play with the setup more

heres a video of my first run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfRiDMGEhY
Old 02-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by TENCHO
I run mine with the battery forward, esc to the rear...I did the kingpin mod, using Tamiya ti-coated shafts, got rid of the steering stoppers...and had to shorten the ballcup on the center shock to shorten the Droop to zero. that's pretty much it...oh and I had to use a little threadlock on all the screwes that go into aluminum...I ran on asphalt, and many came loose. no problems with the center shock, and the esc never gets warm enough to need a fan
I was kind of debating if I should run the battery front or back. Some one here mentioned he didnt notice anything different with the battery forward or backwards so I went with backwards first to try it out. I can swap it around and try out a forward battery and see how I like that.

I might try out the ti-coated king pins and get a different center shock. Im not happy with the stock one at all.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Here is a setup sheet I put together. Should work good on any Medium to High bite carpet track. battery forward. ESC/Receiver right behind it. Then add weight as necessary behind the ESC/Reciever as far back and low as possible on the chassis. I also add a little weight to the side (widest part of chassis) to balance it side to side. This setup seems to put down the fastest laps out of any F1 to hit the track. If you need a little more rear side bite you can go to the GOLD side pod springs. Just make sure you recheck the tweak. The only other modification is to the steering stops up front. Instead of the carbon fiber pieces I run longer screws that come through the bottom arm and run standoffs on top to stop the steering. It won't bind up if you hit something at full lock this way. I run the diff pretty tight as well but that might make it hard to drive for some as it likes to drift/rotate a lot coming out of the corners.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Regional Moderator

Anyone run Ride rubber tires? I borrowed a set of what I believe to be Ride F1 front rubber tires and they dont fit on the a stock VBC lightningF. I believe I need to lower the ride height so it doesnt rub the top of the A arm, and somehow shorten the king pin so the bottom of it doesnt rub as well.

Weird how the Ride tires have a smaller inner rim diameter than the GQ Foam tires and Solaris rubber tires.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by Robert Bakoczy
Here is a setup sheet I put together. Should work good on any Medium to High bite carpet track. battery forward. ESC/Receiver right behind it. Then add weight as necessary behind the ESC/Reciever as far back and low as possible on the chassis. I also add a little weight to the side (widest part of chassis) to balance it side to side. This setup seems to put down the fastest laps out of any F1 to hit the track. If you need a little more rear side bite you can go to the GOLD side pod springs. Just make sure you recheck the tweak. The only other modification is to the steering stops up front. Instead of the carbon fiber pieces I run longer screws that come through the bottom arm and run standoffs on top to stop the steering. It won't bind up if you hit something at full lock this way. I run the diff pretty tight as well but that might make it hard to drive for some as it likes to drift/rotate a lot coming out of the corners.

Thanks for taking the time to put this up. I just picked up one of these and needed a starting point.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

looking for info at the moment.
I am looking at buying a Lightning F-1 but want to know if there are weak points in the car so what spares should I look at buying also as consumables?

thanks
Eden

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.