R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #106
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Still not exactly the same FDR but much closer. Without wanting to start another long drawn out discussion, it's seldom that simply changing the size of the gears while keeping the FDR the SAME results in big changes in lap times. Two biggest benefits of different sized gears (but same FDR) are more efficient gear mesh and slight different CG from moving the motor forward/backward.
Ok
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #107
Tech Elite

I need some gearing/timing advice on this motor. I'm borrowing my friends R1 17.5 for blinky in touring. Good lap times are around mid/high 10's. So far I have tried 3.76 final with 30 on the timing but it's just not keeping up with my previous lap times with a D3.5. It's a few tenths slower. Any suggestions on timing? Does this motor have like 30 degrees built into it? Just trying to figure out if this motor likes a bigger pinion or smaller one before I give it back so that he knows where to start when he races it again.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #108
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
I need some gearing/timing advice on this motor. I'm borrowing my friends R1 17.5 for blinky in touring. Good lap times are around mid/high 10's. So far I have tried 3.76 final with 30 on the timing but it's just not keeping up with my previous lap times with a D3.5. It's a few tenths slower. Any suggestions on timing? Does this motor have like 30 degrees built into it? Just trying to figure out if this motor likes a bigger pinion or smaller one before I give it back so that he knows where to start when he races it again.
Jimmy you may need to gear this motor in the 4.0 to 4.2. I don't have a 17.5 but I run a 21.5 and I have to gear it much lower then my Killshot.
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #109
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Try gearing at 3.6 fdr or higher...... At 30 timing you can go pretty high (3.5fdr) with no heat at all......
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, try going smaller pinion. The motor revs a lot so it likes shorter ratios. I know the guys running it at the pre worlds in stock were above 4.0, and that was with a very long straight.

Per my conversations with Steve, the motor has around 30 degrees of timing built in.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #111
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Yes, try going smaller pinion. The motor revs a lot so it likes shorter ratios. I know the guys running it at the pre worlds in stock were above 4.0, and that was with a very long straight.

Per my conversations with Steve, the motor has around 30 degrees of timing built in.
I dropped my pinion two more teeth this weekend at home (Jackson). Hot lap was 14.9 and fast lap of 15.0 after 9+ min. Running a ton of timing still-- motor cogs a bit but still fast . More to try this upcoming weekend..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Still no news of an ETA on motors?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Thanks Christian and Vivo. I got the news late and pulled my KillShot before the main. I geared 4.0 and it did much better than the 3.76 I had run before with the R1. 3.6 and 3.5 sucked. It just overheated the motor. This motor does like to rev. I wish I would of kept running it through the qualifiers and tried out 4.1 and 4.2. Maybe next time but it'll give my friend a start. I left the timing at 30. Not quite D3.5 fast but getting there. Thanks.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Christian and Vivo. I got the news late and pulled my KillShot before the main. I geared 4.0 and it did much better than the 3.76 I had run before with the R1. 3.6 and 3.5 sucked. It just overheated the motor. This motor does like to rev. I wish I would of kept running it through the qualifiers and tried out 4.1 and 4.2. Maybe next time but it'll give my friend a start. I left the timing at 30. Not quite D3.5 fast but getting there. Thanks.
You could have gone up in timing to 35* range with any of your fdr and it would have been good. I admit I do like these motors a bit more with the smaller spurs but also still testing. I am at 3.8ish at 35* and my car is good infield and straight.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
You could have gone up in timing to 35* range with any of your fdr and it would have been good. I admit I do like these motors a bit more with the smaller spurs but also still testing. I am at 3.8ish at 35* and my car is good infield and straight.
I tried more timing during practice, I think I was 40* though and it got hot. Not doing that with 3.XX timing. Wish I had more time with this motor, but I need to move on and try a few others. I'll have my friend try it and see what he comes up with. I think he's going to start with 4.1 and go from there. If yall find anything else out with these 17.5 motors post up! I know a few others who want to try one as well. Thanks.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #116
Tech Adept

I heard there were two types of 17.5 motors. Is this true and which is the best for offroad stock blinky?
Holeshot114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #117
Tech Master

Quote:
I tried more timing during practice, I think I was 40* though and it got hot. Not doing that with 3.XX timing. Wish I had more time with this motor, but I need to move on and try a few others. I'll have my friend try it and see what he comes up with. I think he's going to start with 4.1 and go from there. If yall find anything else out with these 17.5 motors post up! I know a few others who want to try one as well. Thanks.
How hot is hot that you had it? These motors are safe to go up to 180* with no problems. I had mine down to 3.5 with 35* of timing and the hottest my motor came off at was 165ish. I am just going by what all the team guys are doing. I would keep playing with this motor and junk all others. I have a feeling its going to be in the top 3 at reedy this year.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #118
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot114 View Post
I heard there were two types of 17.5 motors. Is this true and which is the best for offroad stock blinky?
I am not aware of any two motors. I do believe I have heard about a faster rotor option. If you can just get one and go have some fun.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I am not aware of any two motors. I do believe I have heard about a faster rotor option. If you can just get one and go have some fun.
Thats what it was. So, which rotor is the best for offroad?
Holeshot114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #120
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot114 View Post
Thats what it was. So, which rotor is the best for offroad?
The motor includes a 12.5mm rotor. All of these rotors test very high with the EMF reader. Unlike most other brands, none of the R1 rotors are throwaways.

If you are racing offroad, you can expect smooth linear response both during acceleration and under braking, as well as excellent top end speeds. These motors are perfect for offroad.