R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #271
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,238
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
I bought a 17.5 a few weeks ago and recently just noticed that the motor doesn't spool up quickly to the max rpm until you hold full throttle for about 1 second. In another words, after pull the trigger to full throttle and hold, the motor will continue to increase its rpm and reaches max rpm after about a second. Is this normal? Anyone has the same experience? I also changed to another brand's motor and the spooling up was linear and directly proportional to the trigger travel. Thanks.
well, doesn't that tell you that you need to shift the power band with gearing.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #272
Tech Fanatic
 
b20btec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 918
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Ran a 5 min qual, 17.5 motor came off 130 deg. Ran the main 30 mins later, on the last lap cooked the motor but was able to coast towards the finish line. Temps came off at 240, this is the 4th time running the motor in club racing and I even went down 2 teeth in my pinion. Running the main I can tell the car was fading after a few laps.
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #273
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 79
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
Ran a 5 min qual, 17.5 motor came off 130 deg. Ran the main 30 mins later, on the last lap cooked the motor but was able to coast towards the finish line. Temps came off at 240, this is the 4th time running the motor in club racing and I even went down 2 teeth in my pinion. Running the main I can tell the car was fading after a few laps.
Interesting... have you checked to make sure you didn't have a bearing go bad in the drivetrain or motor?
Indyonroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #274
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,500
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
I bought a 17.5 a few weeks ago and recently just noticed that the motor doesn't spool up quickly to the max rpm until you hold full throttle for about 1 second. In another words, after pull the trigger to full throttle and hold, the motor will continue to increase its rpm and reaches max rpm after about a second. Is this normal? Anyone has the same experience? I also changed to another brand's motor and the spooling up was linear and directly proportional to the trigger travel. Thanks.
Hi Ron
I think these motor are design for med to larger open track...you have to find the sweet spot for the gearing and bell end timing together..bump the timing and gear down lower..I think I was at 4.2 for 21.5
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #275
Tech Addict
 
Blue Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 669
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Blue Sky
Default

Will try to gear way short when I get home.
Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #276
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
well, doesn't that tell you that you need to shift the power band with gearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
I bought a 17.5 a few weeks ago and recently just noticed that the motor doesn't spool up quickly to the max rpm until you hold full throttle for about 1 second. In another words, after pull the trigger to full throttle and hold, the motor will continue to increase its rpm and reaches max rpm after about a second. Is this normal? Anyone has the same experience? I also changed to another brand's motor and the spooling up was linear and directly proportional to the trigger travel. Thanks.
I noticed the slow acceleration with my dyno testing (PS I have the 21.5 R1 motor). I used 30 degrees End Bell timing (it has 30 built into the stator so that's 60 degrees). I have telemetry in my ESC so I started at a 4.2 FDR and ran the car up and down the street simulating the long straightaway at our track (~160ft). Dividing the observed RPM by the FDR I get the Wheel speed at the end of the straight. I found the highest wheel speed at 4.68FDR and also the best acceleration. On the track, the R1 was fast but not the fastest USGT car. Damaged the motor and ESC in a crash and changed back to my Kill Shot, which was 4/10 a lap faster.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #277
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Default

how durable is it? If so what can it withstand?
K3RSP33D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #278
Tech Regular
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 463
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
I noticed the slow acceleration with my dyno testing (PS I have the 21.5 R1 motor). I used 30 degrees End Bell timing (it has 30 built into the stator so that's 60 degrees). I have telemetry in my ESC so I started at a 4.2 FDR and ran the car up and down the street simulating the long straightaway at our track (~160ft). Dividing the observed RPM by the FDR I get the Wheel speed at the end of the straight. I found the highest wheel speed at 4.68FDR and also the best acceleration. On the track, the R1 was fast but not the fastest USGT car. Damaged the motor and ESC in a crash and changed back to my Kill Shot, which was 4/10 a lap faster.
my experience with r1 21.5 in touring cars tells me it does not like high timing at all. I've settled for around 15 to 20 timing and 3.36 final gearing. timing above 20 makes no difference but heat up faster.
tobyzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #279
Tech Fanatic
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

All three classes, GT1 (13.5), GT2 (17.5) and Formula 1 (21.5) were won using the R1 Wurks motor at the Tamiya National Championships this weekend in Aliso Viejo, CA. They dominated each class with wins in the first two of three mains making in not necessary for the winners to run the last round. All three winners dominated their classes winning each Main by as much as 10 seconds on a track that laps out around 14 seconds! Great job Craig "Cuda" Hammond (F1), Julian Wong (GT2) and Nathan Weir (GT1). Enjoy your trip to Shizouka, Japan to compete in the Tamiya World Championships in November! Steve "V", you rock!!
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #280
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,539
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

For what it's worth

Using the Motolyser tool, R1 motors have about 37* timing, when cranked clockwise all the way to the stop.

The motor endbell shows less than 0* at this point

I have never found a sweet setup with more than 28* which is around 60* actual

As of late 0* endbell has been working well for me
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #281
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,500
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
For what it's worth

Using the Motolyser tool, R1 motors have about 37* timing, when cranked clockwise all the way to the stop.

The motor endbell shows less than 0* at this point

I have never found a sweet setup with more than 28* which is around 60* actual

As of late 0* endbell has been working well for me
Does the R1 motor works well with the 1s cell? or 12th scale ?
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #282
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
For what it's worth

Using the Motolyser tool, R1 motors have about 37* timing, when cranked clockwise all the way to the stop.

The motor endbell shows less than 0* at this point

I have never found a sweet setup with more than 28* which is around 60* actual

As of late 0* endbell has been working well for me
The R1 stator is said to have 30 degrees built in, but there appears to be little bit more than that. The lowest I dyno'd the R1 was 20 degrees end bell timing (thinking it was 50 total). I'll try it at lower timing intervals and see if I can find a place where the amp draw is more comparable with motors that will last a 12 minute main in 100 degree heat.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #283
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,539
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Does the R1 motor works well with the 1s cell? or 12th scale ?
Yes, 28* 98 roll worked well with the 17.5

Steve has made a running change, and while that setup still works, I have been testing some "different" settings that seem to have more punch, and even less fade

The R1 is at least as fast as the OrcaTX or Schuurspeed in testing here

Don't have a dyno, just trying things on the track, letting the clock tell the results
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #284
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Yes, 28* 98 roll worked well with the 17.5

Steve has made a running change, and while that setup still works, I have been testing some "different" settings that seem to have more punch, and even less fade

The R1 is at least as fast as the OrcaTX or Schuurspeed in testing here

Don't have a dyno, just trying things on the track, letting the clock tell the results
I do my share of track testing too; however, our local track is only set up two days a month so the street in from of my house gets a real workout. My ESC telemetry is great for picking FDRs that can be refined at the track. of 10 cars Sunday in USGT, there were at least 5 different motors (including a TrackStar) and all were competitive (fastest to slowest were all within 1 sec on a 16-17 second lap course). Driving still is premium!

Last edited by John Wallace2; 08-29-2014 at 07:53 AM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #285
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,539
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Driving still is premium!
Always will be
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:06 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0