R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #226
Tech Rookie

Last edited by o2 designs; 07-03-2014 at 09:36 AM.
o2 designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #227
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
John at what point (timing) does the amp draw and rpm gain cancel each other out?
hard to tell from the dyno, but your batteries and race length will be factors. i'm still traveling, but I'll check my data when I get home tomorrow but I recall the amp draw at ~68 degrees was comparable to other motors I've raced in 12 minute mains (with much less timing). I was really responding to a comment about RPM & power dropping off after 60 Degrees and I saw none of that up to at least 70 degrees timing.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #228
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
hard to tell from the dyno, but your batteries and race length will be factors. i'm still traveling, but I'll check my data when I get home tomorrow but I recall the amp draw at ~68 degrees was comparable to other motors I've raced in 12 minute mains (with much less timing). I was really responding to a comment about RPM & power dropping off after 60 Degrees and I saw none of that up to at least 70 degrees timing.
Thank John
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #229
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleKing View Post
I love these motors in my USGT and my 17.5TC but I can't get anywhere with the 17.5 in my 1/12. I have been everywhere with the gearing and timing and it is decent at best in 1 cell. I ended up running the best at 30* and a 3.2 roll out on our track tonight with a very open layout and a 60' strait. I spent an entire day over at Access in Ohio working with it since I had the track to myself. I could put my ORCA back in and beat it by 2-3 tenths a lap no matter what I was doing to the R1 in 1/12. Maybe I got a dud but the numbers on my MMS say it is good. I did have to resolder the sensor board since it came lop sided as in one side of the sensor plate was 1mm higher than the otherside and I couldn't gap the rotor correctly with out it hitting one side and being 1mm higher on the other. I have had to do that with all three R1's I have but the others were not as bad as this one. I don't know but the ORCA is going back in the 1/12 for now until I get a new board to test to see if that is the problem.

Jeremiah
My sensor board was lop sided too. One side was reeeally close to hitting the rotor. Was able to re-solder the pins down to make it even.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #230
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi guys,
So here is my feedback after running my TC (with R1 Wurks 17.5T). It Rocketed!!!

In the qualifying rounds, had the #1 guy in that class ask what I was running and joked to want the race director check my car to see if I was actually running in blinky mode!

Motor setting & gearing:
Class: 17.5T Blinky.
FDR: 3.5 (36/70).
End bell timing: 30 deg.
Temp: 60-70*C (after each 6min. round)

Pity I couldn't keep the car running in consistent laps. Fastest lap was just 0.1sec/lap behind him. He was running a Killshot i think.

SUMMARY
I think the determining factors on why I didn't beat him came back to consistency, my tyre choice and car set up. On the straight I'd creep back up to him 2-3m. I also think I ran too tall an FDR ratio. Was running 3.50. I would have been better running 3.7 or even 3.8 and letting the motor rev up, potentially tweak the timing.

The #1 guy did ask to test drive my car and he thought i didn't have as much bottom end pull as his, which most likely explains my gear ratio was too tall.

Anyway, the R1 Wurks still ROCKED! Think it's time to sell off all my other motors.
Stray monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #231
Tech Regular

Who are you? Brian?
You need to let this motor rev more!
I've been using the 13.5 at AA, but I'm on 40 deg timing.
Fdr is at 5.0.
I'd say try around the 4- 4.2 with 40deg and you'll really see this motor come alive!!
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #232
Tech Initiate

Re: Andrew. LOL...No not Brian.

Will gear down as you mention and work the timing up. I'm excited to see what results it yields!

Thanks!
Stray monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hey guys, just a quick note to praise Steve, importer of the R1 Brushless Motors. I purchased an R1 21.5 when they first came out. Used it for TCS Mini Cooper racing and loved the fact that the motor was built heavier then some other brands and allowed me to meet the minimum weight requirement. IMO, since the motor was being used in a Mini Cooper, it didn't need all the machining to lighten the motor and aid in cooling. The R1 21.5 motor was fantastic, but I fried a sensor and the car went up in smoke when the diff grease leaked and bogged down the drive train. I thought I fried the motor so once the next batches were available I ordered a new 21.5 to ready for the July 27 TCS race.

Since I assumed the original motor was toast (I should have tested it), I sent it back to Steve for repair. He quickly emailed me as he was not sure why I sent it back the sensor board was fine and so was the motor. (so now i have a back-up)

But I wanted to share a great customer experience in using the R1 motor and the customer service. I'm convinced the additional weight of the motor (i.e.: extra materials) aided in the motor's durability. I've witnessed many Trinity Killshots overheat and become paper weights.

Therefore, buy the R1 with confidence. I know my first choice will be the R1 for all my brushless needs. Thanks Steve for making a great product. The motors looks great, performs well and is beefy. All I would change is the solder tabs. I prefer the flat tabs similar to the reedy motors or perhaps bullet holes in the end bell to avoid soldering. Either way I'll be back for more.

PS: I run the R1 8.4v fan in all my Mini Cooper's - a must have! Its hard wired to the battery pack so its constantly blowing. Sounds like a ducted fan!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #234
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Sure you got the right Steve? Lol. Just kidding!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #235
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Anybody looking for a 17.5?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #236
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridworks Racing View Post
Anybody looking for a 17.5?
I am.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #237
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
I am.
We have one 17.5 available through our Web site.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #238
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridworks Racing View Post
We HAD one 17.5 available through our Web site.
FIXED THAT, thx!
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #239
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
FIXED THAT, thx!
Haha, thanks. You'll have it on Monday.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #240
Tech Regular

We also have R1wurks motors in stock. 3 flavors to choose from, 13.5, 17.5 and 21.5
www.apexrcproshop.com
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote