R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #31
Tech Adept

If I was to switch, I would try:

SMC - they seem to have a good reputation, good customer service and will answer your batter questions, even if you're not a customer; just a little pricey

ProMatch - I hear good things about them on this site and their prices are very comptetitive

Novak - some people at SoCal that aren't sponsored and seem trustworthy have recommended them

Running now: Fukuyama and Fusion 3700s
grazianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roberto Falcon
LOL !!! jajajajaja

ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #33
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default OK

I think I now have a better understanding about what John wants. If I must change without running the batteries previously I would go with Novak.
Grandview Hobbies, HobbyWing, J-Concepts, Airtronics, LukeDawg Graphics, TQ Wire
DustinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #34
Tech Addict
Send a message via MSN to dynoman007 Send a message via Skype™ to dynoman007
Default the switch

i dont care whos they are i just want new ones every month .....
dynoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #35
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run pole position battery since 11yrs they r honest and precise with theyre number!!!!
pete68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #36
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

Originally Posted by howard hudson
LMAO Too funny,
Kalgard Racing
Banzai Motorsports
ProMatch Racing
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am so happy with my stuff I hav'nt even looked around at anyone elses batteries LOL! But I know that the Zapping method plays a role and I would have to do some research to see who I would chose, IF I had to. I know who I would'nt chose based on how they keep the room temp very high when matching and whatnot but I will not slander here. Trust IS very important in the battery game for sure and I feel it plays a role in racer confidance as well. But Masami would be fast with ANY matcher's best pack right?
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #38
Super Moderator
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In the past I have run all the major companies stuff...some was great some wasnt. I think that the most important qualities that you should look for are Honesty, Customer support, the desire to push the envelope and try new things, and the willingness to listen to your cusomers and critics and grow from them. I think that is more of what he was looking for, not any brand name.

Tekno RC - Schumacher - JConcepts - AMain Hobbies - ProTek - RaceReady Products - LutzRC
Bob Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #39
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by John Malin
Fair enough... Someone asked me my own question so here goes. I think if I had to change I might try Novak or Spec point.

Reasons why: Novak I think they might just be onto something.
Spec Point He may one of the only other matchers I would trust. Ther are a few others but he would be my first try.

But thats just me.
Thank you John!
Tom Himes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #40
Tech Adept

If we are gonna sit here, discuss philosphy, should have, could have, might haves, would have and maybes.

Who is bringing the beer!
Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #41
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Well, I just picked up 3 Fusions, and if I had to change, I would go to SMC. I already have one of their packs, and experiencing their customer service was an amazing experience. I think that Fusion and SMC have the upper hand with representatives like you, John, and Danny for SMC. A cell vented in my SMC pack, and I asked about replacing the 30 amp pack with a 35 pack for the retail difference. Instead, I got a "Don't worry about it, we'll just send you a 35 amp pack."

Who knows, I may end up switching from Fusion to SMC, but only because of Fusion's lack of IB cells. I feel both companies' cells are fair, legit, and honest, but the pre-built batteries with wicked looking heatsinks are hard to beat. You may pay a little more for Fusion's than SMC, but you get *AMAZING* buid quality, and consistency. I think that if Fusion had more variety in their cells (e.g., 35 amp packs, and [at least] IB cells, maybe even loose cells instead of preassembled...) I would be Fusion for life. But because of the variety and equal pack performace, I may go completely with SMC. But as for now, I support both companies, and you never know what they have going on in the R&D department. Maybe Fusion will introduce IB cells? Only time will tell. But until then, keep it up, guys...
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #42
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are a lot of really good matchers out there...but there are a lot of bad ones too. I have gotten cells from both types.

A pack from a good matcher will cycle within a few seconds of the numbers on the label. I have had Schumacher (not available in the US ) and Fusion packs that were with in 2 seconds of the run time on the labels. That is exceptional.

I have had packs from a very big company and a very small company that cycled 30-40 seconds low on their first cycle .

I think the key to getting really good cells is getting really fresh cells from a matcher with really high turn over. Why? Smaller matchers will match a few cases at a time, set aside cells that are good but don't have enough matching cells to make up a pack then match them to similar cells next time they get a few more cases. During this time the cells on the shelf age and change. They will not be the same weeks later. If they matcher tried to recycle them into the next batch now they have more cycles on them than their sister cells and they will not age in a pack at the same rate as fresher cells.

High volume matchers are continuously matching dozens if not hundreds of cases a month. Their cells never sit around for more than a few days. If they are not matched into a pack quickly they get lumped with bulk cells and sold off as stick packs.

I run Schumacher cells that I order for myself from Schu UK. They are too expensive to sell in the US due to the extreme competition in this market but they are awesome.

If I were to change I would go to:

1. Fusion, Paul Wynn our top US driver runs them, loads of FL guys run them so I see production and team packs...guess what! They are the same! At the Snowbirds the Hobby Shop had pack for sale that were as good or better than the stuff given to PW. Fusion numbers are also for real. They cycle just like the labels indicate they should. The fact that they are assembled well put them up on my 2nd choice. I know John and I know how fast he turn over his cells. It is entirely possible that the cells in Fusion packs in your LHS have been in the country for less than a month.

2. SMC, EA, Kinetix. These all come from SMC and they are just as good as the Fusions match wise. I am pretty sure SMC is the biggest matcher in the US. Yes, I think they sell more race packs than Trinity. SMC also has super fresh cells. Anything you get from SMC or their OEM clients are excellent. FYI, the EA cells at the 2005 Snowbirds were better than the cells given to SMC team drivers. Once again you can easily buy team level cells over the counter.

I am sure there are more matchers that are just as good as SMC and Fusion but these are he companies I have have experience with so they are my choices.
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #43
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Team Associated, Reedy, Tekin, Futaba, Putnam, Protoform, BSR, SXT, Reflex Racing, McPappy Racing, TQ Wire, Swifty Designs
Jeff Cuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #44
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Steve Bahnatka

ladies and gentlemen,2 time snowbird nation champion....JEFF CUFFS!!!!!
Steve Bahnatka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #45
Tech Addict

on a world scale orion has the best record..current world champion... cell macthers in the U.S cant go thru as many cells as orion ....its all driver ...
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote