Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

DIFF FLUID GUIDE INFO

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well i raced today using 2.5 million in the front and 5,000 in the rear. the front on both cars seamed to push going in and coming out of any type of corners regardless on or off the throttle so out it comes and back to my 100,000 weight in the front. maybe try 150,000
Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Tech Champion

I have not raced outdoors for years but I would suggest trying a spool up front and 2k rear oil.

Should be a good starting point
Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hanzo3
What is the best way to clean out a diff with putty? I want to try 2.5 million in there. I heard alcohol works. What is your method besides buying a new diff.
I currently have this problem too.

I would use a tooth pick and some of those sticks with cotton on each end to clean out the diff casing if you are on a budget, get as much as you can out, then replace the gears.

If that doesn't work, it's time to get a new diff.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Dilute the putty with some light weight shock oil to help get it out.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i use the putty itself... i get a ball of unused putty from the can then dab it quickly on the putty in the diff and gears... the putty in the diff will stick to the unused putty. takes some time and patience to get everything off but it's really the best way to take everything out...
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by touringdriver
Well i raced today using 2.5 million in the front and 5,000 in the rear. the front on both cars seamed to push going in and coming out of any type of corners regardless on or off the throttle so out it comes and back to my 100,000 weight in the front. maybe try 150,000
Is it a particularly small/tight asphalt track?

I haven't found anyone that didn't think that a front spool gave better drive out of a corner.
You certainly shouldn't be seeing lots of understeer when running 2.5million in a front gear diff.

I usually find that a thick front gear diff feels better than a spool, but is actually slower.

Skiddins
Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

5,000wt in the rear is most likely causing the push entering the corner, and the front differential action is causing the push coming out of the corner. 5,000 wt. in the rear might work if your car is really free entering corners, but in general is far too heavy for a rear diff. I would try 1,000-2,000 as a starting point for most tracks.

As for the front diff, I tried it for awhile but went back to using a spool under all conditions. It tends to be more consistent over the course of a run, and removes one variable from the tuning equation... Switching to 100,000 would significantly decrease the forward drive you have coming out the corner - almost to the point where the front tires aren't really helping you accelerate through and out of the corner. You'd also lose a ton of time in long sweeping corners, since you'd be required to throttle back to maintain a good line.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

If you changed from 100k to 2.5m and didn't change anything else, yes I can see it pushing. You have to tune around it, but with thicker oil or a spool, you get a lot more corner exit speed at the cost of steering. I was running putty front, 2k rear on my S411 2 gear in mod on asphalt. I am trying 7k and 10k in the rear, and shifting to the front spool. Will be adjusting other things to make the front spool work though.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have an t4 '14 and we race on a small indoor carpet track (6.5 to 7.5 lap times). I was having trouble getting into corners tight and with speed. Went to Gravity RC 1 million cst. That helped getting into corners, but my back end would fishtail coming out the corner onto the straight. Per Gravity RC suggestion, I went to 2.5 million cst. 1K was in the rear in both situations. Anyway, I love this setup. I can get into corners tight and with speed and I can power out of them without being gentle on the throttle. Idk how this setup would work on a larger track, but I love it on our small, tight track.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

you are right about I find it easier to find more turn in rather than find more exit steering!

Originally Posted by hyujmn
I tend to prefer a spool up front over a gear diff. Turn in is great with a gear diff with 2.5million oil, but the drive out just isn't nearly as good as a spool. Besides, in general, I find it easier to find more turn in rather than find more exit steering. I'd rather have the exit steering there and play with other things to get more turn in.

2.5million front/3k rear sounds like a pretty decent starting point though. I've found that in the rear diff, as you go softer on the oil, you gain off power steering. The opposite can be true in that thicker rear oil will generally increase on power steering.