Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
OMG I charged my stick pack the wrong way! >

OMG I charged my stick pack the wrong way!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMG I charged my stick pack the wrong way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bring the pack voltage to 0 with some sort of discharger (if u dont have, automotive 12v lamps will do the work). Use some sort of reading device to make sure the voltage is really 0! This is important, because if u have some energy in there u will kill whats left of the battery and possible harm yureself! then short circuit the batterie by connecting the plus and minus plugs.

I think there is some better explanation about this technique on the smc site.

Personally im not a fan of dead shorting because i feel it can reduce battery life. Besides i run modified and there is no big advantage there. But yure batterie is as good as dead, so no big risk here.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

By dead shorting it brings the cells down and then equalizes the power between the cells, meaning is one cell is at .02volts and one is at -.02 volts they will transfer power between the cells and make box .00 volts... leaving the deadshort on for a week or so will allow them enough time to do so.... just discharging down to 0.00 volts per pack will not do the same thing because some of the cells may still be reversed.......

I'll bet that if you do this your cells will be just fine....

DEADSHORTING- discharge your cells down until they read 0.10 or less per pack not per cell, but stay above 0.01 per pack.... place a jumper wire between the positive and negative terminal and remove the discharge device.... allow the cells to set for at least a few days, a week would be better. start by charging the cells slowly, a good long trickle charge would be better.... once they read above 5.4 volts per pack then you can give them a good 5 amp charge to peak..... your pack may falsepeak a few times during the charge cycle........
Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

k thanks will try that