Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
I need a new hobby: 1950 Chevy Street Rod RC >

I need a new hobby: 1950 Chevy Street Rod RC

I need a new hobby: 1950 Chevy Street Rod RC

Old 02-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I need a new hobby: 1950 Chevy Street Rod RC

So, I'm actually a car guy and would prefer to be wrenching on a street rod, but I'm a father of 4 with all of them in private school and sports, so, there you go. As a trade off, I'm considering getting into RC cars. What I'd like to do is build my dream street rod in RC form. That being a 47-53 Chevy pickup.

I've found the Pro-Line Early 50's Chevy body...but here's the rub: Its intended for 1/10 monster trucks or crawlers like the Stampede or Tamiya CC01. I looked at Touring chassis for it but, if I'm right, they're way too wide for the body. I found specs for the Chevy that say the width is 165mm, but the 1/10 Tourers seem to come in around 190mm.

Not one to give up easily, I found the M-Chassis. Some of these seem to fit from a width perspective, but as far as length, they're all way too short.

So, long story short, here's my question: Would I be crazy to take a M-Chassis such as an HPI Cup Racer or an ABC Genetic (if I can find them) and cut and stretch it to fit the body? Obviously, this would appear to be easier with a RWD chassis like the Tamiya M06, but I really like the idea of AWD.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I Think Parma/PSE use to have an early 50's chevy p/u body - (Before MONSTER trucks came out) - I know a couple guys had them on pan car chassis' a long time ago.

A lot of these old bodies were rebranded to MONSTER truck as a way to sell them - not sure if they bodies changed or not
Old 02-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, SWTour.

I see Parma has the 1/12 Midnight Pumpkin which is a '56 Ford. Says its a Tamiya direct fit. Looks nice. They also have something called the Speed Shop Hauler but its just a generic old truck. I hate to be picky...I just fell in love with that Proline. Its what I've always wanted to build a full size truck of.

Is it possible to custom build a chassis? I keep seeing all the complete kits, but can you buy individual stuff (easily) and build something one-off? Like, can you get a 'base plate/mount/belly pan' (sorry, don't know the proper term) then buy a complete suspension kit and build want you need from there? I know I see individual suspension components like springs and shots and a-arms, but I could see that nickle-and-diming you to death...
Old 02-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by beuge
I see Parma has the 1/12 Midnight Pumpkin which is a '56 Ford. Says its a Tamiya direct fit.
That means it's a direct replacement for the stock kit truck body (which is similar to a Grasshopper/Hornet off-road buggy). Not a "generic Tamiya" direct fit for like touring cars and stuff.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, JimmyMack. Yeah, I see that truck on Tamiya's website.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Changing the wheelbase of Tamiya mini chassis is pretty standard, Tamiya themselves include spacers to adjust the wheelbase to make them fit different bodies. Here are a couple of modified mini chassis to fit the smaller Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin body example1 example 2

Nothing to stop you scratch building a chassis and suspension to fit either, even a more scale chassis

Making a longer wheelbase ABC Genetic is pretty simple, just make a longer chassis and upper deck using G10 fibreglass, carbon fibre or aluminium sheet, and then a longer propshaft to join the gearboxes and you are done.

A simpler first project might be the Parma Chevy Bel Air, fits straight on any touring car chassis without modification, but can end up like this.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Terry.sc, you, my friend, are a God send. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is the kind of stuff that I've been looking for and have been unable to find.

That black Ford is AMAZING. Its EXACTLY like I had in mind to do with the Chevy...right down to the flat black, rat-rod paint. And that its on an M02 chassis would seem to greatly simplify things.

And your breakdown of how to extend the Genetic is pretty much what I was thinking would need to be done. Nice to know I was thinking in the right direction...

Thanks again. God bless.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Check out this post on RCTECH.net for a Parma 1934 Ford Truck body mounted on a 1/10 4wd chassis (Team Associated TC3). I realize that this isn't a Chevy, but it you can see how a 1/10 truck body fits.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/8830553-post11559.html

Here is a pic

----------

There are several companies that make 50's car bodies (for racing). If you do a web search for LEXAN BOMBER BODY, you should get good results.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-23-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

IndyRC_Racer, you may have hit on something significant there. I ran the search you suggested which led me to RCCarKings.net. They have a listing for something called the RJ Speed 53 C Pickup wide (BOL2342). I think its meant for a 1/10 road chassis from the look of things, but their pictures are really low res and details are sparse. But from what I can see, its proportions look far more natural.

I just can't find it on RJ Speed's site. Might have to email or call someone...

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

IndyRC_Racer, you may have hit on something significant there. I ran the search you suggested which led me to RCCarKings.net. They have a listing for something called the RJ Speed 53 C Pickup wide (BOL2342). I think its meant for a 1/10 road chassis from the look of things, but their pictures are really low res and details are sparse. But from what I can see, its proportions look far more natural.

I just can't find it on RJ Speed's site. Might have to email or call someone...

Thank you.
R/C Car Kings carry the RJSpeed "vintage" bodies. You won't find 'em on RJSpeed's site.

http://www.rccarkings.net/bodies.htm#rjspeed

But, here's some other RJSpeed/RC Car King bodies:

'56 Ford BOL2239:

'41 Chevy BOL2240:

'68 El Camino BOL2247:

'49 Ford BOL2277:

'40 Ford BOL2353:

'84 S10 BOL2397:
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

This is the one that grabbed my attention...

RJ Speed 1/10 Classic & Trucks 53 C Pickup - Wide- Body
Part # BOL2342

rccarkings.net/2342_200.jpg

(I tried to post the image, but got blocked because I'm too new to this site still)
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If you're going for super-scale - Why not start with an Axial SCX-10 chassis, and build it to be a true body-on-frame vehicle? I think I've already seen this done on other scale forums - I'll see if I can find it again.
You could utilize the chassis and rear axle, driveline, and trans, and fab up a way to mount IFS from another vehicle (or braze up your own).
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Here we go... Not complete, but quite a start to a gasser project.
http://kevinjowett.com/kjs_rcs/rod_1/rodone_stp_4.jpg
Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

This is the one that grabbed my attention...

RJ Speed 1/10 Classic & Trucks 53 C Pickup - Wide- Body
Part # BOL2342

[img]rccarkings.net/2342_200.jpg[/img]
If you want it on an M-02 chassis, you don't want the "wide" body. That's 9" - 228mm wide. You want a "narrower" body (probably 190mm -7 1/2").
Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorcerer, thanks for that. I really like that idea, but I think I might save that for my 2nd project...once I've gotten my feet wet.

JimmyMack, I had only mentioned the M-02 because it seemed to fit width-wise under the Proline body. And, at the time, The Proline was the only 47-53 Chevy truck body I had found.

Can I just say, to everyone who has chimed in: Thanks. I've been on other forums for computers and cars and stuff and quote often gotten zero response. You guys have been a huge, huge help. Thanks for making a noob feel welcome...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.