R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #556
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Any other users have issues logging in via Iphone with Safari? I did an IOS update a couple of days ago and now I can't login. I did verify it works using a home computer and chrome on the iphone.

REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #557
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Noob to on-road racing here. Raced off-road for years, but its a totally different world. I'm practicing at my local indoor carpet track, and am wondering where you draw the line with traction...how do you know you've sauced your tires enough, vs. changing suspension settings? Being a total newbie to the carpet racing thing, folks told me I wasn't putting enough SXT on the tires (SXT is the only sauce allowed) and that was the issue with my car slamming the wall at the end of the long front straight.

Car is a TC4, setup for VTA. It wants to turn in sharply, seems to hook well on the corner entry, but then goes into a 4-tire drift out until physics stops it (two objects can't occupy the same space...and the wall is already there!).

What are recommendations for how to sauce your tires, and then, how do you adjust the car? Where do you 'draw the line' with traction compound vs. suspension adjustments?

Thanks!
Byrdman

(I don't have my setup sheet here to reference...can pull it tonight when I get home, though...but I'm looking more for generalities than specifics right now)
MCKNBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #558
Tech Addict

I'm running on carpet stock 17.5 rubber
I have some on/off power
problems (Back end slides)
So I have 6f5r for droop
1.5 cam
so should I lower cam link on bulk head in rear ? For more grip?
sakura zero cf narrow
med/high traction
accociated 80wgt in rear dif
50000 in front diff
stiff spring in front soft in rear ...dont know #
shock oil 35 f/r

on the f bulk 2mm 0 f outer r bulk 2.5mm 0 on outer

i did buy mr Crisp app. and if i read this right i would lower the rear bulk
head....? if so by how much?

thanks
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #559
Tech Adept

I wasn't able to log in with my IPad, but had no problems logging in with my android phone.
Bull_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #560
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Martin,

If you were running a perfect set up and the traction comes up really fast beyond where it usually is and you start traction rolling, what minor adjustment would you make to help with that while not screwing up the set up? On carpet if that matters.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #561
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Martin,

If you were running a perfect set up and the traction comes up really fast beyond where it usually is and you start traction rolling, what minor adjustment would you make to help with that while not screwing up the set up? On carpet if that matters.
The easiest thing to change without changing roll centers is to reduce droop. start with .5mm till it gets better. The other would be to raise the inner upper links to lower roll center a little. Start with less sauce in the front for a shorter soak time too. And lastly... increase negative camber front and rear by 0.5 degree. this should help the tires slide a little rather than roll over.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #562
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Hello! A few questions:

"-ve" means negative camber, correct? Sometimes you refer to "more camber", do you mean "more negative camber"? e.g. "This can produce the opposite affect, if you had more camber than optimal camber, and thus by reducing the negative camber you are actually increasing the contact patch of the tire." I am not quite following that statement.

Regarding roll center, do I have this right: moving inboard/upper link position down moves RC up, and moving inboard/upper link position out (away from chassis) also moves RC up?
Regarding my confusion on roll center, is it me or is Randy Pike stating the opposite of what is in the guide? http://www.randypikerc.com/tip-of-th...ber-and-links/
Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #563
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Regarding my confusion on roll center, is it me or is Randy Pike stating the opposite of what is in the guide? http://www.randypikerc.com/tip-of-th...ber-and-links/
It looks to me like they are both right, just stated differently.
Negative camber is always with the top of the tire more inward than the bottom. 99% of the time you will use negative camber or zero camber. It's very rare that + camber is used unless you race oval. That being said, some negative camber will increase the contact patch on the outer tire during a turn due to grip and sidewall deflection. If you add more than the optimum (-) camber, only the inner portion of the tire tread will make contact with the ground even during a turn. This is why it is sometimes useful to add a little more (-) caster than optimal as it can help with traction roll since the contact patch is over center from optimal. Caster has an effect on this as well. but for this explanation, we can disregard that.
Now Randy doesn't refer to roll center when describing the effects of moving the links. He does however describes the effects rather than the relativity to roll center. The position of the links increasing or decreasing roll center is actually relative to the complete geometry of the suspension system. Generally speaking for most TC designs, raising the inner upper link position lowers the Roll center and vis-versa. Shortening the upper link increases camber gain because the arc of the link is a tighter radius during it's travel than a longer link.
Length does effect RC but not very much. The upper link position is also a minor RC change compared to moving the lower arm hinge point.
Hope this is clearer.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #564
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I didn't want to get too deep into roll centers with just camber links. As mentioned before there is SOOOO man other factors when discussing roll center.

I certainly will not claim to be an expert. I state more often than not that these are "general" theories that I've found to work for me.

You are not the only one that can get confused on roll centers, I've been there many times myself and often have to "see it" to make sure I'm on the mark.

I will do an article on roll center but it's a bit further down the road.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,KoPropUSA,JConcepts,Avid RC,MIP,SikLidz,ImagineItGraphx, FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #565
Tech Adept

Hi martin, what would you expect going up in .1mm piston hole size to make to a touring car in general terms, how would it affect the handling. For example 3 hole pistons.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #566
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks dudes. Randy, I think you are right in explaining overall effects on handling of certain settings.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #567
Tech Regular

What happened to the IOS app ???? I paid for it and sorry that it dosen't work anymore ??
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #568
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
Any other users have issues logging in via Iphone with Safari? I did an IOS update a couple of days ago and now I can't login. I did verify it works using a home computer and chrome on the iphone.
yep same here once i downloaded google chrome it worked from there!!1

Last edited by buckeye dan; 02-16-2015 at 06:45 AM.
buckeye dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #569
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
What happened to the IOS app ???? I paid for it and sorry that it dosen't work anymore ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
yep same here once i downloaded google chrome it worked from there!!1
Ask me Setup Questions - Martin Crisp

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #570
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Thanks for the info and link to the explanation.
But now we have to pay again for the same service just on another platform ??? Why......
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote