R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san. View Post
Joseph DePinto, you're just bad at analogies. Please stop. Hudy/Xray have how many employees? Sell kits and parts for like $2000? (it's an inside joke). Martin is one person.

Send me your PayPal via PM and I will refund you the $10 that broke your bank. Just promise to no longer post in this thread.
I'll split it with you. Send me your PM and I will give you $5

I am just back into on road. I don't even know Martin or who or what he does. All I know is I bought this app, I have sent him several emails and the help has so far been invaluable. Well worth $10.

Keep on rollin'
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #452
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Ok, so I wanted to respond on RC TECH about the fact that my setupworkbench app does not work on IOS 8. It still works on Android, IOS6 and IOS7 just to be clear.

First let me say that I am sorry that it does not work on IOS 8, which was as much a surprise to me as it was to you, given it worked fine when migrating from IOS 6 to IOS 7. I guess Apple no longer supports how the app was built, thus not allowing it to run anymore.

I wish I could resolve the issue by fixing whatever the problem is, but I no longer have the source code for the app, due to a hard disk crash.

About a year ago I had indicated on RC Tech and setupworkbench.com, that my new learnsetup.com app was were my future development would go because it is a "web app" that looks like a native app, meaning it can run on any device (tablet, phone, computer) as long as that device has a relatively modern browser.

Also one big additional feature on the learnsetup.com app over the setupworkbench.com app, is the ability to see pro setups as well as share your own setups (or keep them private). I also took the opportunity to re-organize and clean up some of the Setup Knowledge content when migrating that content from setupworkbench.com to learnsetup.com

When I launched learnsetup.com about a year ago, I provided a huge discount on the price so that people that had the setupworkbench.com app could switch to learnsetup.com without much cost. It is now almost a year later and unfortunately I can no longer support setupworkbench.com given the changes made in IOS 8 and not having the source code any more.

So I have been asked to provide a discount again for people to switch from setupworkbench to learnsetup.com.

The learnsetup.com app is priced as an annual subscription to cover my ongoing hosting costs of the backend server that allows you to share your setups. Just to be transparent this learnsetup.com app has generated a total of $1,450.71 of revenue so far, which clearly is not a lot of money. I share that with you only because Joseph DePinto seems to think I do this to "fund my full size car racing". I do this to share knowledge in a global way, so that drivers can get more out of their cars and enjoy a higher level of competition. Sure I charge for it, because I have costs to offset but trust me this does not put even a small dent in my full size car racing Joseph DePinto.

Joseph Depinto also has the point of view that I am "unprofessional", "a liar", and "a Cheat".

Trust me I get why Joseph was frustrated that the app no longer works on IOS 8, but at a cost of $10 he got to use the app for 1 year and I felt that was a more than reasonable amount of money to spend for the value the app brings. Joseph indicated he "USES IT ALL THE TIME".

So I realize I can't please everyone all the time, and certainly people are entitled to their points of view.

OK.... SOOOO.....

I started thinking that all the help I have provided over the years in person and through this forum is just not worth it, when people like Joseph just don't seem to care or respect what I do in terms of trying to help people understand how to setup their RC cars.

So....this lead me to think....well it is just not worth the aggravation and shut everything down.

But then I remembered all of the people that have really appreciated learning more about setup over the years, and realize that shutting everything down would just be stupid.

So although I disagree with Joseph and frankly pissed off and offended by his comments, I also reminded myself that since this does not really make much money anyway and my goal was to share setup knowledge first and make a few dollars second, I am going to offer a 50% discount on learnsetup.com for the first year subscription, during the month of October 2014.

You can signup at http://www.learnsetup.com

I am sure someone else will find something to complain about! LOL.

Martin,

This is a noble gesture; uncommon for what you can expect from people these days.

I and many others appreciate the time and effort you've put into helping both the RC and Full size race car community.

Thanks and have a good weekend.
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #453
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by san. View Post
Joseph DePinto, you're just bad at analogies. Please stop. Hudy/Xray have how many employees? Sell kits and parts for like $2000? (it's an inside joke). Martin is one person.

Send me your PayPal via PM and I will refund you the $10 that broke your bank. Just promise to no longer post in this thread.
Nah I don't need the money nor do I want your money.
I'd rather be a thorn in your side.
The last time I checked we Americans have the freedom of speech.
My comments with martin were taken out of context and posted on this thread by him and in no way reflect my opinion or conversation with him.

No one is going to tell me what my valuations are, whether I paid $10.00 or $10,000.00

It's not about the money, it's about his response and unprofessionalism.
None of us are going to get rich at this, and if you want to make a small fortune at it you need to start with a large one.
https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #454
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thank you Martin for all of your efforts. I have learned so much from you. I took the time to copy your chart... If this then do that chart... and have it in a notebook. This information has been fantastic and I truly appreciate your input on this forum. The guy or guys(s) that are complaining about a problem with the Apple App etc. should get a life. I know you do this for the sake of helping others. You have helped me greatly. For every complainer in this world there are 1000 very satisfied customers/pupils. Kudos to a GREAT TEACHER!

Last edited by SouthFloridaApp; 10-03-2014 at 09:45 AM.
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #455
Tech Master

I can't believe the whining over $10 bucks.... Martin keep up the good work, don't let the small minded people bring you down. Come to Edmonton in April and race on the big track and see how much you are appreciated.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #456
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
My comments with martin were taken out of context and posted on this thread by him and in no way reflect my opinion or conversation with him.

No one is going to tell me what my valuations are, whether I paid $10.00 or $10,000.00

It's not about the money, it's about his response and unprofessionalism.
None of us are going to get rich at this, and if you want to make a small fortune at it you need to start with a large one.
Ummm, I think YOU need to keep in mind that you are on PRIVATELY OWNED forum, 1st Ammendment rights have NOTHING to do with it. If the owners of RC Tech decide they don't like something a person says, they can do whatever they want with it(just saying as an fyi, not threatening to do anything here). And if you(or anyone else) try to troll threads here, you WILL be shut down. So I'd STRONGLY suggest that you take a break form this one, before things get out of hand.
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #457
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the support! It means more than you know!

So lets focus on setups. You can post your questions here and share with everyone or you can email me at mcrisp@learnsetup.com

Just finished watching Petite Lemans! Great Race!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I understand what ackerman does, just not shure how to change it. I know all cars have a couple or three holes on the knuckle and on horizontal linkage, you can add/remove washers. My question lies in the angle of the link.

If veiwing the linkage from above, what angle gives more or less ackerman?
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #459
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I understand what ackerman does, just not shure how to change it. I know all cars have a couple or three holes on the knuckle and on horizontal linkage, you can add/remove washers. My question lies in the angle of the link.

If veiwing the linkage from above, what angle gives more or less ackerman?
Hi,

Here are some overhead pictures of ackerman from my http://www.learnsetup.com app, cars that shows how the angle of the links affect ackerman.

In the first example steering links are pushed further forward from the bell crank by adding spacers. This creates less ackerman, meaning the difference in the angle between the outside wheel and the inside wheel is less. This scenario will give you more mid corner steering.

In the second example the steering lilnks are pushed backward towards the bell crank by removing spacers. This creates more ackerman, meaning the difference in the angle between the outside wheen and the inside wheel is greater. This scenario will give you more initial turn in but cause the car to push more in the middle of the corner, especially the tighter the corner is.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
You aren't a thorn in anyone's side. Have you considered an alternative description? I think "narcissist buzzkill douchebag" kind of fits. The only pain in the ass you are causing is the collateral damage your nonsense inflicts on other innocent users.

I'm blocking you after I post this. Do whatever you want.

Quote:
You are correct, and you are also wrong.

Freedom of speech means the government cannot come down and arrest you for saying whatever it is you want to say. Some of us who love the constitution were horrified by the recent events in Furgeson, where those arrests were exactly what happened.

Also, your first amendment rights can be waived at any time, given your consent. Go read the user agreement you agreed to when you signed up here, because you already volunteered to waive them. Next time you go to an Amusement park like Disneyland, get a magnifying glass, and read the ticket disclaimer.

Lastly....and this is completely sincere, please seek some therapy. $10 shouldn't bother you this much.
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #461
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Martin,

I have been to a race with control tyre, my settings was ok for cold track but when the sun came out without changing anything the car just push, understeering, what changes will in this case, look to be that the front tires just overheat in two laps.

thanks.
Nuno.
Nuno Gancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #462
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho View Post
Hi Martin,

I have been to a race with control tyre, my settings was ok for cold track but when the sun came out without changing anything the car just push, understeering, what changes will in this case, look to be that the front tires just overheat in two laps.

thanks.
Nuno.
Hi Nuno,

For sure, track temps and sun will play a huge roll in how the car handles, just as it does with full size cars. If your car was neutral in its handling to begin with, then perhaps you might have seen a a push develop as well as on power oversteer on exit. Since you are only only seeing a push and your front tires are overheating, that tells me your car may not have been really balanced before the temp change. So we really need to work on things that either give you more front grip or less rear grip, to get a better balance on the car. Unfortunately, there are sooo many options to do that, it would not really make sense for me to make any specific suggestions. Also I am not sure if your car is pushing while off power, on power or both

Cheers
Martin.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #463
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Martin,

Someone at my local track recommended your XXX Main book. Will that add more to my learning or is everything from that book already in your learnsetup app that I already subscribed to?

Thanks.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #464
Tech Fanatic

I just answered via email a setup question that I wanted to share online here, that explains why sometimes putting a softer spring on the front of the car will actually reduce the amount of steering you get...

--

Making a car setup change can often affect the handling in two different ways depending on what the rest of your setup is like and also how extreme of a change you are making. keeping this in mind let me try to explain why the harder spring in the front did not take away any steering.

Certainly the conventional and often correct rule is that if you soften the front springs you will get more steering because you are allowing the car to transfer more weight forward under braking or an off power situation, giving the front tires more relative grip than the rear. However if you take this too far the following two things can happen and will take away steering.

1) The front are of the chassis hits the driving surface, which takes away downforce on the front tires, reducing their grip and thus causing a push scenario.

2) The softer front springs will allow the front of the car to lean more which increases the difference in downward force between the front left and front right tires. The greater this difference the less grip the front tires will make.

So as with many things in setup you need to keep in mind a bigger picture of how the setup change and often when you take things to an extreme you can see the opposite effect.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #465
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Martin,

Someone at my local track recommended your XXX Main book. Will that add more to my learning or is everything from that book already in your learnsetup app that I already subscribed to?

Thanks.
The book is good, but I wrote it almost 15 years ago. I have learned more about setup int he past 15 years, so the app has more helpful information in it.

Also you can store and share setups using the learnsetup.com app.

At least with the app, as I learn more or find better ways to clarify things I can easily update the app for you.

Cheers
Martin.