R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #436
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Ok, so I wanted to respond on RC TECH about the fact that my setupworkbench app does not work on IOS 8. It still works on Android, IOS6 and IOS7 just to be clear.

First let me say that I am sorry that it does not work on IOS 8, which was as much a surprise to me as it was to you, given it worked fine when migrating from IOS 6 to IOS 7. I guess Apple no longer supports how the app was built, thus not allowing it to run anymore.

I wish I could resolve the issue by fixing whatever the problem is, but I no longer have the source code for the app, due to a hard disk crash.

About a year ago I had indicated on RC Tech and setupworkbench.com, that my new learnsetup.com app was were my future development would go because it is a "web app" that looks like a native app, meaning it can run on any device (tablet, phone, computer) as long as that device has a relatively modern browser.

Also one big additional feature on the learnsetup.com app over the setupworkbench.com app, is the ability to see pro setups as well as share your own setups (or keep them private). I also took the opportunity to re-organize and clean up some of the Setup Knowledge content when migrating that content from setupworkbench.com to learnsetup.com

When I launched learnsetup.com about a year ago, I provided a huge discount on the price so that people that had the setupworkbench.com app could switch to learnsetup.com without much cost. It is now almost a year later and unfortunately I can no longer support setupworkbench.com given the changes made in IOS 8 and not having the source code any more.

So I have been asked to provide a discount again for people to switch from setupworkbench to learnsetup.com.

The learnsetup.com app is priced as an annual subscription to cover my ongoing hosting costs of the backend server that allows you to share your setups. Just to be transparent this learnsetup.com app has generated a total of $1,450.71 of revenue so far, which clearly is not a lot of money. I share that with you only because Joseph DePinto seems to think I do this to "fund my full size car racing". I do this to share knowledge in a global way, so that drivers can get more out of their cars and enjoy a higher level of competition. Sure I charge for it, because I have costs to offset but trust me this does not put even a small dent in my full size car racing Joseph DePinto.

Joseph Depinto also has the point of view that I am "unprofessional", "a liar", and "a Cheat".

Trust me I get why Joseph was frustrated that the app no longer works on IOS 8, but at a cost of $10 he got to use the app for 1 year and I felt that was a more than reasonable amount of money to spend for the value the app brings. Joseph indicated he "USES IT ALL THE TIME".

So I realize I can't please everyone all the time, and certainly people are entitled to their points of view.

OK.... SOOOO.....

I started thinking that all the help I have provided over the years in person and through this forum is just not worth it, when people like Joseph just don't seem to care or respect what I do in terms of trying to help people understand how to setup their RC cars.

So....this lead me to think....well it is just not worth the aggravation and shut everything down.

But then I remembered all of the people that have really appreciated learning more about setup over the years, and realize that shutting everything down would just be stupid.

So although I disagree with Joseph and frankly pissed off and offended by his comments, I also reminded myself that since this does not really make much money anyway and my goal was to share setup knowledge first and make a few dollars second, I am going to offer a 50% discount on learnsetup.com for the first year subscription, during the month of October 2014.

You can signup at http://www.learnsetup.com

I am sure someone else will find something to complain about! LOL.
I appreciate your effort.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I still have the book from years ago... but I may have to jump into the modern world and get the app . Have learned a lot from this thread.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #438
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey Martin,
I appreciate the discount and had I known about the original switch over I would have subscribed back then but I'm a little slow. Gonna check out the new hotness tonight. That being said... How bout those pan cars eh!
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #439
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Hey Martin,
I appreciate the discount and had I known about the original switch over I would have subscribed back then but I'm a little slow. Gonna check out the new hotness tonight. That being said... How bout those pan cars eh!
No pan car soup for you!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #440
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Dudes, Apple messed this up. Write them some hate mail.

I've been using learnsetup.com and really like it. it's perfect for when you seem to hit a wall and need an idea of where to go with the setup. Works great on everything I've used it on.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #441
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I was playing around with it last night. Very cool. One thing that would raise the coolness factor to like 1000 would be under set up sheets if they had the actual ones from the most common cars that we could go input our data into.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #442
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
I appreciate your effort.
Thanks Mark!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
I still have the book from years ago... but I may have to jump into the modern world and get the app . Have learned a lot from this thread.
Yeah that book has to be something like 15 years old now lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Hey Martin,
Sorry I was not able to communicate well enough about the original discount.

I wish I could help on pan cars, but don't know much about them to be honest. Maybe someone who is a pan car expert can work with me to add a section on pan cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
No pan car soup for you!
2 years...
LMAO !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Dudes, Apple messed this up. Write them some hate mail.

I've been using learnsetup.com and really like it. it's perfect for when you seem to hit a wall and need an idea of where to go with the setup. Works great on everything I've used it on.
Thanks Troy! Glad you are getting value from learnsetup.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
I was playing around with it last night. Very cool. One thing that would raise the coolness factor to like 1000 would be under set up sheets if they had the actual ones from the most common cars that we could go input our data into.
Good idea for sure. The setup sheet is designed to be generic so it will work with just about any chassis, but perhaps it would be a good idea to include some baseline setups for all the popular chassis. There are some pro setups on there for XRAY, Tamiya, Yokomo, CSO/Outlaw, Serpent. I would be happy to add some for other chassis...just drop me a line at mcrisp@learnsetup.com with either a baseline factory setup or well known pro setup and I will add it to the list of "shared setups" on the app right away!

Perhaps Kevin Hebert, you can send me a setup for Team Associated?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #443
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default pistons

Hello Martin,

my kit comes with 2x 1.1 pistons.
would going to 4x1.1 decrease pack or damping?

Why would I go to more of the same sized holes?
D.
mtbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #444
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbboy View Post
Hello Martin,

my kit comes with 2x 1.1 pistons.
would going to 4x1.1 decrease pack or damping?

Why would I go to more of the same sized holes?
D.
Good question. Going to more same sized holes will for sure decrease the amount of slow speed dampening, meaning the car will dive, squat or lean more quickly, which can be good or bad depending on where you were staring from and what the track conditions are.

In terms of high speed dampening I am not really sure to be honest. I suspect that it might also decrease the amount of high speed dampening but I could also see how it might not affect the high speed dampening at all. I would have to research this. Maybe there are some fluid dynamics engineers on this thread that would know the answer to the high speed dampening behaviour of 4 1.1mm holes vs 2 1.1.mm holes

cheers
M
Old 10-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #445
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
Hey Martin Crisp

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

😜

Yours Truly
Joseph DePinto
A direct insult is a direct insult no matter how badly it's spelt, and should have no place on any forum.

Shame on you.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #446
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Martin. I know a lot of people really appreciate what you've done. Often the negative people are a minority by a long shot, but tend to be far more vocal.

Hope to see you out racing again sometime before the Nats. If you can make it, come to Lou's on Saturday for the Fall Fiasco. 8 of us signed up for Mod right now. Come show us how it's done sir or just be my mechanic for the day

I still need to sign up for learnsetup.com. I won a year free at the Boston Pizza dinner at last years nats and forgot to use it. If I learn setup though, I'll have to come up with other excuses for poor results.

See you at a track soon, hopefully. Don't let idiots with entitlement issues get to you man.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #447
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Martin.....Don't let one dumb turd ruin this thread for the rest of us. Although I have never asked a question, I do enjoy reading the posts and have learned a lot from others Q's and your replies. Thanks, keep up the good work. I'll send you a large can of my "TROLL" spray. LOL

regards,
TJ
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #448
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for all your effort. I am signing up for a subscription tonight. I just finished reading the XXX main book.

I do have one question that maybe you could help provide clarity on.

I have been working under the assumption that lowering the roll center will produce more traction on that end of the car, due to more roll. For instance, the Xray setup book states that "more chassis roll equals more grip." I also believe that this is what is stated in the XXX main book.

However, I've been reading through your comments, and it seems that you suggest higher roll centers for the end of the car that you want to create more grip through a turn. For instance, "A higher rear roll center will give the rear more grip."

Could you help me understand what's going on and whether raising or lowering a roll center produces more grip through a turn.

Thank you
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #449
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
So you purchased a book and have had it for years. You can reference it for years to come.
You received value for your money spent.
You will continue to receive value from that book.
Those that purchased an App will not receive the same value as you have and will continue to have because the app no longer works or is supported by the person who sold it, and continues to sell it.
X-ray put out a setup book and continues to update it at no extra charge.
Now that's value for your money and loyalty to your customers.
So now I ask you, who would you most likely spend your hard earned money with, a company who stands behind their products with support, or someone standing on the street with no support?

This post is not directed at any one individual nor should it be misinterpreted as such.

The point of this is to show support for all those who purchased something in good fath, and they are the ones who will determine the value of what they purchased, not the person who took their money.

Joseph DePinto
https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #450
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Joseph DePinto, you're just bad at analogies. Please stop. Hudy/Xray have how many employees? Sell kits and parts for like $2000? (it's an inside joke). Martin is one person.

Send me your PayPal via PM and I will refund you the $10 that broke your bank. Just promise to no longer post in this thread.