R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #421
Tech Addict

Default iOS8 update

Hey Martin
I just updated my iPhone to iOS8, and now I can't get my RC Car Setup Workbench App to open......
do you need to update the App, or has anyone else had this problem?
thanks for any help....

https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #422
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
Hey Martin
I just updated my iPhone to iOS8, and now I can't get my RC Car Setup Workbench App to open......
do you need to update the App, or has anyone else had this problem?
thanks for any help....

Same here IOS 8.0.2 Update now Workbench does not open hangs on Opening Page.

Note: Development of SetupWorkbench has stopped and as such does not work on IOS8

Answered my own question after searching GOOGLE

Yokomo BD7 15 & 16, Motiv 13,5, 3 Racing F113 21.5 & SP1 F1, Serpent 120LTX
Triplec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #423
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

really ?

I use that almost every weekend

is there a new version that will run ?

ed
Edwin Pibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #424
Tech Adept

Yes there is a newer version learnsetup.com but he wants $10/yr this time go to his facebook page and leave a comment.

https://www.facebook.com/setupworkbench

Brandon Shoemaker thats kinda messed up you have an app for sale for 10.00 on the app store and arnt supporting it anymore. You realize the issue in that right? I have the same issue with mine not working. So can i have my 10.00 back?

Kyle Witherspoon Yes it would be nice to have my ten bucks back

setupworkbench.com and learnsetup.com Brandon Shoemaker and Kyle Witherspoon,...so microsoft can no longer support windows 95 but I am not allowed to stop support on setupworkbench.com? No software company will promise that software you buy will continue to be supported for ever on all platforms. Sorry you feel that way, but no I will not be giving a refund on software you have used and presumably got value from, just because I no longer support it. Cheers. Martin
Like September 24 at 6:00am

Yokomo BD7 15 & 16, Motiv 13,5, 3 Racing F113 21.5 & SP1 F1, Serpent 120LTX
Triplec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #425
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Martin. Whilst I understand that you don't support the app anymore and support your decision. Could you however find it in your heart to make a small update to at least make it run on ios 8? The app is so useful because you don't need Internet access all the time. Thats the biggest problem / flaw with your latest software.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #426
Tech Addict

You're better off calling Apple for support and ask them for a solution.
Martin has no intention of updates.
You can read about it on his facebook page.
I went back and forth with him about this issue.
https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #427
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Same here as well and for other members at my track. I hate updates!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #428
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Same here as well and for other members at my track. I hate updates!
Still works fine on my Android! lol

Just remember who screwed the pooch here... it wasn't Martin. ;-)
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #429
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey Martin, realizing that you are a TC master, do you have some sort of pan car tuning tips? Maybe a good resource for how adjustments affect the characteristics of the cars performance? I pretty much got the 4 wheel independent stuff down, I'm now getting into 1/12th scale and finding it hard to locate an "all in one" setup resource. It would be nice to put the car on the carpet and not look too much like a noob...
Thanks
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #430
Tech Fanatic

Ok, so I wanted to respond on RC TECH about the fact that my setupworkbench app does not work on IOS 8. It still works on Android, IOS6 and IOS7 just to be clear.

First let me say that I am sorry that it does not work on IOS 8, which was as much a surprise to me as it was to you, given it worked fine when migrating from IOS 6 to IOS 7. I guess Apple no longer supports how the app was built, thus not allowing it to run anymore.

I wish I could resolve the issue by fixing whatever the problem is, but I no longer have the source code for the app, due to a hard disk crash.

About a year ago I had indicated on RC Tech and setupworkbench.com, that my new learnsetup.com app was were my future development would go because it is a "web app" that looks like a native app, meaning it can run on any device (tablet, phone, computer) as long as that device has a relatively modern browser.

Also one big additional feature on the learnsetup.com app over the setupworkbench.com app, is the ability to see pro setups as well as share your own setups (or keep them private). I also took the opportunity to re-organize and clean up some of the Setup Knowledge content when migrating that content from setupworkbench.com to learnsetup.com

When I launched learnsetup.com about a year ago, I provided a huge discount on the price so that people that had the setupworkbench.com app could switch to learnsetup.com without much cost. It is now almost a year later and unfortunately I can no longer support setupworkbench.com given the changes made in IOS 8 and not having the source code any more.

So I have been asked to provide a discount again for people to switch from setupworkbench to learnsetup.com.

The learnsetup.com app is priced as an annual subscription to cover my ongoing hosting costs of the backend server that allows you to share your setups. Just to be transparent this learnsetup.com app has generated a total of $1,450.71 of revenue so far, which clearly is not a lot of money. I share that with you only because Joseph DePinto seems to think I do this to "fund my full size car racing". I do this to share knowledge in a global way, so that drivers can get more out of their cars and enjoy a higher level of competition. Sure I charge for it, because I have costs to offset but trust me this does not put even a small dent in my full size car racing Joseph DePinto.

Joseph Depinto also has the point of view that I am "unprofessional", "a liar", and "a Cheat".

Trust me I get why Joseph was frustrated that the app no longer works on IOS 8, but at a cost of $10 he got to use the app for 1 year and I felt that was a more than reasonable amount of money to spend for the value the app brings. Joseph indicated he "USES IT ALL THE TIME".

So I realize I can't please everyone all the time, and certainly people are entitled to their points of view.

OK.... SOOOO.....

I started thinking that all the help I have provided over the years in person and through this forum is just not worth it, when people like Joseph just don't seem to care or respect what I do in terms of trying to help people understand how to setup their RC cars.

So....this lead me to think....well it is just not worth the aggravation and shut everything down.

But then I remembered all of the people that have really appreciated learning more about setup over the years, and realize that shutting everything down would just be stupid.

So although I disagree with Joseph and frankly pissed off and offended by his comments, I also reminded myself that since this does not really make much money anyway and my goal was to share setup knowledge first and make a few dollars second, I am going to offer a 50% discount on learnsetup.com for the first year subscription, during the month of October 2014.

You can signup at http://www.learnsetup.com

I am sure someone else will find something to complain about! LOL.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I just signed up. Thank you very much.

I am just getting back into on road and need all the help I can get to understand set ups and this looks like the app for me.

Never mind the trolls by the way, in takes more negative energy then they are worth.

Cheers
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #432
Tech Apprentice

dear martin crisp, I often read these forums to gain insight and tips for my own rc habit. I rarely post because of the shit fights that start up here. case in point. glad to see you're a man of character. good on ya mate!
97Clemow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #433
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Still works fine on my Android! lol

Just remember who screwed the pooch here... it wasn't Martin. ;-)
Lol. I know he didn't make all this happen and for the last year that I had it was worth it and I will subscribe again. $10 bucks is nothing to have great info at hand when this dummy needs it. Thanks again Martin.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #434
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
I just signed up. Thank you very much.

I am just getting back into on road and need all the help I can get to understand set ups and this looks like the app for me.

Never mind the trolls by the way, in takes more negative energy then they are worth.

Cheers
Thank you. you can always ping me at mcrisp@learnsetup.com if you need any help with setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Clemow View Post
dear martin crisp, I often read these forums to gain insight and tips for my own rc habit. I rarely post because of the shit fights that start up here. case in point. glad to see you're a man of character. good on ya mate!
Thank you!!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #435
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Lol. I know he didn't make all this happen and for the last year that I had it was worth it and I will subscribe again. $10 bucks is nothing to have great info at hand when this dummy needs it. Thanks again Martin.

Thank you. I like your quote "I maybe dumb, but I am not stupid" I think I will use that one with my wife

Cheers.
M