R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #391
Tech Apprentice

Hi Martin,

I race on outdoor asphalt and find the setup changes quite a lot during the day (mainly but not limited to track temperature i guess). I find the car has more steering midday and this might even evolve into oversteer. Would you recommend a stiffer front swaybar as a preemptive setup change or something similar? possibly raising the front roll center?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #392
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Simplest is thicker rear diff oil, which you should be able to do if you've reduced rear toe already.
Will give it a try! thanks.

Regards Robert
Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #393
Tech Adept

hey martin how to free up car with spool low grip asphalt
to slow for you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #394
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Without changing the length of the upper link, if you move it more outboard, you will raise the RC a very small amount. Likewise if you moved it more inboard without changing the length of the upper link then you would lower ther RC a very small amount (like about 0.1mm)

My guess is that setup you have will push a lot.

What is it you are wanting to be different about the handling and balance of the car?
I Would like more grip on the rear, without loosing steering...
Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #395
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Hey Martin, did you ever try to change the front/rear weight bias with corner scales ??? If so, would you recommend the scales to others ???
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #396
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Hey Martin, did you ever try to change the front/rear weight bias with corner scales ??? If so, would you recommend the scales to others ???
Didn't you just post this to another thread?

Quote:
When I corner weigh my car, I try to get the weight difference down under 10grams between left and right side, either front or rear. This keeps the cross weight somewhat equal...
Example: lf(275g) ; rf(281g) ; lr(280g) ; rr(285g)...
Also, I remove the vehicle from the scales, press on the suspension and replace the vehicle on the scales many times until I get a consistant balanced reading within 10grams... I would say that your lf/rr crossweight is alot more than your rf/lr: 587g vs 525g.....
Also, if I can't get them under 10grams on both front and rear, I always try to get the rear close, and sacrifice the front. That really happens only when I run a very light battery pack, and heavy electronics...
Old 05-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #397
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronf1 View Post
You and everybody else!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #398
Tech Champion

Yes I did.... I need to know if a pro like Martin uses scales too, and how....I have to make sure I am not missing anything..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
Didn't you just post this to another thread?
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #399
Tech Fanatic

Time to catchup with the questions ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Hey Martin,
If I may ask you another question.
I'm experiencing some wheel spin when accelerating out of the corner. I feel I have no "rip" out of the corner. I’ve also driven different cars at the same day (swapped transmitters) and they all had more rip out of the corner. All the cars, drive E.T.S. Spec 13,5T.
Can you give me some set-up advice to get more rear traction while accelerating, other than adding more rear toe. I’d like to keep the 2.5 degree and don’t want to go to the 3 degree arms, the other cars where running 2 degree’s rear toe.

Thanks in advance,
Regards Robert
standing up the rear shocks can sometimes help, if the rear is getting loose on power.

adding more front up travel can also help, as this allows more weight transfer to the rear wheels while accelerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgePravata View Post
Hey Martin what would be the right way to set up a sway bar on an off road shot course. What should I look for I do make sure both sway bar links are the same but when installed I always have one side better then the other. So if i was a to take the right side with no shocks on and move the arm up the left arm moves the same. but when I do the left side I don't get the same.
Thanks.
Balancing the swaybars so the move the arm equally on both sides is very important. You will need to be able to adjust the length of the link that connects the swaybar to the a-arm. If you lift up an arm and the other arm is not lifting, then lengthen that link on the arm you are lifting and/or shorten the link on the other arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Simplest is thicker rear diff oil, which you should be able to do if you've reduced rear toe already.
Actually a thicker rear diff oil will cause the car to get loose while exciting a corner on power. A thinner diff oil will reduce that loose on power exit.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #400
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Bobby View Post
Hi Martin,

I race on outdoor asphalt and find the setup changes quite a lot during the day (mainly but not limited to track temperature i guess). I find the car has more steering midday and this might even evolve into oversteer. Would you recommend a stiffer front swaybar as a preemptive setup change or something similar? possibly raising the front roll center?
For sure an outdoor asphalt track changes during the day based on air temp, the amount of sun etc. Mid day when the sun is out is when you get the least amount of grip. Raising the roll center slightly can help, but the car will not transition as smoothly, so you will need to find the balance that works for your driving. I would actually soften the swaybars or remove them, as a thicker swaybar will actually remove grip. If you are getting more steering then I would raise the rear roll center and soften the rear swaybar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by to slow for you View Post
hey martin how to free up car with spool low grip asphalt
I have found that a spool is tight on entry and loose on power exit. So I will assume you are talking about loosening up the car on corner entry off power.

You can do a number of things to loosen a car up on corner entry off power.

1) increase rear up travel / droop
2) reduce rear toe-in
3) soften front springs & oil
4) add more front camber or reduce rear camber

If you are looking for more mid corner rotation then here are some things to try in addition to the list above

1) laydown rear shocks
2) lower rear roll center
3) raise fron roll center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronf1 View Post
someone just sent me the same question via email Maybe that was you?

Here is the response I sent...

The age old question…how to keep the steering but make it stable

You can try making changes to add more rear grip, but this will likely end up with a balance that has too much push in it if you go too far.

Things you can do to add more rear grip are numerous and depend on your current setup.

some of the more common things to try are…

more rear toe in
more rear camber
higher rear roll center
stand up the rear shocks a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
You and everybody else!
lmao!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #401
Tech Adept

Hello Martin, I would like to know if you practice on un prepped tracks at all before race day, and how much you adjust for the same track on race day when it is prepped ? I'm going to start practicing here at my local track and if I happen to go out on unscheduled practice days and the tracks not prepped and make adjustments for those track conditions , on race day my car will most likely have to much grip, Im assuming. Thanks !
Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #402
reg
Tech Adept

Hi Martin,
Great reading all the info,I'm just getting to grips with TC,it's going well,apart from the tire prep,it's clearly a black art that people arnt really willing to share,
Would it be possible to give a top racers guide to proper tire prep during a race event,we all have to use the same tires and only 2 sets,also,what do you do to car setup to try and get the grip from them on the second possibly third run,
Kind regards,
Mark
reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #403
Tech Initiate

Hi Martin,
Would you please explain how is it a benefit on Active Rear Toe to a TC? and is it active toe in or active toe out? Thanks!!
X men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #404
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by X men View Post
Hi Martin,
Would you please explain how is it a benefit on Active Rear Toe to a TC? and is it active toe in or active toe out? Thanks!!
The other "Martin" already explained it here http://www.redrc.net/2014/05/xray-ac...ension-teaser/

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 AM   #405
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Actually a thicker rear diff oil will cause the car to get loose while exciting a corner on power. A thinner diff oil will reduce that loose on power exit.
That's interesting.
I have used up to 10,000 in the rear diff (when using a front diff with 2.5m) and never have problems out of the corner with the rear being loose.

With a spool I run up to 5k but always decide on the oil based on how much turn in I need and what exit traction I can get away with.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote