Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TA01/02 CHASSIS HELP. SOMEONE SCHOOL ME PLEASE! >

TA01/02 CHASSIS HELP. SOMEONE SCHOOL ME PLEASE!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TA01/02 CHASSIS HELP. SOMEONE SCHOOL ME PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default TA01/02 CHASSIS HELP. SOMEONE SCHOOL ME PLEASE!

Alright guys im a shortcourse truck guy but want a onroader to play with. i have had a freshly built tamiya f150 prerunner sitting in my room for about 4 years. I want to convert this truck to a car? ive noticed that the cars on the same chassis have blue knuckles instead of the red that i have? what would i need to change to make it a road car, besides body, wheels and tires of course. will shocks need to be changed? i have tons of questions about this set up, whats a ta01/02 mix?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That TA01/TA02 chassis is close to 10 years old already and you will have a hard time finding parts. You would be better off buying a new or used TT01 as something to play around with. If you really want to run your TA01/2 you could use it as is but need shorter shocks (Tamiya pn 50519), a car body, and new rims and tires. That should put you at about $100-$150. Hoping you won't break any parts, you would be fine running around with that. If something were to break, you will have to search ebay or online sellers for old stock parts. For the cost of those parts, you are at the cost of a new TT01 kit and have good parts availability if things were to break. If it were me, shelf or sell the TA01/2 and get something new.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by x3inchesx
That TA01/TA02 chassis is close to 10 years old already and you will have a hard time finding parts. .
Close? More like well over 10years old. I had a TA-02 when they first came out in '94 and that was an improvement over the TA-01 which was originally released in '92. So its almost 20years.

As for parts, the aftermarket is flooded with parts for the TA-02 and there's still plenty out there if you search around. Really the only thing you want is a ball diff and some good Tamiya alum. shocks. These cars were pretty tuff so they won't break on you unless you're a terrible driver. Hubs are the same as the Manta Ray 4wd buggy.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Stumbled across this, so had to register and reply. I have a ta02 which I used to use almost every day. It was pretty broken, and I've now gone and rebuilt it into an m chassis size car (pretty much 1/12) yeah it cost a bit, but I purposefully bought hopup parts for the m03, so if it didn't work, I could put the parts straight onto an m03 or something. I am still in the process of finishing it now I can post pics if you want.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

ta01/02 mix are kits released by tamiya that used parts from both kits, like the hummer, f150, toyota prerunner,etc, these cars used the ta01/02 gear box which are the same for both kits, the chassis (main tub) was from a ta01 so was bigger, and as such used longer prop shaft, the suspension arms were from a ta02, since it used a smaller tub the arms were extended more backwards to achive the 257mm wheelbase, but on the 01/02 mix the wheelbase was almost 262-265mm, so if you want to make a proper touring car, cheapest way is just get some ta01 suspension arm, and some smaller shocks and really thats it, the ta01/02 were very reliable, and I still have one its nearly 16 years old and still fun
Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zaraz
ta01/02 mix are kits released by tamiya that used parts from both kits, like the hummer, f150, toyota prerunner,etc, these cars used the ta01/02 gear box which are the same for both kits, the chassis (main tub) was from a ta01 so was bigger, and as such used longer prop shaft, the suspension arms were from a ta02, since it used a smaller tub the arms were extended more backwards to achive the 257mm wheelbase, but on the 01/02 mix the wheelbase was almost 262-265mm, so if you want to make a proper touring car, cheapest way is just get some ta01 suspension arm, and some smaller shocks and really thats it, the ta01/02 were very reliable, and I still have one its nearly 16 years old and still fun
Actually it's the other way round. The F150/Prerunner has a short wheelbase by using TA01 wishbones and uprights, with the shorter TA02 chassis and propshaft.

The simplest way to convert it to a touring car wheelbase is to replace the chassis and propshaft with TA01 parts, which is easy as they are still in production as Manta Ray parts. Chassis is part number 0335100 and propshaft is part number 3485039. You then flip the rear wishbones round to bring the wheelbase down to 257mm.

Be aware though that TA01 suspension parts are very hard to get hold of, if you were planning on running it hard then keeping the chassis and changing to TA02 wishbones, uprights, steering knuckles and front driveshafts and stub axles would be easier to keep running, but for the price of all the parts it would be cheaper to pick up a second hand complete chassis.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by x3inchesx
That TA01/TA02 chassis is close to 10 years old already and you will have a hard time finding parts. You would be better off buying a new or used TT01 as something to play around with. If you really want to run your TA01/2 you could use it as is but need shorter shocks (Tamiya pn 50519), a car body, and new rims and tires. That should put you at about $100-$150. Hoping you won't break any parts, you would be fine running around with that. If something were to break, you will have to search ebay or online sellers for old stock parts. For the cost of those parts, you are at the cost of a new TT01 kit and have good parts availability if things were to break. If it were me, shelf or sell the TA01/2 and get something new.
Yeah I figured that the conversion would cost me around 150-200 when its all said and done with. I think I'm with you on getting something a little more modern.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pretenda
Stumbled across this, so had to register and reply. I have a ta02 which I used to use almost every day. It was pretty broken, and I've now gone and rebuilt it into an m chassis size car (pretty much 1/12) yeah it cost a bit, but I purposefully bought hopup parts for the m03, so if it didn't work, I could put the parts straight onto an m03 or something. I am still in the process of finishing it now I can post pics if you want.
That sounds pretty bad ass and welcome to the forums!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hi everyone =)

time to bring this thread back from the grave...as my first post...anyhow i am seeking help from members here on identifying a chassis which i think could be a ta01 or ta02 mounted to an nsx body....really digging the look of this car and wanted too see if i could replicate it ...the item in question is listed currently on ebay item number 190905461421

sorry would post up the link for all too see but im new to the boards here and the site wont allow me to directly link the url in this post

can anyone tell me if there has been any mods done to the chassis to make the body fit the vintage nsx body? doesnt look like a group c chassis for sure...

just wanted to know if the group c chassis and a ta01/02 chassis has approximate wheelbase? will i be able to fit the vintage nsx body on a ta01/02 chassis without any mods besides drilling additional holes for the body? also, will the width difference of the chassis pose a problem?

also does the original nsx kit from tamiya have a staggered wheelbase? can the ta01/02 be able to have a staggered setup...? would hate to put this kit together only to have the rear wheels tuck way inside.....

any help would be greatly appreciated