R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #91
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@T View Post
The situation is easy to proof. Just move one of the dog bones to the inside and have a look at the outside location.

You´ll find that the drive pin is very close to the edged section at the end of the drive cup.

It only takes some torque applied to snap it out.

Centering it with two pieces of rubber/hard foam does work and is a cheap solution.

A CVD axle will do the same if you like to use hop up´s, but it´s not really needed.
I tested like you said and it does sit right on the end of the yoke on either side when pushed to the extreme. I can see how this could torque out under certain conditions. I'm going to do as you recommend.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #92
C@T
Tech Adept

The kit delivered in Europe does contain a non belted soft tyre.

They do nearly double their diameter at high revs.

If those shipped in the US are the same you should be extremly carefull.

Better advise would be ......
C@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@T View Post
The kit delivered in Europe does contain a non belted soft tyre.

They do nearly double their diameter at high revs.

If those shipped in the US are the same you should be extremly carefull.

Better advise would be ......
I taped mine, so I should be good!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #94
Tech Adept

when you say taped, what exactly do you mean? I've seen that term elsewhere in this thread and am not familiar with it.
blankenj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #95
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankenj99 View Post
when you say taped, what exactly do you mean? I've seen that term elsewhere in this thread and am not familiar with it.
Taped, is taping the inside of the tires with duct tape or other types of material which acts like belting the tire, which prevents ballooning of the tires at high speed. It's very effective and has worked for me on tires operation at +65mph.

I start by turning the tires inside out, cleaning the insides of the tires with alcohol, letting them dry then sliding them on a mandrel, in this case a water bottle. This helps retain the tire shape with out too much deformation when wrapping on the tape.

I usually put on enough tape to wrap 2 x around the circumference

Then glue down the tires

Next balance the tires

I use a Dubro Propeller balancer. I find it works the best as it has the least imparted frictional forces, and is easy to use, add weights. I use self stick lead tape for weight. After a while you get a good feel for how much weight to add.

Place the tire on the balancer, and let it settle to the heavy point, which will be the bottom (6 o-clock). Mark this with a Sharpie and then add weight to the opposite (180 degree) of the heavy side. Add or subtract weight until the mark and weight balances out to 9 & 3 o-clock position. That's it.

You can further refine and exact placement of the tape until the marks will settle at any o-clock position, but that's over kill as the weight will change as soon as you run it, or as the tires wear down. it's 3 & 9 is good enough as you are removing the major imbalance. I actually did get 2 tires that settled at any position.

Heavy point marked

Lead tape in place, sharpie mark is at about 9 oclock

Rolls smoothly and balanced

I always tape and balance all my tires if unbelted, and will always balance them at a minimum.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #96
Tech Adept

thanks for the detailed info. That's what I thought you meant but when I tried it on the kits X3 tires I had a devil of a time getting the tire over the foam and onto the rim. Maybe putting them over your 'mandrel' adds enough stretch to allow them on.
blankenj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #97
Tech Addict

Quote:
thanks for the detailed info. That's what I thought you meant but when I tried it on the kits X3 tires I had a devil of a time getting the tire over the foam and onto the rim. Maybe putting them over your 'mandrel' adds enough stretch to allow them on.
Yeah, it is tighter to get on due to the lower stretch available, a testament to the benefits of taping.

I actually used a bicycle tire lever to get mine on, it worked well.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #98
Tech Master

Quote:
I mounted up a set of Ofna belted GT tires on Ofna BBS style wheels. To make it easier, I cut off the outside bead/ribs of the wheels, and dremel sanded them smooth. Then it's easier to put the insert in the tire (I used AKA red 1/8th closed cell inserts), and slide them onto the wheels. Get the edges lined up and glue in place. Seemed like a much easier way to get it done than to fight the belted tires over the ribs.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #99
Tech Adept

Default HongNor X3 GT EP Sedan Kit‏

What's up with this Chinese Rebadged Ofna car after release few month ago in no delivery to be found, just keep saying back order. I complained to Ofna and no response.
Inferno GT2 VE Sweep PL1 Hobbywing XERUN w/2200KV - 4S. VE Audi R8 LMS Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/2650KV - 4S. AE TC6.1 SP Audi TC Tekin RS Gen2 w/8.5. TT-01E Audi R8 Hobby Wing 21.5T. TT-02 NSX-GT Hobby Wing 13.5T. DF-01 Porsche Cayenne 23T B.
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " 214 State st Suite 209 Hackensack, NJ 07601:201-820-1347
Racing: FRIDAY Mini Z Indoor/SATURDAY 1/8 & 1/10 VE Outdoor.
machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #100
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgo5go View Post
What's up with this Chinese Rebadged Ofna car after release few month ago in no delivery to be found, just keep saying back order. I complained to Ofna and no response.
I was sort of in the same situation, waiting for the Ofna DM-1 spec to come in stock, anywhere, I just wanted a 1/8 on road electric. While waiting for it, the X3 GTe came out, so I got one of those instead..

Not sure why you're so antsy for one to the point of complaining to the manufacturer, when you already have a Cobra E
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #101
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
I was sort of in the same situation, waiting for the Ofna DM-1 spec to come in stock, anywhere, I just wanted a 1/8 on road electric. While waiting for it, the X3 GTe came out, so I got one of those instead..

Not sure why you're so antsy for one to the point of complaining to the manufacturer, when you already have a Cobra E
The Cobra E is not my favorite after spending $$ which my Inferno GT2VE still out runs it in our weekly parking lot track at my local hobby shop Now the talk of the town is how great this Ofna is so it is my 3rd car quest to compare!
Inferno GT2 VE Sweep PL1 Hobbywing XERUN w/2200KV - 4S. VE Audi R8 LMS Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/2650KV - 4S. AE TC6.1 SP Audi TC Tekin RS Gen2 w/8.5. TT-01E Audi R8 Hobby Wing 21.5T. TT-02 NSX-GT Hobby Wing 13.5T. DF-01 Porsche Cayenne 23T B.
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " 214 State st Suite 209 Hackensack, NJ 07601:201-820-1347
Racing: FRIDAY Mini Z Indoor/SATURDAY 1/8 & 1/10 VE Outdoor.
machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #102
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is that fault of the car, your setup, or it's application?
RepEvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #103
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Tower just got a shipment of GTP2Es in if that helps. When they run out of any OFNA kit, it takes forever to make the next order. I'm guessing they run batches to keep overhead costs down. Make 1000 units(some number that's cost effective), sell until gone, rinse, repeat. This X3 car sure looks nice!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #104
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgo5go View Post
The Cobra E is not my favorite after spending $$ which my Inferno GT2VE still out runs it in our weekly parking lot track at my local hobby shop Now the talk of the town is how great this Ofna is so it is my 3rd car quest to compare!
Gotcha! Well I don't have a Serpent to compare it to, but so far I'm really liking this X3GTe. It's leaps and bounds above my Rally/GT8 in the handling department. The Tekin 2650/RX8 combo is fast and responsive!

Took the 3 road cars out for a spin today. The temp was low, and the surface was rough. I couldn't run on my usual place as it was full of cars from a concert last night.

I could not really open up the cars, but the X3GT is an amazing car! I love the way it handles and feels so secure without fear of traction rolling like my Rally/GT8. My XO-1 feels the same way, however I did not run it today, as that would have been asking for trouble on this rough surface. The X3GT, build speed very fast, and carries it into corners very well. Now I only wished I had a road course to run it on.... I took some video, however it will be a bit before it is processed.

Here are a few pictures

Last edited by ViperZ; 07-19-2014 at 11:07 AM.
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #105
Tech Addict

Video from today

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.