RC car action

Old 07-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This has absolutely nothing to do with rc car magazines, but a lot of people who post here use the word "mute" instead of "moot". As in, "That's a mute point".

This drives me insane.

Mute is unable to speak; moot is basically when something loses it's significance, or has no importance to the current situation.

Thanks for being there.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikos2002
futureal,

I found some examples for you. . . .

According to spell check, in MAUSTIN's first post he uses the word "mags" twice, which is grammatically incorrect.

Then his last sentence is a fragment.
I think he is calling on el senor MAUSTIN to give examples from the magazines
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I know, I agree with many people on here, these magazines work hard to provide information to everyone, I know, I've written articles for RCCA. It's a fine line to make sure the new guy and the serious racers is interested in what you write. They all do a great job. If you don't like, don't buy it. Don't go around telling people what they do is wrong. They are here to provide us information and try and make money for their company, so they can keep providing us with information.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just wanted to add that i for one actually like all the adverts in rcca (i subscribe to the other mags as well). there are many products and/or companies that i would not otherwise know about were it not for all the adverts.

as far as chassis/tuning information, get carol shelbys book. it covers just about everything of everything in regards to tuning. otherwise, look on the internet. many of the best drivers in the world have respond to various forums and will cover just about any tuning related question you have.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I'm glad to hear many of you like what we're doing. The bottom line is it’s your magazine. Want to see a certain vehicle reviewed, a shootout, a type of guide or a certain how-to article? Let us know.

As for my official response to the statement that we're full of typos and errors: I believe "full" is a complete and total exaggeration.

Are we error free? No. In fact, no magazine, RC-related or otherwise, is completely free of errors. There are too many hands in the mix to make that possible. Air Age Media has a professional staff of copyeditors that do an excellent job, but it is impossible to catch every single thing when you turn out as many total pages as we do. We do our best and, in my opinion, the few errors that make it through do not impair the magazine's readability.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:06 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I read TIME magazine on a weekly basis and find errors in there from time to time. It's very hard to catch everything, although we, as editors, do our absolute best.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

There's no need to defend anybody here. Some guy who screws his "perfect grammar" in 2 posts can't call the kettle black.

Obviously, somebody that's first post to flame magazines is some sort of industry person, that is mad at something. That's just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DerekB
Obviously, somebody that [...] post to flame [...] is some sort of industry person, that is mad at something
Gee, I wonder who that reminds me of....LOL
Old 07-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Gee, I wonder who that reminds me of....LOL
Is that referring to you? Because I don't come here and flame people
Old 07-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As an attorney, I write far more than any author, reporter, or columnist. After writing and reading thousand of documents on a yearly basis I can assure you, grammatical and spelling errors do happen, and much more frequently than expected. I have found errors even in published court opinions, including U.S. Supreme Court opinions. No one is immune.

There are two distinct problems causing this. First, our reliance on computer spell checkers has gotten out of control. These "dumb" programs (meaning that they can't think for themselves) only point out words that are misspelled. They don't know whether it should be "too" or "two" or "to". That leads us to the second problem: the English language is the most complex and diverse language on the planet Earth. This is in part due to its ability to adapt to changing times and incorporate new vocabulary, including those from other languages.

As for the content issues of the magazines, I look at it this way: some months there are articles that appeal to me, some months there are none. I guess if I want a magazine that appeals to my interests every month, then I should write one myself. Though, I doubt anyone else would want to read that magazine. The point is that a magazine has a duty to its subscribers to provide information that appeals to all of them. This just isn't possible to do in every issue given the vast differences of wants and needs in the subscriber community. My advice is this: if a particular issue isn't your cup of tea, then wait an issue.

I guess I have only one gripe and that's against RCCA. I have been trying for over a year to get a subscription, to no avail. I joined Tower's Buyers Club and got a free trial, sent in the card, and never got a response or magazines. A few months later, RCCA was having a contest, so I sent in another subscription card, with no response. Just recently, RCCA was given away some sort of tuning guide with a subscription, so I sent in another card. I finally received a response this time, have sent my money in, the check has been cashed, and I should start receiving the magazine soon. Don't know why this was so difficult since XRC and RCD never had a problem taking my money. Oh well.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RandomFellow
As an attorney, I write far more than any author, reporter, or columnist. After writing and reading thousand of documents on a yearly basis I can assure you, grammatical and spelling errors do happen, and much more frequently than expected. I have found errors even in published court opinions, including U.S. Supreme Court opinions. No one is immune.

There are two distinct problems causing this. First, our reliance on computer spell checkers has gotten out of control. These "dumb" programs (meaning that they can't think for themselves) only point out words that are misspelled. They don't know whether it should be "too" or "two" or "to". That leads us to the second problem: the English language is the most complex and diverse language on the planet Earth. This is in part due to its ability to adapt to changing times and incorporate new vocabulary, including those from other languages.

As for the content issues of the magazines, I look at it this way: some months there are articles that appeal to me, some months there are none. I guess if I want a magazine that appeals to my interests every month, then I should write one myself. Though, I doubt anyone else would want to read that magazine. The point is that a magazine has a duty to its subscribers to provide information that appeals to all of them. This just isn't possible to do in every issue given the vast differences of wants and needs in the subscriber community. My advice is this: if a particular issue isn't your cup of tea, then wait an issue.

I guess I have only one gripe and that's against RCCA. I have been trying for over a year to get a subscription, to no avail. I joined Tower's Buyers Club and got a free trial, sent in the card, and never got a response or magazines. A few months later, RCCA was having a contest, so I sent in another subscription card, with no response. Just recently, RCCA was given away some sort of tuning guide with a subscription, so I sent in another card. I finally received a response this time, have sent my money in, the check has been cashed, and I should start receiving the magazine soon. Don't know why this was so difficult since XRC and RCD never had a problem taking my money. Oh well.
Leave it to an attorney to make sense. Some people take things too serious. And spell check has ruined lots of things but it is a good catch for most of the stuff. What I like to do is have the computer read back what I wrote. Listening to the spoken word is a good way to catch mistakes.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I will agree with our lawyer friend. When I wrote my senior thesis in high school I spent almost 12 hours on it and there still were a few small problems in it when all was said and done. Of course these guys are putting out thousands of issues every month so catching EVERY SINGLE LITTLE thing is a virtual impossibility.

I know that all the ads, as annoying as they are, are a necessary part of putting out a quality magazine. I applaud all the magazines for their willingness to sacrifice all teh time and money that they do to make publications like XRC, RCCA and RCD possible. i have subscribed to all three of them and look forward to each new issue
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Another person who thinks they crap perfection. I'm sure at some point you forgot to get the fries as the timer went off...

Don't pay $5, I'll boycott the .99 cent menu too.
Good one. I needed a good laugh this morning. Reading over this whole thread I have no comment. Personal opinions have gotten way out of hand on message boards period. No one can ever express their opinion without getting bashed and if you have a bad experience with a company people have made it a point to start the flame wars (I've even been guilty of this) We should all just take a step back and take a little constructive criticism and move on. I'm not doing a spell check so if I messed up a word or someone see's a fragment.......I'LL TAKE THE "F"....LOL
Old 07-30-2005, 01:10 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Part of the problem is that everybody wants to be on the winning side on forums and that usually means tearing somebody else down. It's sad that if a new hobbyist joins a site like this nowadays, and posts a qestion to which 90% of us know the answer, the first five responses are likely to be sarcastic and demeaning rather than helpful. "What, you don't know how to solder a Dean's plug? Wow, you must be some kind of retard. Go back to nickelodeon.com!" Everybody gets on the internet and grows five inches taller. It's sad...
Old 07-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yall are to funny.Im sitting here thinking back to the late 80's and early 90's when we didnt have this wealth of info that we get from the magizines today.Yes I do see repeats in different parts of magizines from time to and thats ok.How many times have we asked the same question on the same topic being related to rc or not I know I have.So in my opinon its fine.With the vast amount of time and effort put into the magizines these days its great I may not get somethings from one magizine that I get from others from month to month but to me its great to see infomation being sent out when I can remember a time it was hard to get any infomation concerning this hobby.I appauled(Spelling who cares I know what I said) all the magizine for giving us the chance every month to maybe learn or read about what happened at different events,and as far as advertising who's going to pay the overhead if they didnt have it?Sometimes you have to sit back and think what you have in front of you and use it to your best cause what if you didn't have it at all? Can you truly say that if you didn't have this wealth of information that we have now a days that you can truly advance in this hobby as fast? Just my 2 cents. If you want to give me change for my 2 cents thats ok by me.