R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Help for an article, please (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/791292-help-article-please.html)

tinasam 02-06-2014 08:54 AM

Help for an article, please

Hey Everyone, I'm the guide at About.com's Radio Controlled Vehicles site and I'd love it if you would be part of an article for me. This is what I need:
Your first name, your top sponsor if you have one, the rc tool that you feel you couldn't live without, and why that tool is the priority go-to item in your RC toolchest.

This is specifically for on-road tools please, thanks.

rc car guy 02-06-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by tinasam (Post 12982276)
Hey Everyone, I'm the guide at About.com's Radio Controlled Vehicles site and I'd love it if you would be part of an article for me. This is what I need:
Your first name, your top sponsor if you have one, the rc tool that you feel you couldn't live without, and why that tool is the priority go-to item in your RC toolchest.

This is specifically for on-road tools please, thanks.

Well you should specify your question such as a set up tool or like the most common tool used when we work on our cars?

tinasam 02-06-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by rc car guy (Post 12982761)
Well you should specify your question such as a set up tool or like the most common tool used when we work on our cars?

I am incorporating all tools, both set up and others, so that the article is well-rounded.

S.Stew 02-06-2014 01:39 PM

Setup board. A lot of onroad setup needs to be done on a flat reference plane.

oeoeo327 02-06-2014 01:56 PM

Tire truer - Pan cars (or any RC vehicle using foam tires, for that matter) run at their best when the tires are trued down to an appropriate diameter, and are equal in size from left to right. Best results are achieved when the tires are re-trued after each run. If you run foam tires, a truer is a MUST HAVE item.

rc car guy 02-06-2014 02:55 PM

Hm well flat board is probably the best but my ride height gauge one on a slope that has each .1mm on it or a pair of german made nip ex their like a small pipe wrench

mschumi101 02-06-2014 03:07 PM

Not necessarily onroad specific, but my favorite and the best tool I ever bought was my third hand soldering jig. It is by far the best thing since sliced bread. It allows you to solder perfectly without needing another person to help. If you don't have one, you are really missing out. Makes the work so much easier.

Quantra 02-06-2014 03:23 PM

Vince
Awesomatix
Jet racing ride height gauge.

Specifically this one because it has 0.5mm steps on one side for quick and easy measurements. The other side is smooth with 0.1mm markings that go all the way across the gauge so it can be used at any angle. I use it for ride height, droop, balancing anti roll bars and checking my shell is at the right height too.

DesertRat 02-06-2014 03:35 PM

A set of calipers and a micrometer.

Precise measurement is necessary to get the most out of any RC car but becomes more important in onroad racing. When the car is so well set that you can feel a 5 thousandths inconsistency or tweak in the wheel while driving, eyeballing or measuring with a ruler or tape just doesn't cut it. The micrometer tells you many other important things, like if you flat-spotted your diff balls or if the thicness of a shim or diff ring is consistent all around. I'm a stickler for the precision they give me.

tinasam 02-06-2014 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone! :)

davidwills 02-07-2014 12:58 AM

screwdriver

scootr117 02-07-2014 05:47 AM

Turnbuckle wrench. Most of the other tools I pulled from my automotive tool box when I frist got into RC. The turnbuckle wrench saved me boat loads of time and effort over using needle nose pliers to build and make adjustments.

Eric Wells