Help from the experts >

Help from the experts

Help from the experts

Old 07-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default Help from the experts

Hi guys great forum you have here !

I need some help from you experts on electric 1/10

At the moment i drive nitro 1/8 onroad using an Mugen MRX4 and 1/10 on road using the HPI R40, i consider my self an expert when it comes to nitro engines etc.. but on electric i don't know a thing, i am really interested in starting driving at our club the 1/10 electric and would like som answers from you guys.

Which 1/10 kit to buy ?
( i really like the new XRAY, the new Yokomo and the Pro 4 Hara edition )

Which ESP ?
( i heard good things about the Novak GTX and the Yokomo SX12W )

Heatsink for Motor ?

Comm Lathe ?

thanks for looking and helping
Old 07-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you cant go wrong with the new xray fk05.it is an excelent car.i personally like the keyence rapida ESC.i use an integy auto comm lathe.it is a great price and gives you excelent cuts.it comes with carbide v blocks which are ideal for these lathes.i believe you can get em new for about 135 bucks.it may be a little more or less.i just dont remember because i bought it a while ago.you may want to pick up a cooling fan for your motor like the one trinity has.it works great.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

speed, are you jumping both feet first, or just testing the electric on-road waters? protc3 named top of the line stuff. If your just getting into it to see if you like it. Go with the best car you can buy first, then get a mid-level lathe like the Team Cobra. Find a used esc from a respectable person. GTX, QC2, Rapida, VFS-1. Reedy makes a clip on heatsink with fan. It's a great setup that's easy to install.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

good point dude.it would be a good idea to see if you like it first.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Tech Addict

Well being a person that unfurunatly likes everything that uses a remote i thought of going for the best equipment, even my girlfriend sometimes tells me that she wishes she was a remote control car .

Do ESP have some sort of a life time ?

Thanks for all your help
Old 07-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

no esc has any given set lifetime. You will see people have esc's for 10 years to 10 mins. It all depends how careful you are with your stuff...

ESC- Electronic Speed Control
ESP- Extra Sensory Perception
Old 07-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ALBERTO
no esc has any given set lifetime. You will see people have esc's for 10 years to 10 mins. It all depends how careful you are with your stuff...

ESC- Electronic Speed Control
ESP- Extra Sensory Perception

Good one...

Anyway,back to topic...I would choose the Xray over the rest,good car.Thought I'm a Pro tamiya driver. A GTX is a good ESC,and you can't go wrong with Novak for their customer service...
Old 07-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like my JRXS but have also considered the RDX by Corally and the Xray. I personally like the GTX very much as well. I have not had any issues with Novak since I started racing. Cobra comm is middle grade?!!! I personally like my Pro Comm lathe and think it is a very good lathe. Just save yourself the time and get the diamond bit right away. It does help that I live in the town where they are built if I do have any issues with them, but have not so far!!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

JRX-S all the way. Awesome car, great handling right out of the box and very durable. No hopups or anything else needed.

The RDX is definitely a nice car too, I drove my friend's RDX and I have to say it's pretty sweet.

For the ESC, go with the GTX, LOTS of people are using it, you rarely find someone complaining about it...I absolutely love mine.

Oh, BTW I think it would be a good idea to make sure you get a car that the best drivers at your track are using. It will be sooo much easier to ask them questions and ask them to help you out with your setup than having to do all this stuff on your own (in the beginning).

And I also have a Team Cobra lathe and like it a lot...it might not be the best out there but it does the job and it's pretty cheap.

Last thing, don't get cheap stuff thinking you'll get better things later, because you'll end up buying the better things and ending up with the junk that you bought first.

I understand you might not be 100% sure that you're gonna stay with this hobby, but it will be much easier trying to sell good stuff than to try to sell junk.

Just my 2c.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OK as for a car....ANy of the new cars that are out are very competative...So really it is up to parts support and local help, as it is best to ask the guys who are fast at the track you are running on........The thread shere have endless knowlegde although you have to weed out some garbage....

Now for ESC I believe there is none better than the KO Propo VFS1 Pro Compitition. It has every settign amaginable. You can porgram it with a hand held or if you are a visual guy you can hook it up to your PC...Thsi gave me a great excuse to get a laptop though..LOL

Don't buy a ton of stuff at first...Buy just the spares that the break the most...
Buy a couple real nice matched packs...1.17's are fine until you are really fast then go with the 1.19's Believe it or not you will not be able to tell right away from the difference....
Chargers....well the best low cost charger right now is the Duratrax ICE...it is very nice.....
For me I liek the best so I have two Cell Masters from Much More.
The Orion Advantage is also another great choice.

Tires.....find out what everyone runs at your track and what inserts to use and what rims to use...This will really help.

Bodies...you shoudl already know since you run Nitro but the Mazda 6 and Startus 3.0AP are two really good bodies out right now..Very stable.

Motors well there are too many to talk about but if you are runnign stock or 19T I say go to EA Motorsports and for MOD I don't run Mod so someone else can chime in.
These are my opinions so please no flames.....
Also the Yokomo BD is very easy to work on...Heck check out the new RC Car Action...they did a very nice job on there reveiws of the four top belt cars out right now...Sorry Losi guys they forgot about you....
-Shookie <><
Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=speed6]Hi guys great forum you have here !

I need some help from you experts on electric 1/10
I'm no expert but would like to comment.
Originally Posted by speed6
Which 1/10 kit to buy ?
( i really like the new XRAY, the new Yokomo and the Pro 4 Hara edition )
Yokomo BD will be a good car of choice!! It is a wonder to drive in both Mod and in Spec Class!!

All the cars you mentioned ar top notch--- Local parts support should also be considered in choosing your kit and also ask, look for what is being driven in your tracks.

Originally Posted by speed6
Which ESP ?
( i heard good things about the Novak GTX and the Yokomo SX12W )

Heatsink for Motor ?

Comm Lathe ?

thanks for looking and helping
You will not go wrong with the GTX!! Keyence Rapida is really good, but a little more expensive. Comm Lathe!!! Fantom is the best! But any com lathe will do as long as you use a diamond bit.

Welcome to the Elctronic RC Community!!! Peace and whatever you choose, Be happy with it!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

What about this ESC has anyone of you guys tried it ?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=9037

Thanks once again for all your support.