Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to tune in your car correctly

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by grippgoat
It sounds like the problem you're facing isn't knowing what change does what, but rather just kbowing what you want from the car to go faster. And that just takes a lot of practice.

One that really helps is video. If you can get video of the fast guys, and video of yourself, you should be able to see where you are losing time against them. Then you go out and try to emulate their lines and speeds more closely. When you fail to do so, think about why. Does the car lack grip? Is turn in too sluggish? Are you lacking forward bite? Is it pushing wide on exit? Once you figure that out, that's where you can actually start trying to use the setup guides to make changes.

-Mike
well at least you understand where im coming from, as for the lines, I generally find the fastest line rather quickly that is something i am good at, the other guys at the track arent much faster if faster at all than me so i cant really compare their cars to my cars what wins the races here is just being consistent i couldnt get my car to work on the last lay out so i tried different tires and in the main i ended running 8.0's (.3-.4) off of the pace and still turning a 45 lap run (best tq we had was a 46 6:.03) i recognize that our cars can go faster i just dont know how to do so
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Please, please learn to use punctuation.

its kinda hard when you type like this you never use punctuation its hard to understand what youre saying because you don't end your sentences sometimes its good to use basic grammar especially when you type out several sentences
Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc car guy
Most cars now a days come with a stock set up, that is a good starting point. My question is how do you know which portion of the car to tune next, if you need a give thing such as more/less front or rear traction would be a pretty basic starting point, what about camber links (shorter or longer) track width (wider or narrower) wheel base, toe etc roll centers I comprehend fairly decently but the other stuff is a mystery as to which thing needs to be tuned next to get the car better (this is for touring car, by the way)
Ok before you start with setup lets make sure the platform is correct and not tweaking from screws tighten to much anyone that has built many kits knows that to much force on tightening screws can lead to much flex to one side there's a point when it to tight and will affect the cars flex reason why alot of company invest alot of time in making sure screws are mirrored through out the kit as best as possible left to right and as central as can be.guys might think its a over kill but ive built alot of kits and you be surprised on this simple tool that will make the biggest different to your set up and the overall build. Not the one i use mine cost alot more
how to tune in your car correctly-fat.jpg
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P.I.M.P
Ok before you start with setup lets make sure the platform is correct and not tweaking from screws tighten to much anyone that has built many kits knows that to much force on tightening screws can lead to much flex to one side there's a point when it to tight and will affect the cars flex reason why alot of company invest alot of time in making sure screws are mirrored through out the kit as best as possible left to right and as central as can be.guys might think its a over kill but ive built alot of kits and you be surprised on this simple tool that will make the biggest different to your set up and the overall build. Not the one i use mine cost alot more
Attachment 1162400
+1 Yep

Critical to start with a perfectly true, flat, tweak free chassis! That was my main issue when I started out.

The best tool I have right now is the RC Setup Workbench app by Martin Crisp on my iPhone. It really has helped me out on more that a few occasions when you inevitably get a bit lost in the setup. The other thing to bear in mind is that each setting as a window and if you go too far either way it can have totally the opposite affect! I tend to stick with the stock/kit setup as the middle ground and work slightly either side of it. If I don't get the desired affect from a setup change I'll put it back to stock and try something else.

Nothing will replace experience here and it will take time for you to get comfortable with setup. I have been racing for years and I still don't know even half of it! Good luck....
Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This really helped me when I was getting started. I may not be on board with all their suggestions, but it's quite helpful for someone new.

Scroll down to the "Xray Gear Charts Table" and download it. On the second sheet of the PDF will be a setup guide.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...ria=0&catName=
Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc car guy
well at least you understand where im coming from, as for the lines, I generally find the fastest line rather quickly that is something i am good at, the other guys at the track arent much faster if faster at all than me so i cant really compare their cars to my cars what wins the races here is just being consistent i couldnt get my car to work on the last lay out so i tried different tires and in the main i ended running 8.0's (.3-.4) off of the pace and still turning a 45 lap run (best tq we had was a 46 6:.03) i recognize that our cars can go faster i just dont know how to do so
If consistency is the main issue, then look at what kind mistakes you're making, and try to fix that.

Car is generally sloppy and squirms around a lot? Try thicker shock oil, or less droop. Check for and remove excessive slop and binding.

Is the chassis rubbing on the carpet, causing inconsistency? Clean it every run, and maybe try stiffer springs, stiffer rollbars, or thicker shock oil.

Is the car imprecise on turn-in? Maybe try some anti-dive, or thicker front shock oil.

Is thr car understeering, making you miss apexes? Lay down front shock or stand up rear shock. Maybe try a little more drag brake.

Is the car too agressive? Try longer camber links or more shims on the inside camber links.

Is the car pushing wide on corner exits, and rotating too agressively? Try a thicker rear diff.

Does the car pull strangely when you get on power after the apex? Maybe you need more or less droop, or maybe it's pushing and you're using too much steering throw.

Etc, etc...

If you really have no idea what to change, just try one small random change and see what it does.

The key is to drive consistently, but push just a little bit and see what goes wrong when you do, and try to fix that, trying one change at a time.

-Mike
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by grippgoat
If consistency is the main issue, then look at what kind mistakes you're making, and try to fix that.

Car is generally sloppy and squirms around a lot? Try thicker shock oil, or less droop. Check for and remove excessive slop and binding.

Is the chassis rubbing on the carpet, causing inconsistency? Clean it every run, and maybe try stiffer springs, stiffer rollbars, or thicker shock oil.

Is the car imprecise on turn-in? Maybe try some anti-dive, or thicker front shock oil.

Is thr car understeering, making you miss apexes? Lay down front shock or stand up rear shock. Maybe try a little more drag brake.

Is the car too agressive? Try longer camber links or more shims on the inside camber links.

Is the car pushing wide on corner exits, and rotating too agressively? Try a thicker rear diff.

Does the car pull strangely when you get on power after the apex? Maybe you need more or less droop, or maybe it's pushing and you're using too much steering throw.

Etc, etc...

If you really have no idea what to change, just try one small random change and see what it does.

The key is to drive consistently, but push just a little bit and see what goes wrong when you do, and try to fix that, trying one change at a time.

-Mike
Thanks for the info mike very usefull. As for the car is built immaculately no binding no tweak and everything is in proper working order.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the same problem but once I realize what my car is doing or what I want to correct I use the Xray T2 quick reference table to guide me. It tells you what things to start with and what to do. It works great.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Default Do it by yourself

You'd better do it by yourself. You know, on a different road, different car, different running experience of the player, the same operate way can't satisfied everyone. Learn it from your reality running is better than others experience.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

The setup workbench by Martin Crisp explains different setup paramiters and has a quick refference chart.
http://carsetup.wpengine.com/
Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

The setup work bench is the app I was talking about earlier in this thread. click on the link privided by Khador12 above to see screen shots and descriptions of what this app can do for you.
I HIGHLY recommend this app.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Butler02
The setup work bench is the app I was talking about earlier in this thread. click on the link privided by Khador12 above to see screen shots and descriptions of what this app can do for you.
I HIGHLY recommend this app.
Ive read thru and purchased the app several montha ago and have been reading through it I consult it for tuning advice