Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is best choice for F1 chassis tamiya trf101 or yokomo yrf 001w

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hannhann00
Would you recommend a f104x1 over a trf102 (there's one also in my area brand new in kit form)? The other option is the trf101 which I guess I liked as I assumed it was the top dog however from reading more it sounds slightly outdated (even though cool with its cf arms)
The F104X1 is yet another variation of Tamiya's rear suspension designs. It's also the older of the TRF101 and TRF102. Doesn't mean it's bad, people are still racing them successfully. But each of the above three chassis mentioned has its specialty. I would say The X1 and the 102 are the most closely related since they both use flex plates. The TRF101 is more closely related to the F104 V2 since both use the link rear suspension.

It will depend quite a bit on what surface you'll be racing in. Also keep in mind, the above chassis all share the Tamiya plastic front suspension except for the 101 which has the carbon front arms. Either suspension only allows you to adjust amber (the plastic ones affect caster as a byproduct of the camber adjustment). The carbon 101 arms only allow camber adjustment so do not think it compares to the Yokomo or the Xray with their carbon arms. So I believe the Tamiya front suspension limits you in that end.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No CRC WTF1-16s around? Excellent car and tough to beat at any price. Ready right out of the box, no hop ups needed. Also the X-Ray but it costs more.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by viking44
The F104X1 is yet another variation of Tamiya's rear suspension designs. It's also the older of the TRF101 and TRF102. Doesn't mean it's bad, people are still racing them successfully. But each of the above three chassis mentioned has its specialty. I would say The X1 and the 102 are the most closely related since they both use flex plates. The TRF101 is more closely related to the F104 V2 since both use the link rear suspension.

It will depend quite a bit on what surface you'll be racing in. Also keep in mind, the above chassis all share the Tamiya plastic front suspension except for the 101 which has the carbon front arms. Either suspension only allows you to adjust amber (the plastic ones affect caster as a byproduct of the camber adjustment). The carbon 101 arms only allow camber adjustment so do not think it compares to the Yokomo or the Xray with their carbon arms. So I believe the Tamiya front suspension limits you in that end.
You can wobble the Xray bulkheads around to fine tune camber if you want to.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
No CRC WTF1-16s around? Excellent car and tough to beat at any price. Ready right out of the box, no hop ups needed. Also the X-Ray but it costs more.
+1 on the wtf1 16 I can't explain why but I run more consistent lap times with my crc than I do with my xray
Old 12-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

cool guys thanks again. A lot to learn.

Interesting notes on the WTF1 16 so i'll keep an eye out but haven't seen any. Also my impressions from most of what i've read online is that the Xray X1 is the pick of the bunch of all the current latest gen F1's by the majority of people (although in the end driver has largest influence of course and I'm sure of the other's work very well also)... I'll continue looking/ research and no doubt come back with more questions.