Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
APS-racing Dyno-Charger (3 in 1 charger) >

APS-racing Dyno-Charger (3 in 1 charger)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APS-racing Dyno-Charger (3 in 1 charger)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default APS-racing Dyno-Charger (3 in 1 charger)

Hi,

Does anyone got any comment on this new charger?
Pls advise.....

Refer to the link below:
http://www.magmarc.com/contents/media/t_APS3309_1.jpg
Old 07-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

A friend of mine has it and has never said anything bad about it. That's about all I know though
Old 07-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks.
Wondering if the motor dyno is accurate?
Does the charging gives any problem?
Most impt is the charger function..... So wanna find out more before buying.
Thank in advance for your info..

Originally Posted by Scott S
A friend of mine has it and has never said anything bad about it. That's about all I know though
Old 07-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diha
Thanks.
Wondering if the motor dyno is accurate?
Does the charging gives any problem?
Most impt is the charger function..... So wanna find out more before buying.
Thank in advance for your info..
I've been using one personally since it was released. Never had a problem! I use it to charge as a second charger, use it to break in motors, and even power the slave motor on my lathe for comm cutting. Works great, very small and compact too.

Steve Wang
Old 07-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes I bought mine from Steve, It makes a very nice addition to the the pit with motor run in and as a back up charger. Only one complant is that you can not use it on Dead shorted cells as it will not charge until there is 5.4volts in your pack so if you dead short then this charger will not suit you well.

-Shookie <><

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
I've been using one personally since it was released. Never had a problem! I use it to charge as a second charger, use it to break in motors, and even power the slave motor on my lathe for comm cutting. Works great, very small and compact too.

Steve Wang
Old 07-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Steve,
Thks for your info. However, wanna ask U a question.... Why do U choose to use this charger? U did not mention anything on the motor test, so does it means that U did not use this function? Then why not buy the duratrax ICE or Orion Advantage or LRP Puslar 2 charger? Those mention do have all this function. What is the pros & cons? Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by SpeedTech

Steve Wang
Old 07-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Shookie,

What do U mean by dead short. I normally do discharge my batt with team much more Zero discharge, to 0V. Does that means that I can't charge the battery in this case. But why? What is the reason behind that it can't charge batt lower than 0V? I am currently using a simple APex charger bought from Hong Kong. So am looking to buy a better one. What would U recommend? & why? Am new to this hobby, so need advise. Thanks in advance for your help & advise.

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Yes I bought mine from Steve, It makes a very nice addition to the the pit with motor run in and as a back up charger. Only one complant is that you can not use it on Dead shorted cells as it will not charge until there is 5.4volts in your pack so if you dead short then this charger will not suit you well.

-Shookie <><
Old 07-24-2005, 07:09 AM
B&O
Tech Apprentice

This is dead short the cell. Bringing the cell to 0V....

Most of the discharger leave 0.9v per cell which means about 5.4V in a pack.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well do you leave the packs on the ZeroV tray for days then put your packs right on the charger? if so then this charger will give you grief. If you pull your packs off the tray 30-45min before you charge than you are fine. I use this charger as a back up now. I have a Orion Advantage and it is great also. I would also consider the ICE....for the price the ICE is tops. If I were on a budget and wante4d a great charger for lowest price than the ICE would be in my pit.
-Shookie <><
No offence to APS it has served me well as a motor break in and in a pinch it has been a good back up charger. But I going to be using the Much More Cell Master and the Advantage for a while....well until the Spintec ICC charger comes out...than that will be in my pit....LOL
Originally Posted by diha
Hi Shookie,

What do U mean by dead short. I normally do discharge my batt with team much more Zero discharge, to 0V. Does that means that I can't charge the battery in this case. But why? What is the reason behind that it can't charge batt lower than 0V? I am currently using a simple APex charger bought from Hong Kong. So am looking to buy a better one. What would U recommend? & why? Am new to this hobby, so need advise. Thanks in advance for your help & advise.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie

-Shookie <><

I dead short my cells, and if a pack wont start to charge due to the no voltage when a pack is put on, i just use the motor test to put a bit of power in it, usually like 3 or 5 seconds, then charge with the long lockout turned on. Works better then my turbo gfx.....
Old 07-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

I have one that is 2 months old FOR SALE. Anyone interested PM me
Old 07-25-2005, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Hi All,
Thanks for all your info.
Is APS the only charger with pulse motor break-in?
Does Duratrek 'ICE' & Orion 'Advantage' have pulse motor break-in also?
Or just selective contant voltage with timing set?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM
R/C Tech Founder

There is also a full review of the charger here on R/C Tech:
http://www.rctech.net/pages/reviews.shtml
Old 07-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Its a great charger for the money.
The motor test feature doesnt really dyno the motor but it is a good reference tool to compare the motors numbers between uses.

I have struck the problem of it not starting a charge when batt has been discharged to zero v, but it is easily rectified by putting a short charge into the battery from the motor test menu.

The temp cutoff feature and ajustable delta peak are the main selling points of what is a good budget charger.