R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How to make the Peak 19T V2 motor fast (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/78921-how-make-peak-19t-v2-motor-fast.html)

AdrianM 07-24-2005 07:03 PM

How to make the Peak 19T V2 motor fast

I did it! I made my V2 Dynasty as fast or faster than the Reedy QM19 that everyone around here runs. This motor gets a lot of bad press from races but it just took a little time to get it figured out.

Here the setup:

Orion MR springs (10 Coil)
Orion Sprint Brushes (Not Sprint Edge, you want the additional overlap of the wider brush)
Break in for 300 sec at 2v
5.14:1 Gear Ratio (I run my Reedy QM19's at 5.72:1 at the same track, stand up brush Dynastys run at 5.40:1 around here)

The V2 end bell reduces the RPM of the Dynasty but the high amp draw when running it up at 5v convinced me that it could pull a monster gear. With the 5.14 final drive the motor has tons of snap coming out of corners and as much or more top end as any other motor on the track.

I did try running it at 5.00:1 but this was a bit too much. Acceleration suffered with this ratio at my track.

Gear up and give it a shot!

litespeed-dom 07-24-2005 07:30 PM

Thanks Adrian! My Dynasty V2 has made its way to bottom of the crappy motors box after 5 runs. Now I can dig it out, get it trued and give it a try again!

Dom

BlackKat 07-24-2005 07:32 PM

Adrian: Good job bro! How many packs would you say this setup would go in between cuts? (for a club racer)

AdrianM 07-24-2005 08:18 PM

I haven't tried re running it but it may be possible. After a hard run the comm is not as bad as on a QM19. It doesn't get red like the Reedy. When I cut my Dynasty all it needed was a very light skim to get it perfect again.

I would say you need to cut it every run if you race a tough crowd. Maybe 2 runs if your local race scene is more relaxed.

The Sprint brushes seem to be good for 4 runs. I have not tried the standard enduros but I will do so in the next few weeks. Remember, don't use Edge brushes like you run in the V2 Mods. Use the original round V2 Brushes and the stiff MR springs.

BlackKat 07-24-2005 08:28 PM

Adrian: I'm a guy who doesn't touch his Reedy Quad-Mag for 18 runs.....LOL

XXX Brushes are made for people like me

Sokool 07-24-2005 08:32 PM

Exactly how big is this track? I'm running my C2 Pro at 6.01:1 and it is on the verge of being over geared. Am I just calculating wrong here?

v0rtex 07-24-2005 08:38 PM

Thanks for those tips AdrianM.

Here at one club we must run the dynasty motor as a control motor, and they've just allowed the use of the V2 version of it in the class. Looking forward to running the motor with these tweaks! :nod:

PitCrew 07-24-2005 08:38 PM

The C2 is a bit of a higher RPM motor than the Reedy, at least.

I too run my reedy at 5.7

Whats with that needing to be cut every time though. Man that gets irritating.

Sokool 07-24-2005 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by PitCrew
The C2 is a bit of a higher RPM motor than the Reedy, at least.

I too run my reedy at 5.7

Whats with that needing to be cut every time though. Man that gets irritating.

Makes sence but that is one hell of a gearing jump.... 6 teeth on the pinion to be exact

C_O_jones 07-24-2005 08:47 PM

Thanks Adrian.
Could have used that info Fri. haha
Ran that motor Sat on a huge, 1/8 track, but with the strait shortened.
It was slow at 5.80:1 with not much improvement at 5.50:1 I just didnt have the heart to go any higher, and went back to a Chamelion 2 pro at 5.80
Did have the spring and brush setup, and that worked well.
I wil give it a try again, just gear it like a Tamiya silver can 540. :eek:
Fred Forg

Korey Harbke 07-24-2005 09:11 PM

Hey Fred, you should try your silver can gearing (ie. 4.00 FD :lol: )

-Korey

AdrianM 07-25-2005 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Thanks Adrian.
Could have used that info Fri. haha
Ran that motor Sat on a huge, 1/8 track, but with the strait shortened.
It was slow at 5.80:1 with not much improvement at 5.50:1 I just didnt have the heart to go any higher, and went back to a Chamelion 2 pro at 5.80
Did have the spring and brush setup, and that worked well.
I wil give it a try again, just gear it like a Tamiya silver can 540. :eek:
Fred Forg

You might be able to run 5.00 or lower if the track is long and flowing. My track is 140x70 and has tight and flowing sections. You really need a motor that has it all. Grunt and top end.

Pit Crew - The FL racing scene is pretty brutal. Every club race is like a nationals. Everyone has team level batteries, two GFX's, They buy a dozen motor to find a fast one, cut and rebrush every run in every class, new tires for the main, etc. But this is why the A-Mains in Stock and 19T at every big race in the last couple of years have been full of Floridian racers.

PW 07-25-2005 06:29 AM

Last post at 8:37am....Hmm...and late to work :ha:

TOASTY!!!!

BigDogRacing 07-25-2005 06:55 AM

LOL @ PW :lol:

Get on him PW!! You'll staighten him out one day!! :nod:

AdrianM 07-25-2005 08:25 AM

Actually it was the jammed up drive through at Dunkin Doughnuts that did me in :cry: