Search

Schumacher MI4 CX vs Serpent 411 Eryx

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Schumacher MI4 CX vs Serpent 411 Eryx

Hi there,

I've been racing off road 1/10 and a little 1/8 for the last 12 months and I'm just starting to do some on road as well.

I recently picked up a Schumacher Mi4 CX that I've been running with an old LRP Spere TC spec with a hobbyking 13.5t motor. I've got a Tekin RS and an Orca 13.5 sorted, which I was planning to put into it.

I've just been offered a second hand Serpent 411 Eryx as a bare roller + I'm estimating $100-$150 worth in spares @ new prices (I don't have any spares for the Mi4 CX) and I'm trying to work out whether or not it's worth my while, or if I should just buy some spares for the MI4 (or buy another roller as a parts pig).

Changover price is looking to be about $200AUD under the assumption I can get $150 for the Mi4.

Very much open to opinion with keeping in mind I am extremely new to on road, but am so far loving it and can see myself sticking with it alongside off road for the foreseeable future.

Thanks very much

Matt.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh, local parts availability is a moot point. The only hobby shop near me is the local toy shop and they only stock a very very limited range of traxxas and HPI spares. So I'm internet/mail order only regardless.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Id go with the Serpent particularly as its a current model car and still very well supported and raced by the team whereas the mi4 is an old car now and not the current model and so support may not be there. I run the Serpent and get on very well with the car and locally it is very popular. For sure given the choice I'd definitely go with the Serpent...
Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've spent a lot of time with the Mi4 LP and Mi4 CXL. Now I'm on an Xray T4 2014. The way the chassis-mounted suspension holders keep the setup stable is awesome. I also love the vertical ball stud camber links versus the camber link plates. Dual pivot steering with east-west servo mounting also makes electronics layout so much better. The Schumacher Mi4 line is also a bit chubby, with relatively high CoG.

I've raced against a few versions of S411, but never driven one. As was already mentioned, it's a much newer car and it's clearly capable of competing at the highest levels. Serpent spares I think are considerably cheaper, too.

So I'd say dump the Schui, jump on the Serpent, and don't look back.

-Mike
Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks so far, appreciate the replies.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

No more thoughts? No love for the Schumacher? :P
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Initiate

A few years ago I was driving schumacher mi4cx. And now I drive serpent eryx which is for my opinion beter and faster. Parts for serpent is cheaper but schumacher is almost bulletproof
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Between the two, I'd go for the ERYX. Pretty nice car.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chamelion
No more thoughts? No love for the Schumacher? :P

The Schuey generates more grip on low traction surfaces than just about anything else, very good in the wet.

I'd go for the serpent.

Bb
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cheers guys.. I picked up the serpent 411 eryx tonight. Will see how it goes I guess.

Matt.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chamelion
Cheers guys.. I picked up the serpent 411 eryx tonight. Will see how it goes I guess.

Matt.
Now that you've settled on which car your getting, you may want to just go thru this http://serpent.com/product/400013/tech-tips/ just to check out the car.

Then come on over here, http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-s411-418.html, we'll be waiting for you.