Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC Terms

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default ESC Terms

I need help on what is so special about these features on esc's.

-Drive Frequency
-Brake Frequency
-on-resistance
-discrete steps
-and currents

THANK you very much... I have been confused for a long time
Old 07-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

There is nothing "special" about the features, they are just electrical measurements and all ESC's will have a value.

Drive/Brake frequency is to do with how frequent the switching is that drives the motor. An electronic speed controller creates variable speed by switching full power on and off very quickly, rather than reducing the actual voltage to the motor. Higher drive frerquencies feel smoother to drive and reduce wear on the motor. But people often program a lower drive frequency for a punchier feel.

On-resistance is the resistance caused by the speed controller while poer goes through it. Lower is better.

Discrete steps - the number of steps the speed controller has. For example, a basic Tamiya mechanical speed controller has 3 steps forward, most electronic speed controllers will have hundreds - more positions than you could put your thumb/finger in!

Currents - car speed controllers used to be rated by current, now most are rated with a turn limit. Probably because the current handling thing was widely misused and also because modern speed controllers work in different ways. You used to have speedos with peak current handling of 500A or so, now you rarely see one over 150A. These measurements are usually theoretical based on the components used. I would pay attention to the motor limit rather than current handling.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you