R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Smile M-05 speed help

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum, and I need some help.

I have been racing for quite a while now, and I race in the mini (Tamiya M-03 / M-05 class)

I have done some hop ups etc.

I need to know what more can I do to pick up my lap times with a few seconds. (We race on tar tracks), and there's 2 other racers that is a tad faster than I am on the straight.

Here's my setup:

Sport Tuned Motor (Highest Brushed motor allowed according to Tamiya Cup Rules), only other motor allowed 14T sensorless Brushless (Too expensive and I'm not a big fan of brushless yet...)
Standard Tamiya ESC
Aluminium Steering parts
Bearings all around
Re-inforced Gear Set
Coated 20T Pinion Gear
M-Grip Tyres Radials
Normal Grease in Gearbox
1 degree toe-in on front

My weight on my car is now 1.270 and minimum is 1.200...so cant really go less there.
Bonzai316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

I've never raced on a tar type of track other then old tar covered parking lots.

You could experiment with the pinion gear and radio settings. The radio might not be giving you 100% full trigger. I had that problem before, changed radios and my M-05Pro suddenly got faster. Gained 1.5 seconds a lap and put me near the top of the speed charts with everyone else.

My guess is this being true for you too.

If you can, try and borrow another radio/receiver for a few hours to see if that made any difference. Wish I still had my Mini, miss that class soooo much.

BTW, TCS rules will allow 21.5 brushless in the mini class this year. Speeds shouldn't be all that much faster over the silver cans.
Mike Zadler
Associated TC3 VTA & TC6 USGT
Tamiya M-05
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

The Tamiya speed controls work, but are not very efficient and you might consider using something else. If you haven't already done so, change the whiye battery connectors for Deans Ultra as these are more efficient and don't heat up like the white type.

I ran my stock M-03 and M-05 gear diffs without the thick grease and only ever used a light coating of diff lube. Check all ball bearings to ensure they are butter smooth. Replace as required and only use a single drop of bearing oil for lube.

I ran about 1 degree of toe-out on my minis as this helped for cornering. A shim kit would help reduce the inherent suspension slop that all mini kits have. Just don't make things too tight.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys.

They allow the 14T brushless and 12.5T brushless in the Tamiya Cup here(South Africa), but its just too expensive for me at this stage. Ive topped on the pinion and weight(or almost).

I will try the remote. And see if I can get another ESC also to test.

I was thinking of using a mineral oil in the gearbox, only to have some lubrication and removing the grease. (We used to do this in the TA-03's when we raced 13 years back).

What do you think about this?
Bonzai316 is offline   Reply With Quote