R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What makes them better ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/785491-what-makes-them-better.html)

rtenzo02 01-13-2014 08:07 PM

What makes them better ?

I did a few searches and could not find a straight answer so I decided to post my question here. I would like to know what makes TC6, TRF, Yokomo , Xray etc.. Better than a sakura xi sport or a spec r s1 for example ? Is it the designs, parts quality ? I know there are large differences in price and the high priced brands sponsor alot of big names in the rc world and each hold titles. Are the low priced cars as those I used for examples just as capable as the cars that win Championships ? Please explain !

rc car guy 01-13-2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by rtenzo02 (Post 12903801)
I did a few searches and could not find a straight answer so I decided to post my question here. I would like to know what makes TC6, TRF, Yokomo , Xray etc.. Better than a sakura xi sport or a spec r s1 for example ? Is it the designs, parts quality ? I know there are large differences in price and the high priced brands sponsor alot of big names in the rc world and each hold titles. Are the low priced cars as those I used for examples just as capable as the cars that win Championships ? Please explain !

Well mg .02 is that the big names have the money and can do the research/tweaking and testing to make a car the best it can be im sure there are guys that like the smaller brand cars however lets go and look at any major racers and see which of the a mains for tc one of these smaller manufactorers have made it now hat being said every company has started out small and proved themself ans thats why they are were they are

mooby64 01-13-2014 09:12 PM

The saying is "It's the nut behind the wheel" Give a world class driver a decent chassis and it may win. Give a world class chassis to a decent driver and it is an average car. In the long run, it is all about the driver, set-up and practice, practice,practice.

Buy the car you want, name brand, clone, whatever and to hell with the haters. :nod:

rtenzo02 01-13-2014 09:20 PM

So does this mean the high dollar cars are designed better for competitive racing ? Im really not understanding ? So if the smaller company's had the right drivers it would be there brand that's considered a high end car ? Can someone point out a specific area of a high end car that makes it better than one of the two low end cars I mentioned ? Maybe someone who has raced both types of cars can answer why one was better than the other !

rtenzo02 01-13-2014 09:23 PM

Mooby good reply ! And thanks for your response ! So one is not really better than the other ? The brand name is what people are paying the extra $$ for ?

mav913 01-13-2014 09:27 PM

In my honest opinion,

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

Any of the "lesser" brand cars can win and many have but a LOT of it is the guy driving it.
The best thing you can do for ANY brand of car out on the market is drive the wheels off of it as much as you can.
I have had both ends of the spectrum and can honestly say that the "UBBER" cars, as I like to call them, engineering wise don't impress me anymore. Show me a guy take a turd and make it fly and that will......

OVA 01-13-2014 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by rtenzo02 (Post 12904029)
Mooby good reply ! And thanks for your response ! So one is not really better than the other ? The brand name is what people are paying the extra $$ for ?

Do you one own a real car?
You Think all car drive and ride the same if you pay 10,000 ?

B00t13g 01-13-2014 09:50 PM

You're paying for a better design with testing to back if up, support from the company as well as a better quality vehicle.

Odin544 01-13-2014 09:54 PM

Higher end cars have better materials, tighter tolerances. Anyone can design a car in CAD and have it made. Making a good car is a whole nother story. I've owned a Sakura and the Spec R cars as well as Tamiya and Xray. The cheap cars are complete garbage in comparison to Xray and Tamiya. In terms of quality of materials and fit and finish.

Is a high end car going to make you a faster/better driver? No, absolutely not.

rtenzo02 01-13-2014 10:21 PM

Think I got it ! Just like anything else you pay for what you get , design, quality , and reliability . Rather the differences are seen in building, driving, or tuning , there are advantages to the more expensive cars.

tak4 01-14-2014 03:47 AM

I owned many of the cars mentioned and here is my blog entry on them.

http://www.racereadyrcs.blogspot.com...d-history.html

If you read you will see how much problems i had with the Sakura. And before you jump to the conclusion that I'm just hating on the cheaper car, take a look at who started the Sakura XI thread.

After that experience, i do believe you get what you paid for. The only brand that has proved me wrong so far are the TeamC buggies.

frozenpod 01-14-2014 04:04 AM

Law of deminishing returns also applies.

The high end chassi will often not be faster but are often slightly better quality and the slight improvement comes at a considerable cost.

chasingthepack 01-14-2014 07:01 AM

to me it seems that xray go and do all the hard work then the japanese come along and copy them,xray,tamiya,schumacher etc all do r and d the cheaper brands use cheaper poor quality materials so itll wear out twice as fast with no r and d at all,and they dont have factory drivers so no help with set ups either

ercwhtsd 01-14-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by rtenzo02 (Post 12903801)

Some of the differences between the wide range of prices, in no particular order;

mold quality and design to eliminate molding voids
mold tolerances including draft angle of cores
material interaction and selection
material shrinkage after molding and how it effects tolerances
alloy quality, (no 2 alloys from different smelters/foundries are the same)
composite quality, is it virgin, virgin/regrind mix, or all re-grind.
original design or parts from many sources thrown together

I have a wide variety of chassis', from the low end to the high end. I prefer the high end for build quality and consistency, however, like the challenge of the low end to get them to preform the same as their luxury counterparts, all without expensive option/upgrade parts.

JiuHaWong 01-14-2014 07:58 AM

I try and buy "high end" only. I have a new policy of buying only established manufacture's products; the smaller, RC cottage industry still has a LONG way to go in their quality, fit and finish. Not all of them, but many of them. The cars out of Japan and Slovakia have the best fit and finish, IMHO.