Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
A decent 17.5 for blinky, fixed timing >

A decent 17.5 for blinky, fixed timing

A decent 17.5 for blinky, fixed timing

Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default A decent 17.5 for blinky, fixed timing

As the thread title states, what's a decent 17.5 motor for touring on a short twisty outdoor asphalt track. The class rules state blinky with fixed timing. However, I doubt timing advance will hold up and very well might change it to timing advance.

What are your suggestions? And why? What are the performance characteristics of your choice?

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 01-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
As the thread title states, what's a decent 17.5 motor for touring on a short twisty outdoor asphalt track. The class rules state no boost and no timing advance (0 degree). However, I doubt timing advance will hold up and very well might change it to timing advance.

What are your suggestions? And why? What are the performance characteristics of your choice?
No timing advance? Do you mean through the esc or on the motor endbell? Almost all motors come with the endbell timing advanced somewhat. If your track will allow it the D3.5 is prob still the best, but will not be allowed at most tracks past march. It has a ton of low end and it is super fast on the top end as well. If your allowed to use endbell timing it's a monster at about 20* on the endbell. I have ran the killshots as well and they are fast as well. If your track is twisty then the High torque version of the Killshot with a HT rotor is the way to go. I have switched to Orca motors and like them as much as the Trinity motors. I think they are almost as fast and have a ton of torque since they come stock with a 12.5 rotor. Any which way you go you should use a 12.5 HT rotor to help with the low end punch.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've just grabbed a Team Orion VST 2 Pro 17.5, and from what I have seen of other friends running that motor, it is very fast with a lot of timing adjustment.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

A couple of guys at our track run the kill shots with the ht rotor one guy is running a speed passion and a couple are running the orca 17.5 the best motors ate the d3.5 however they are going to be illegal in march