R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   need help with connections. Battery & esc (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/785-need-help-connections-battery-esc.html)

prelude19 10-03-2001 07:44 AM

need help with connections. Battery & esc

what connections should i use connect my battery to my esu. should i use the white ones that came already hooked-up on the battery or should i use those black and red conections. which ones are easier to install. i dont care about perfromance wise just whats easier to install. we installed these black ones on my friends battery,esc and charger and it was hard and he is having problems with them coming loose. so are the white ones alot easier to use. peace

Alvin 10-03-2001 07:56 AM

hmm by "white ones" I believe those are the stock tamiya connectors... I have had several friends melt those, apart from them coming loose after some time...

Why not try some Dean's Ultra Plugs or Corally style connectors? I use deans because (imho) once u get the polarity correct it's impossible to plug 'em in wrongly.

HTHs...

Regards,
Alvin

Darkseid 10-03-2001 08:22 AM

prelude19: The corally style plugs are probably the easiest to put on, BUT and this is a BIG BUT, you must be keep your head straight when hooking them up. Theres nothing to keep you from plugging them up wrong. The ease of attachment and secure hold make them very popular though. I would say stick with the Corally plug, Trinity, or Eagle if you pick this type. I have heard of problem with the Reedy plugs.

Sermos style(Red and Black) these are really good plugs. You have to be brain dead to hook them up backwards. And if you have the red and black hooked together at their sides, its impossible to hook them up backwards. THe best way I have found to hook them up is by first using 14 guage wire. 12 is just too thick unless you strip some of the strands off the exposed end. Then tin the wire, slide it into the metal plug and heat the plug, simple! THis does require a pretty hot iron to heat through the metal plug though. Then just snap them into the red or black plastic piece. Simple.

The deans plug are pretty much impossible to hook up backwards as Alvin already said. They are also pretty easy to hook up. If you pick these plugs, remember two things.
1. after you heat the wire and tab(on the plugs) to attach them, be sure to hold them steady and blow on them as soon as you remove the iron. THose deans' plugs hold the iron heat very well, so if you just stop soldering and let go of everything, they will most likely come apart before the solder cools.
2. Make sure you push the black heat shrink tubing far enough down the wire so that they don't get hot enough to shrink where you dont want them to. This is important, because that tubing makes sure that nothing can short the negative and postive leads together at the tab area.

That pretty much the rundown. I would reccomend the sermos style or deans, because you seem pretty new to this and getting the leads crossed up with the Corally style is just too risky. The last thing you need is a blow speedo or something.

And always use 60/40 rosin core solder. But you already knew that. So good luck.