Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mo3 vs Mo5

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mo3 vs Mo5

what are the difference between the two??? im just starting this hobby. pls help. thanks...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

http://tinyurl.com/23z774n

I seriously don't know, but that's the first thing I would have done
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21

nice answer to a noob !!!

check out the Tamiya Mini cooper thread

we are descussing the M05 and all the mods at the moment

i love my M03 but the M05 is more race orientated i think
Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks sidecaephil1
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up I chooose the M05!

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
nice answer to a noob !!!

check out the Tamiya Mini cooper thread

we are descussing the M05 and all the mods at the moment

i love my M03 but the M05 is more race orientated i think

Yes, Sidecarphil is correct, reason being the servo is moved in the middle and down in the chassis, the M03 is up in the front of the car. This centers the weight and lowers the center of gravity so the car isn't so top heavy. This inturn adds to a more balanced handling car, yes for racing. Here in So. Cal. the mini's are the most popular car and the most fun. These cars are very durable and very good choice if your on a budget.
Just my 2$
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21

This is the first thread that pops up when you google m05 vs m03...

Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

consider getting the m05 pro. It has all the necessary upgrades. Or the M06 r (the nice red one) which is even better. Has try dampers and everything. and is not that much more than a 05 pro on rcmart. The standard minis need a bunch of things such as bearings, preferably oil shocks, and non taping screwa.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

All you will ever need to know on this site, seriously.
http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/

Are you going to race it, check the local race rules . Some clubs will allow upgrades & ad-ons, other wont & must be run as - is.

In stock form (as per local rules) I found the M03 easier to drive, less likely to roll from my bad driving. Not much difference in speed, if any. (I have had both)
Many absolutely hated the M05 when it came out, many now love it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sioti1231
what are the difference between the two??? im just starting this hobby. pls help. thanks...
Simple question, but difficult to answer. The M05 is the newer car and the more complicated one. The M03 predates the 05 by a number of years, is much simpler, and is less expensive to race. The 03 is also a bit quicker on the low to medium grip racing surfaces. The 05 might be a little better for a new racer on the higher grip surfaces like carpet.

Also the 05 is much more expensive to fully upgrade than the 03. But, if you plan to race the TCS Series, the 03 may be retired in a few years.

The 03 is easier to set up and is less sensitive to changing track conditions. It is also much easier to "work" on. But, a well set up 05 is generally smoother and easier to drive.

Both models have their advocates, but the 03 is "King" at one of our local tracks, but the 05 holds it's own at a local carpet track.

After all that, I'd suggest the 03 for you. It's less expensive, used ones are plentiful, easier to work on and set up. If you run on carpet, for someone in your situation, the 05 might be the better option.

Hope this helps instead of confuses.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Wink

You can build a very competitive M03 relatively inexpensively. I have placed in the top 3 at TCS races using an M03 against 06 and 05 models with very good drivers and lots of options.

The cheapest M03 setup for that level of racing includes MO5 plastic front c-hubs, sway bars, plastic dampner set, touring car springs, better servo saver, and a shimmed up gear dif.

The M06 had a slight edge on open track but in traffic the M03 has more ability to modify lines and still turn fast laps. On a VERY high traction carpet track, it would be very hard to beat a well setup M06. The M05 is harder to get a fast aggressive setup on but is easier to drive. The biggest strength and weakness of the M05 is the centered lowered servo and steering linkages. Just upgrading the steering system can be pricey. On the M03 all you need is a set of M05 knuckles, balljoints, and strong servo saver at a cost of around $30.

The only place the M03 starts to limit you is very grippy tracks. Although nothing I have not been able to solve with a little CA glue on the tires.

Anytime I see a local struggling in mini class it is almost always tire prep or a sloppy steering linkage.

And yes, EXPO can help tremendously on steering on an aggressively setup M03. Due to the direct linkage and long servo saver, the steering off center is too sensitive for most drivers. A little expo can help! OR a lot on glue on the inner one or two treads on the front tires....

If you are racing beyond this level, time to step up and let the sportsman guys have a chance at a win!