Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a newcomers guide?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Is there a newcomers guide?

I consider myself brand new to rc cars, even though I've owned an HPI Nitro -- I only used it for parking lot bashing and it was RTR.

I am interested in switching to electric on-road racing.

Browsing the forums I run across all sorts of terms I'm unfamiliar with (i.e. dual crank steering, arms, blades, spool cups, etc...).

Are there any links that can get me up to speed.

I'm specifically interested in a summary of the basic car components then maybe a breakdown of those components, how they work, how they impact driving, how they are used for tuning, etc...

Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know if this is exactly what your looking for, but i think there are 5 parts to it. This is part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sliCxsIZ3v4
I forget if its hudy or a different company, they have a pretty good guide.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Get a manual for any touring car (Xray, Hobao, etc) and just flip through it on how to build a car for the basic terminology.

A more expensive prospect is start breaking parts and you will learn the names really quick
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The above suggestions are good.

Also search youtube for "Chris Grainger". There's some good videos that explain some of the basic setup and tuning on a touring car.

The "XRAY T3 Set-up Book" also has some useful information, and can be found here:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...0&catName=XRAY T4 2014 Specs

If you're on iOS or Android, you can get Martin Crisp's app (forget the name) that has in-depth information on setup.

But keep in mind, it's easy to overwhelm yourself with information about setup theory and such when you're getting started.

In order of importance:
1) Learn how to build / prepare the car properly. Static weight balance, making sure things are moving free, trimming out steering, removing tweaks, saucing tires, etc. As long as the car is prepared properly, and there's nothing cranked to 11 in the setup, the car will drive pretty well and be decently fast.
2) Learn to drive consistently. This is the hard part.
3) Get a clear idea of what the car is doing, and what you want it to do differently. This is the even harder part.
4) Then learn how to make setup changes to accomplish what you want.

Your most valuable resource is all the great people at the track! They're especially helpful with #1. Sometimes having someone experienced go through your car for a few minutes will spot basic issues. Or handing them the transmitter for a few laps will identify major handling issues that are easily fixed.

-Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get to the track. Watch the races. Ask every question that comes to mind. Decide what class you think you will like best. Buy the chassis that you see the most guys running, or that has the best parts support at your local shop. Put it together. Make some laps. Start slow. Keep it off the rails. Get faster. Go race. Get faster. Go race. Get faster. Become addicted to buying shiny pieces of carbon fiber and polished aluminum.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

RC guide e-book

They're having a back to basics feature on the main page too
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice.

I've grabbed a copy of the manual of the car I am looking at and the ActionRC eBook is great.

Thanks again
B