Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing skills question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dlloy
I'll tell ya who not to run with, people that have been on the racing "circuit". People who run 5/10 laps more than you in 5 minutes. You'll find yourself pulling over to the side to get out of the way and your lap times will only discourage you from wanting to keep racing.

Ummmm, that doesn't make any sense. What are "5/10 laps"? If that means half a lap then the slow guy never has to pull over. If you mean 5-10 laps more then that's one really small track. Maybe a small indoor carpet track a guy could get lapped 5-10 times, but if he's on anything of medium size, then he's just wrecking and needs to practice making the turns before he worries about improving his setup and reaction times.

I'm going to practice with mod from now on. It will make me a better driver and give me more practice with setting up a car. Only thing I did wrong last time I did this was practice with mod on a large track, then when I went to stock, my motors felt like junk and I had my gearing way off.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Okay, sorry, I was talking about a very small tight track and getting lapped five or 10 or 15 or 20...whatever is still discouraging. The slow guy pulls over and gets out of the way of the fast guy. Or do you just keep driving your line and not move. It makes plenty of sense. Fast guy laps slow guy. When the fast guy is turning low 8 sec laps and you can't do 11 or 14 sec laps from pulling over all the time. Ummmmm.....makes perfect sense. Really you don't have time to hit the boards, if you keep pulling over. All I was trying to say was, don't run with the guys that are too much better than you. If your car isn't set up correctly then how can you work on any skills? You can't work on your skills with a car that is tweaked.

5/10 laps mean 5 or 10 laps, I can see were the confusion was.

Last edited by dlloy; 07-18-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

About being a aggressive driver, lets say on a straight away, a car is coming up near you that is faster, is it ok to not let him pass and sort of block his way of getting in front? I've raced for 2 seasons and so far, I've done it once and made the guy crash... I ended up getting 2nd overall but ah.... Not to intentionally crash the guy but being agressive over all. Is this ok? I don't want to be driving like a grandma or anything haha..
Old 07-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hold your line down the straight but don't block! Mirror driving down the straight usually will result in multiple broken cars, including your own. The faster guy may also let up unless he's got a good clean line to make a run and make the pass down the straight. I know I really don't like making a pass down the straight. It's tough because you're at full speed and if the guy in front of you moves (either to block or even to get out of the way) in the wrong direction, it's hard to avoid contact. Many times if I'm faster than a guy in the straight, I'll use that extra speed to try and set him up to pass going into the first corner after the straight.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

The slow guy doesn't get out of the way? Is that hacking or "rubbin is racin"?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Believe it or not, running a Kyosho Mini-Z 1/28 scale would improve your skills.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

The slow guy doesn't get out of the way? Is that hacking or "rubbin is racin"?
Hacking and holding your line are two different things. If the guy is faster in the straight, just hold your line. He'll either be brave and pass on the straight, or if he's faster all around, he'll get you in the corners. If you're racing for position (not in qualifying) you don't have to let him by. Make him work for it. But don't block in the straight and don't hit him if and when he gets passed you through the corners. (That would be Hacking) If he's lapping you, make it easy for him to get by. When you're the one leading you'll want the lappers to move, so extend the courtesy when you're the one being lapped.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Hacking and holding your line are two different things. If the guy is faster in the straight, just hold your line. He'll either be brave and pass on the straight, or if he's faster all around, he'll get you in the corners. If you're racing for position (not in qualifying) you don't have to let him by. Make him work for it. But don't block in the straight and don't hit him if and when he gets passed you through the corners. (That would be Hacking) If he's lapping you, make it easy for him to get by. When you're the one leading you'll want the lappers to move, so extend the courtesy when you're the one being lapped.

That's what I was trying to say in my first post, you have to get out of the way when you are a lapped car and then your lap times drop. When there is open practice at the track don't you get out of the way of the fast guy?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

If its a gas car yes... August 5,6,7 at my LHS they're have a onroad nitro v.s electric. www.mhorrc.com
Old 07-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

That's what I was trying to say in my first post, you have to get out of the way when you are a lapped car and then your lap times drop. When there is open practice at the track don't you get out of the way of the fast guy?
Yes, if a faster car is coming up on me in practice or qualifying, I'll move over. In qualifying, if you try and keep someone behind you, it'll slow you and them down. Find a spot where moving 12 inches higher in a corner will give them the inside lane but not cost you more than a tenth or so on the track. Then try and hang onto the faster guys back bumper and try and pace him. You can learn a lot by following a faster driver. By blocking someone, he's going to hit you or you hit him and both slow down.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Alright, my last post on this subject. In my very humble opinion, practice with the people that you race against and sit and watch the "fast people" practice or race, watch the lines they drive. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by dlloy; 07-18-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

2WD Buggy is my oppinion.i feel they are the most difficult car to drive.fun as hell but makes you learn alot about setup and throttle control.most of the time people do not go too far away from there standard setups on touring car or 1/12th.2WD buggy requires alot of setup attention due to changing track conditions throughout the day.i always find my onroad driving improved after a few weeks of 2WD buggy.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Thanks for the props Howard. I won't debate someone doesn't want anyone to know who he is. I felt his comments needed to be addressed because the advice he gave is among some of the worst R/C advice I have ever heard. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong,(but I'm not).
Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've being run mod for close to 12 months now for the reason of wanting to improve my stock driving.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Buy a mini-z car and goto a hobbyshop that has a mini-z RCP track. You'll have to get just a few items to make the mini-z handle better ( Ball diff, atomic stock motor, t-plates, and tires ). Attached, you'll see a track I set up during the rainy season in my garage and a pix of my mini-z car.
Attached Thumbnails Racing skills question.-session-5.1.jpg   Racing skills question.-img_1452.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.