R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Making weight for VTA and USGT - HELP!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/782232-making-weight-vta-usgt-help.html)

evoracr 12-31-2013 11:35 AM

Making weight for VTA and USGT - HELP!!

I have a couple of TC6.1's that I am racing in VTA and USGT classes and I went to a new track where they require the cars to weigh at least 1450 grams. So, how do I add weight to the chassis to make the weight? I have chassis weights, but have no idea where to put them on the chassis.

Or is it better to buy different kits that are heavier.

Any help is much appreciated.

Justin33 12-31-2013 11:41 AM

Put the weight as close to the centre line of the car use the weights to balance out your left and right weights add more to front for more steering more towards the rear for more traction. Dont get a heavier car its better to be able to place your weights where u want them

ThePanda 12-31-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Justin33 (Post 12860424)
Put the weight as close to the centre line of the car use the weights to balance out your left and right weights add more to front for more steering more towards the rear for more traction. Dont get a heavier car its better to be able to place your weights where u want them

Yep, center line, and down low.

IndyRC_Racer 12-31-2013 12:12 PM

Another option is to place the weights on the battery as low as possible and as close to the center line of the chassis as possible.

If you are using different batteries during the course of the race day, make sure to weigh them to confirm the are all the same weight. If you old practice/qualifying battery is heavier than your newer main battery, it will affect handling if you don't account for the difference.

Sticking a lot of weights onto a carbon fiber chassis can affect chassis flex, so be mindful when/where applying them.

IndyRC_Racer 12-31-2013 12:12 PM

<sorry double post>

theproffesor 12-31-2013 03:37 PM

Where are you racing? If its at BRR there are plenty of guys there that can help you that have that chassis. If its at the Grove I am pretty sure they are actually 1550 for VTA. I race at both but mainly BRR. I had an old HPI pro 4 that needed 225g added to make weight. Just get the stick on weights and place them as low and as centered as possible. I have some in front and behind battery and under steering rack. I have 5g behind the motor. My VBC Wildfire comes in at 340g at each rear and 325g for each front. The body weighs about 125g so that brings it to 1455g for legal ROAR VTA (thats what thry run at BRR). If I get back to The Grove, Ill just add more weight.

Good luck and have fun. Youll figure it out

theproffesor 12-31-2013 03:37 PM

Where are you racing? If its at BRR there are plenty of guys there that can help you that have that chassis. If its at the Grove I am pretty sure they are actually 1550 for VTA. I race at both but mainly BRR. I had an old HPI pro 4 that needed 225g added to make weight. Just get the stick on weights and place them as low and as centered as possible. I have some in front and behind battery and under steering rack. I have 5g behind the motor. My VBC Wildfire comes in at 340g at each rear and 325g for each front. The body weighs about 125g so that brings it to 1455g for legal ROAR VTA (thats what thry run at BRR). If I get back to The Grove, Ill just add more weight.

Good luck and have fun. Youll figure it out

ThePanda 12-31-2013 04:36 PM

its dp carzy in here tonight! :lol:

yes, the battery is a popular place to put weights. You want to balance the chassis, and the battery side is often lighter.

coolair 02-02-2015 10:01 AM

balance your car first... might need to put weights more to one side over the other...

Race19s 02-02-2015 10:32 AM

Balance is the goal. Take a food scale and weigh your electronics and then weigh your battery. On mine between the servo-motor-esc-rx-transponder(on left side) I had 96 grams more than the Battery(right side). Once your equal, add even amounts to each side til you get total weight your after.

Mattkore 02-02-2015 04:00 PM

we just had to make a tc6.1 1550 grams for a 4 hour VTA enduro race and it was pretty insane how much weight had to go in there.... most of it was put just in front of the rear wheels on the chassis. It really was a ton of weight...

Microtome 02-02-2015 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mattkore (Post 13823090)
we just had to make a tc6.1 1550 grams for a 4 hour VTA enduro race and it was pretty insane how much weight had to go in there.... most of it was put just in front of the rear wheels on the chassis. It really was a ton of weight...

Oh man that sounds fun. How many cars started the race and on what size track?

Seems a lot of guys are using the Pinewood derby Tungsten plates. As soon as I get caught up on some other projects I'm going to try an Aluminum Chassis thick enough to make up the difference. Can't hardly get the weight any lower than that.