How long brushed motors will survive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long brushed motors will survive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default How long brushed motors will survive?

Hi,

I dont want to start a debate on brushed vs Brushless motors but as I was looking into getting a comm lathe for my brushed motors it made me wonder how long we will continue to use the Brushed technology..?

The rules are making Brushless legal in Big Races but it seems that the latest brushless ESC\motors are still not as good as a Brushed 7x1, power wise and maybe throttle feel wise...

Also, dont you think brushed motors should be allowed to use the same advantages as brushless to be on a fair compairason (magnets, number of poles, etc...)?

Basically, let me know if you think brushed motors still have a couple of years in front of them before everyone switches to brushless so that I know if I should buy a comm lathe..?

Thank you!!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

I would say at least 10 - 15 years for brushless to completely take over racing. It may never happen.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think brushless wil ever completely take over...there is way to many motor building companies... if they can still sell motors, they will..
Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I would go along with what Rick said but the timeline is a little too laid back if Novaks systems are anything to go by, so i would say 5-10 years tops but like the man says, "it may never happen"
Old 07-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you guys!

I didnt think you would give brushed motors that long but I am actually happy to hear this, I think brushed motors are really part of the fun in our hobby, it can be a pain to keep them running strong at times but all the tunability, setup work and the large amount of caracteristics they offer is definitely a big factor of fun and racing success!

Do you think there is still more improvement to be done on brushed technology?

THANK YOU!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tbevofreak
Thank you guys!

Do you think there is still more improvement to be done on brushed technology?

THANK YOU!
Theres always room for improvement/tweak to make Brushed motors more efficient, by how much?, Im not sure. Who would have thought the V2 motors could be any better than those motors of previous?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

well, the V2s are great but power wise they didnt really bring an improvement but with todays batteries I think motors will have to be more efficient to help with overheating probs

Round brushes will certainely get more and more popular, I wouldnt mind checking out the new Team Checkpoint motor
Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Legend

For me I gona get the Lrp Sphere as soon as it comes out.

That way I will be able to have the best of both worlds, brushless or brush .... I got both !

10 to 15 year`s LoL !

more like 2 to 3 years....
Old 07-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
For me I gona get the Lrp Sphere as soon as it comes out.

That way I will be able to have the best of both worlds, brushless or brush .... I got both !

10 to 15 year`s LoL !

more like 2 to 3 years....
Well, me and a few others would be happy to admit, that we thought BL Technology would take over overnight and this was like 2 years ago, a year after when the First BL (rc cars) units were made to the wider public. So all in all BL has been open to RC Cars for 3 years it, someone may argue that they have been about a lot longer and ill agree but like i said, for use of rc cars to the wider public.

To get back on track. its been 3 years and little and slowly has BL made an impact, and judging from the progress, it wont be another 5 years for it to be openly recognised by all. From the coments ive been reading from a wide variety of forums. People still regard the cost of units to be expensive, however as ive also mentioned with the Novaks systems in place and awaiting for roll out to the public, this could speed things up a bit. It really boils down to the public if this is to be a wide success or not. We shall see!

I am hopefull but part of me understands the brushed motor side and to be honest i still like fidling with the darned things. Im just not 100% ready to give up on Brushed motors. And i know all about the arguments the pro/cons.

I think the fight between Brushed/Brushless is just heating up.. Fun times ahead i see
Old 07-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Legend

freak

Buy the lathe !

Stock will be the same motor`s for some time to come....

you still will need the lathe !
Old 07-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO, it's not the 6-turn equivelant controller from a novak/lrp everyone keeps waiting for that is going to change the hobby... it's the one that costs $85 for both the controller and motor, and is included with rtr kits. the other thing holding BL back won't be the performance, it will be people not wanting to step up to a 'mod' level class (hopefully this is where the limited rpm controllers will come into play).
Old 07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gee-dub
IMO, it's not the 6-turn equivelant controller from a novak/lrp everyone keeps waiting for that is going to change the hobby... it's the one that costs $85 for both the controller and motor, and is included with rtr kits. the other thing holding BL back won't be the performance, it will be people not wanting to step up to a 'mod' level class (hopefully this is where the limited rpm controllers will come into play).
I'd go brushless if they made an esc that can run the motor at stock, 19, and mod. Same motor and esc, just different profiles.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Tbevofreak you should ask you self this question:

Do I want to waste money on disposable motors/armatures, and loads of sets of brushes every year?

Or do I want a motor than lasts for ever with virtualy no performance loss from race to race, with more speed AND effeciency than any brushed motor?

The money you would of spent on a comm lathe would pay for half of the new novak combo, which is not that expensive when you compare the price of a top of the line brushed speedo and esc.

Don't wait for other people to buy brushless before you, because they might be the muggs that prefer to waste money and time on old technolgy, that is has worse performance. I'd rather spend the time on my car than messing with a motor.

With brushless, racing become much less hassle.

Don't forget, if you wanted to upgrade to a newer brushless motor or esc. You can still get a high % of what you paid for your old stuff, because it doesn't wear out and there will be a demand for old brushless gear more in the future. Brushed esc will be worthless, nobody would want to buy that old junk
Old 07-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

Question for anyone who mite have a answer .........will we all run the same motor stock and mod. I guess we mite have two motors stock and mod?. Will it be up to the user to set up the speedo to limit the power for a class? FYI The new ROAR rule books says 129.00 dollar limit on brushless motors. What will the limit be on the speed controls? 200.00-500.00 or more.

Last edited by gotyournumber; 07-18-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm a brushed guy myself. I love working on motors. It's part of everykind of racing out there " full scale and RC". I'm sitting here reading these posts where everyone has to fight becouse they like one or the other, Well, I propose two different classes for the future, one brushed and one brushless. everyone gets what they want. IMO part of racing is getting every last ounce of horsepower out of your equip. I belive brushless will lessen that aspect of racing. Ya, I know, it's all about driving skills, I don't think so, sucessful race teams "both full scale and RC" are a blend of both driver skills and Pit skills. just my $.02.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.