Wiki Posts
Search

cleaning bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default cleaning bearings

hi

just wanted to give my bearings in my pro4 a good clean ive bought trinity royal oil to re-oil them but was wondering whats the best product to soak them overnight in.

i was thinking WD40 or motor cleaner

any other ideas will be much appreciated

thnks
Old 07-16-2005, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

I just spray mine out with motor spray, then oil them up and make sure they spin free with no noise in them.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default FUEL

DUde, soak em in RC nitro fuel or 2 stroke lawn mower fuel itll clean em goooood. Then soak em in the Royal i leave em doused for min 12hrs i know its pointless but hey. If you want ultra free spin use micro lon. My $.o2
Old 07-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I open up the metal shields on bothside of the bearing.

Sprayed out all the dirt/grit once you can see inside the bearing as there are lots hiding inside with some CRC products.

Lube the bearing with "Team Atlas RESPO E.P.O" bearing oil. Close up the sheilds and ready for action.

I tend to open up the bearing to lube them inside once everymonth. Else for general maintenance, I do them after every use by just spraying them and lube them with out opening them up.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

be carefull with some cleaners.. some cleaners are very agressive, and can pit the metal and cause corosion.. Ive had it happen twice.. it usually wrecks the bearings if they sit to long...

the best way i have found, is to soak them in motor sparay for a few minutes.. then i use an air compressor to forcefully blow them out.. this has worked very well for me.. i dont have to take the seals off anymore either..
Old 07-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

to get your bearing clean buy the rpm bearing blaster. works great . after cleaning make sure you lube 'em up.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

I use Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with wd30. But I've heard that kerosene is better to use with the ultrasonic cleaning machine. I also use Zubak speed lube after cleaning.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi i just bought the eagle wave cleaner.

what is the best liquid/solution to use in this piece of equipment.

thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Cleaning bearings

I keep small glass food jars around so that I can fill with cleaning solutions, recap, and save for use again. I also use coffee filters to clean fluid some before reusing it. I like using brake cleaning fluid, I just spray into small jar, 4 oz or so size, and place bearings in it and shake around. I will use another jar to clean a second time to be sure all grease, dirt, residue is removed. You can also use laquer cleaner, even automotive engine cleaner. After cleaning bearings then blow out with compressed air or allow to dry on paper towels. Be sure to remove shields to insure that all dirt is cleaned out.

I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner at Habor Freight on sale for $25. I also bought some liquid ultrasonic cleaner from jewelry department at Wal-Mart to use in ultrasonic machine.

After cleaning bearings, I re-oil with Mobil 1, or I use grease, depending on the application, whether its for on-road or off-road. I prefer grease in off-road bearings because it will help seal the bearing to prevent dirt from entering. Oil is preferred in on-road bearings to reduce rolling resistence as much as possible.