R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Fact or Fiction: One-Ways and the year 2003 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/7810-fact-fiction-one-ways-year-2003-a.html)

Cracker78 09-06-2002 11:50 AM

Fact or Fiction: One-Ways and the year 2003

I am hoping to either verify or debunk a rumor that has gained quite alot of momentum at my LHS. The rumor is as follows: "In 2003, ROAR will make one-ways (front, rear and center) illegal." Does anyone have any insight into this? Is this true? or is the BS at my LHS just getting deeper :)

ruf 09-06-2002 12:27 PM

Dang grab a shovel. :D

futureal 09-06-2002 01:23 PM

That move has been discussed by ROAR, but no action has been taken. Personally, I doubt it will happen.

But, you never know.

Cracker78 09-06-2002 02:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys! It is so hard to wade through what is real and what is hearsay at the track, especially when a large amount of local's just start saying its true :rolleyes:

saints1115 09-06-2002 02:51 PM

ROAR

I doubt ROAR would make a decision on a national level unless one of the big manufacture started to complain about it. What Reedy did at his race was his choice as he was the promoter. With ROAR`s tight involvment with the manufactures,they`re waiting for the new part of the week to approve ,rather than any decision that affects the actuall quality of racing.

Erik R. 09-06-2002 03:19 PM

I'm not saying that it will happen, but it is a possiblilty. Reedy went to a 10-turn limit in the mod class, Roar fallows. It might just happen with one-ways too. I would personally be opposed to it if it did happen. As for a manufacturer supporting it, one major one probably will, AE. Just look at the results of the Reedy Race with that rule implemented. TC3's took home every podium position except for one.

saints1115 09-06-2002 03:36 PM

Sorry,That was the point I was trying to make. Roar catters to the manufactures. If they want it it will happen..... or won`t if they don`t. What ROAR member racers think or want is moot.

diesel31 09-06-2002 03:36 PM

i think the reason the tc3's did so well was due in large part to set-up. once they all got a good set-up, it was passed through the pits.

i have both a tc3 & a xxx-s, and if you walked the pits, the associated guys were running similar set-ups. now look at what the losi guys were doing, they weren't as unified, it seemed like there was no baseline set-up like what the associated guys were doing. i struggled and did really crappy w/ my losi - maybe i should've tried to work the tc3.

as for diffs only, i think it was a great idea. watching guys pass under breaking was a sight to see, and a helluvalot more realistic.

in comparison ( tc3 vs xxx-s), the losi has more steering than the tc3, assuming both have dual diffs, so i doubt the tc3 was more advantageous at the reedy race. the associated guys just found the set up faster than everyone else... and freely gave it to anybody with an associated.

btw, josh (won the 19t class) and andrew (won open mod) no longer drive tc3's, they're on xxx-s's - and these guys haven't missed a beat. bottomline, these guys can flat out drive and find a rock solid set-up.

Kraig 09-06-2002 06:56 PM

Keep in mind that I do believe it was the ROAR members that voted in the 10 turn rule. ROAR just put it on the ballot.

JimmyMac 09-06-2002 09:03 PM

Well one point of making oneways illegal will be that manufactures like say... Tamiya, and Yokomo who's cars come with dual oneways will no longer be legal unless if you go out and buy the diff and locked center shaft. Then it would seem that Roar is catering to one or two certain companies. Not saying that people can't afford to go out and buy and extra diff, but it's just a hassle. I really don't care what Roar does. I can race either way. But I honestly don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to use oneways. I guess dual diffs seem to be more of a "spectator" thing.

imataquito 09-06-2002 10:55 PM

yep its more of a spectator thing ..." entertainment" ...

i personally love 2 diffs overtaking would look soo damn REAL
but with those running on 1 ways 2 diffs just couldn't make it .....
they are just faster on turns and almost everywhere else .....

Speedo 09-06-2002 11:07 PM

Question?

Why slow these cars down? We have all this amazing technology and we want to impliment a rule that would slow them down? I don't see the reasoning in this, as far as I see it, the faster the cars go, the better the sport looks. People have to understand that RC is much different than 1:1 scale racing, and banning one-ways is only an attempt to mimmick full scale racing.

STLNLST 09-07-2002 12:12 AM

Originally posted by diesel31
i think the reason the tc3's did so well was due in large part to set-up. once they all got a good set-up, it was passed through the pits.

i have both a tc3 & a xxx-s, and if you walked the pits, the associated guys were running similar set-ups. now look at what the losi guys were doing, they weren't as unified, it seemed like there was no baseline set-up like what the associated guys were doing. i struggled and did really crappy w/ my losi - maybe i should've tried to work the tc3.

as for diffs only, i think it was a great idea. watching guys pass under breaking was a sight to see, and a helluvalot more realistic.

in comparison ( tc3 vs xxx-s), the losi has more steering than the tc3, assuming both have dual diffs, so i doubt the tc3 was more advantageous at the reedy race. the associated guys just found the set up faster than everyone else... and freely gave it to anybody with an associated.

You must not have been asking any of the Losi guys for help because they were helping everyone around my pits with a Losi. Losi also had a couple of guys testing new products which will be coming out shortly. Matt Francis had the "set up" for the Losi and a few guys put it on their cars (myself included) Sorry to hear that you didn't do as well as you would have liked with the car but no one can give you a solution if they never hear a question.

Erik R. 09-07-2002 12:19 AM

I don't get this either. Last time I was at a club race I didn't exactly think of RC racing as a spectator sport. So who cars about late braking. I know there is magazine coverage and so on, but most tracks don't have bleechers and TV cameras. RC racing is about driving not just looking cool for the crowd.

Sigearhead 09-07-2002 01:39 AM

Oneways are only faster with rubber tires, foams on carpet you will get killed with a oneway, you just can't drive into the turns as deep that's why you don't see oneways ran at Cleveland. Ban them or not ban them it makes no difference in my neck of the woods since no one here uses them anyways except on their Rs4 micros. :D