Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion >

LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion

LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

THat's awesome...Im guessing it would be based on the 2014 LMP coupe concept (complete with that odd looking fin)?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I'm probably not going to be very popular after this post, but so be it .
This class will never take off, because you guys have already doomed it and killed the purity of it. Speed Passion brought a great product to market, but apparently it's not good enough because it seems like everyone wants to run everything but the SP. I would forget all this talk of LMPC and just run LeMans,
SpeedPassion cars only, quit diluting the classes. Everyone is trying to recycle old WGT cars and it's going to spawn a bunch of hacked together cars that bring down the cool look of the class, which is the appeal of the class in the first place. WGT failed because it never delivered what it promised and I see this going the same way. Onroad is dead because you have 10 classes and 2 or 3 people running each class. People are trying to reinvent the class before it ever gets going and it will die because there will be too many variables in the cars to ever have rules stability.
You shouldn't worry about the popularity of your ideas if they are thoughtful, and I believe them to be, and in parallel with what I've been saying to others in person.

Racers will spend more money "hacking together" a car than you would spend on the Speed Passion combo kit. The LM-1 has to be the best deal in RC right now. The quality of design. materials and realism are simply stunning at any price. I've sold kits by just letting someone take a lap with mine.

How much time are we going to spend arguing about whether a certain "hacked together" chassis is fair to run in the class - isn't your time worth something? Doesn't that detract from the class as well? Hasn't it always? Here you have an insanely cheap package that is stunningly fun to drive out of the box! Little to no tire wear - heck the price of the FULL set dropped to $30.00? Who else offers a current, in production, LM car? Anyone? We want to start an LM class...

I'll tell you what will be an unpopular comment:

I don't think this is about cost at all. This isn't my first rodeo, I've been in this hobby for 25 years, I've seen first hand how much we all spend on this hobby - look at the divorce rate. Somewhat joking but not. You aren't going to convince me that a $199.00 full combo kit is the issue here - you'll spend more than that on tires for a large weekend race for crying out loud.

Parts support? I've ordered kits / parts from F1RCLab and SpeedPowerRC. Service has been nothing short of outstanding as I've gotten my order within two days from both shops. Still have yet to break a part...

I think it's the human condition, we like to argue, bicker, and whine - which is what the LM class would turn into if you allow the "dilution" that bpshadow speaks of - I just think it's bad for a different set of reasons. When another MFG produces an LM kit of the same scale and reasonably similar specs - it's permitted.

This platform is a real opportunity to get all skill levels of on-road racers...racing? Stay off the bar stool for one night and buy a kit, then race.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok I have read through most of this thread and skimmed through much of the relentless bickering. I think you guys are in a very similar position to how short course racing was when it was in it's infancy. The class was born from the creation of one RTR and was made popular in many areas using just that one chassis. As more manufacturers came on board, more pressure developed to allow those products into the class. Today there aren't quite as many Slash trucks in SCT, but the dimension of the wheels, tires and body all reflect the origins of the class. Now I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know exactly how this class is going to develop, but I think the conditions resemble how it was for SCT. I think you guys that have the speed passion cars should run them like crazy. Other guys are going to want in on the fun, and if you are lucky, you will have to adapt the rules and let the class evolve. If not, the class will probably be dead...
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's a new candidate for a new LMP1 body.
Attached Thumbnails LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion-image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Delgado
Wow, that is nice....
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Very cool!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Very cool!
I agree...that would be an awesome looking ride on top of a GenX10 or a LM1
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wonder who the sponsor is?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't been keeping up much with the thread since stepping back for a moment from r/c racing due to the holidays. I can see the folk that bought a F103GT (the old Tamiya version of the new Speed Passion car) back in the day, dusting them off to give it a go (thus more participants). I have seen several in my area pull theirs out of mothballs to see if they can get a LMP class going.

There is one point that many have brought up recently on all r/c thread that seem to be a prevailing factor: the costs of racing our toys are now outweighing the enjoyment of doing so by many. Monies are tight with many these days and with the manufacterers and some deep-pocketed racers pushing the cost envelope, this is why you see a decline in the r/c racing population in general. As costs continue to rise, you will see more and more forgo racing to either find a cheaper hobby or just bash where they can find a place. Like someone mentioned about the first SCT class that started with the RTR Traxxas Slash, it was a good budget class until many wanted to "win at all cost" and pushed for brushless systems, electric truck-type tires, etc. Then when the 4wd class hit, it killed the 2wd class.

My main point is that we are the driving forces behind having good or bad race programs and participation in our areas. Classes thrive or fail based whether we want them to thrive or fail. Simple rules and requirements most times equal successful classes. Rules that favor the local racing elite, really restrict what can and can't be run in the class (chassis, tires, escs, etc), usually end up class killers. A good example is VTA. Why does it still thrive in many areas: simplified rules, clear understanding of what can and can't be run, and you don't have to "break the bank" in order to participate. If you do the USVTA rules, you run Novak ESCs and motors (not overly expensive), HPI tires, and bodies that are available through several manufacterers that aren't overly priced. But, you don't have to have the "lates/greatest" $500 chassis to compete. Got an old AE TC3/TC4, you can win. Same with any old school chassis if you set it up right. Again, we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to the racing aspect of r/c.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JLock
I haven't been keeping up much with the thread since stepping back for a moment from r/c racing due to the holidays. I can see the folk that bought a F103GT (the old Tamiya version of the new Speed Passion car) back in the day, dusting them off to give it a go (thus more participants). I have seen several in my area pull theirs out of mothballs to see if they can get a LMP class going.

There is one point that many have brought up recently on all r/c thread that seem to be a prevailing factor: the costs of racing our toys are now outweighing the enjoyment of doing so by many. Monies are tight with many these days and with the manufacterers and some deep-pocketed racers pushing the cost envelope, this is why you see a decline in the r/c racing population in general. As costs continue to rise, you will see more and more forgo racing to either find a cheaper hobby or just bash where they can find a place. Like someone mentioned about the first SCT class that started with the RTR Traxxas Slash, it was a good budget class until many wanted to "win at all cost" and pushed for brushless systems, electric truck-type tires, etc. Then when the 4wd class hit, it killed the 2wd class.

My main point is that we are the driving forces behind having good or bad race programs and participation in our areas. Classes thrive or fail based whether we want them to thrive or fail. Simple rules and requirements most times equal successful classes. Rules that favor the local racing elite, really restrict what can and can't be run in the class (chassis, tires, escs, etc), usually end up class killers. A good example is VTA. Why does it still thrive in many areas: simplified rules, clear understanding of what can and can't be run, and you don't have to "break the bank" in order to participate. If you do the USVTA rules, you run Novak ESCs and motors (not overly expensive), HPI tires, and bodies that are available through several manufacterers that aren't overly priced. But, you don't have to have the "lates/greatest" $500 chassis to compete. Got an old AE TC3/TC4, you can win. Same with any old school chassis if you set it up right. Again, we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to the racing aspect of r/c.
That's one of the beauties of something like the LM1. When I came up with the PC class based on the LM1, it was about coming up with something that would not break the bank of anyone interested. If you look at everything that would be involved:

LM1 Kit with body $199.99
Reventon Stock Club Race ESC $49.99
Competition V3.0 21.5R Motor 37.99
Total $287.97

Add a 2S battery and an inexpensive 2.4GHz system and you probably only just clear $400, 450 max because you arent gonna be replacing the tires all that often based on the reports we are getting from some guys over on the LM1 thread. It would be nice to work out a USVTA style class where people can run their GenX10s and SPeedmerchant WGTs and other assorted 200mm chassis without a whole lot of additional financial outlay.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Is cost still a factor these days? I think RC racing in general has gotten pretty cheap compare to the days for brushed motors and foam sedan. What are you guys spending money on and how much from week to week?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
Little to no tire wear - heck the price of the FULL set dropped to $30.00?
I guess I missed this. Can you provide a link?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/tires/

Originally Posted by howardcano
I guess I missed this. Can you provide a link?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would a Tamiya Courage work? Assuming I could find one, which I can't. Also would an F109 convert easily?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Tamiya Courage is 190mm so it won't fit. The only chassis it will fit is the f103GT. I don't know about F109.

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Would a Tamiya Courage work? Assuming I could find one, which I can't. Also would an F109 convert easily?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.