Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin Hotwire App! It's here now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Randy,

I have a Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.2 on it. The phone recognizes the Hotwire and launces the app, however the app doesn't see the Hotwire and goes into demo mode.

Let me know if I can help with this in anyway.

Curtis
Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc car guy
oh boy just another reason i dislike apple thanks apple for making me want an android even more
I can see why you might have that sentiment, but this is part of why there are less issues with the Apple OS in terms of security breaches and other compatibility problems. At the same time things like this pop up, which can be frustrating. I don't think Apple would keep access through the USB protocol closed as way to make people frustrated. Android seems similar to Linux, which everyone thought would be what everyone would be using as a desktop OS. Because of scattered implementation of various versions and ideas it has not worked out. Android may suffer a similar fate eventually.

Anyway, its more about trying to find a solution that can work for many, whether iOS or Android, or even Windows mobile.

I wonder if there a way similar to what Speed Passion has done via Bluetooth or WiFi to access programming the Reventon ESC? Basically a WiFi or Bluetooth Hotwire that you can use via an iOS as well as an Android or other device would be cool. I know there are many other devices that are run using this method. Worth a look.

-a
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I beleive that there are pantent issues involved with the bluetooth stuff. And unless companies want to pay royalties, SP will be the only one with that tech.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I beleive that there are pantent issues involved with the bluetooth stuff. And unless companies want to pay royalties, SP will be the only one with that tech.
Even USB has license fees associated with using it. They are usually not that much, less than a dollar I believe, and could be incorporated into the cost. Actually, some have a yearly fee, which could be several thousand, but I am not sure if that is always applied. It may be how many units you are selling etc.

Last edited by oldrcr; 12-19-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There are other issues with bluetooth and wifi. First being "security" and stability of the data being transferred. The latter being our largest hang up.

IOS is a huge "deal" and it's something we've looked into a great deal. The mobile devices are of course plentiful but if you look there are very few tethered devices doing much other then stream music, charge,etc.

Tekin tries to innovate in the industry and we've yet to say "NO, period". We're just saying right now, in this form, not gonna happen in all likely hood.

We are watching all feedback and taking the constructive criticism in guys....we appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

I for one am very happy to see an (for now) android only app. Its just cool that its from an RC car company. I never understood why apple gets the apps first. Adroid is easier and cheaper to code, not to mention there are more adroid devices out there than apple. Remeber if you have an apple its an apple by apple, if you have an android it could be a motorola, samsung, htc, lg, asus, or any of a dozen more manufactures.

Thanks Tekin for not taking the road so many other developers have.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

I for one am very happy to see an (for now) android only app. Its just cool that its from an RC car company. I never understood why apple gets the apps first. Adroid is easier and cheaper to code, not to mention there are more adroid devices out there than apple. Remeber if you have an apple its an apple by apple, if you have an android it could be a motorola, samsung, htc, lg, asus, or any of a dozen more manufactures.

Thanks Tekin for not taking the road so many other developers have.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
There are other issues with bluetooth and wifi. First being "security" and stability of the data being transferred. The latter being our largest hang up.

IOS is a huge "deal" and it's something we've looked into a great deal. The mobile devices are of course plentiful but if you look there are very few tethered devices doing much other then stream music, charge,etc.

Tekin tries to innovate in the industry and we've yet to say "NO, period". We're just saying right now, in this form, not gonna happen in all likely hood.

We are watching all feedback and taking the constructive criticism in guys....we appreciate it.
I am happy to see progress on being able to use things like a phone or pad as another option on any platform, hopefully someday all the major players. Was just throwing out thoughts, many of which I am sure Tekin has explored, but you never know when something may pop up from a suggestion.

Very happy with my RS gen2, can't wait to start running the RSX in mod. (I hope santa is reading this)

Happy holidays all,
-a
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anybody tried this with a Kindle Fire HD? Has anyone found a cheap small android tablet that would run the Tekin software. I have seen some of the smaller ones near sixty bucks, but its useless if it wont run the Tekin since thats what I want it for.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Has anybody tried this with a Kindle Fire HD? Has anyone found a cheap small android tablet that would run the Tekin software. I have seen some of the smaller ones near sixty bucks, but its useless if it wont run the Tekin since thats what I want it for.
I'll look into the Kindle, but for a cheap option there is this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iview-4.3-...emory/23597353

They show it not in stock but we have confirmed it works on this device. I have a Trio Stealth 4.3" that needed a debugging fix done and it now works too.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats good info. I mean we spend more than that on a battery so why not. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Team Tekin

The Tekin Hotwire App will work with gen1 products The Tekin Hotwire App would also work with Apple devices and Windows phones if they would let us.

We could have made the Android app only work on a new Gen2 version of the Hotwire and Gen2 products. Instead we decided to let it work everywhere, with everything, so everyone could enjoy it immediately. We have always improved our products along the way and offered free software updates to our loyal customers to add features and performance. Not many products have stayed competitive for as many years as our gen1 products have.

Unfortunately we did not complete the work to make it work with the Gen1 products in time for the release deadline we had set. We have released a Beta version to see how it goes with all the different devices and versions of the Android operating systems while we finish up the rest of the features and compatibility.

We have already seen our worst fear come true in that it works on 4.1 and does not work on the newer 4.2 and 4.3 versions that have been released. Just like the Apple issue it is out of our control and the rumors are that future versions of the Android operating system will fix the issues.

Hang with us and we will work it out as we go. That is the difference being part of the Tekin family and just buying electronics. We are always moving forward and try to give you the most value for your hard earned money.

Jim Campbell
President
Tekin, Inc.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 12-19-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Jim, go ahead and release a Beta version that will do Gen 1 products. Got a ZTE running 4.1.2 that the current Beta looks impressive in demo mode. Be happy to run it thru the ringer for ya.
Ed M.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IOS is dropping in numbers and Android is gaining.

But why haven't Tekin done the obvious and built a $30 programming box.

No software versions or device compatibility issues to worry about.

LCD 4-6 buttons, easily packed with other gear. Just plug in and easily and quickly adjust.

Perfect for a busy race day.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by frozenpod
IOS is dropping in numbers and Android is gaining.

But why haven't Tekin done the obvious and built a $30 programming box.

No software versions or device compatibility issues to worry about.

LCD 4-6 buttons, easily packed with other gear. Just plug in and easily and quickly adjust.

Perfect for a busy race day.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.