R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Should I get a new car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/778574-should-i-get-new-car.html)

Ructo 12-14-2013 05:18 PM

Should I get a new car?

Hello! I am new to the forums because I have a question about my rc setup. I currently own an exceed driftstar with a tacon motor and hobby wing 35a esc. I know that the driftstar is a pretty crappy car, but since I have already started upgrading, should I continue upgrading, or would I save money by starting with a better car? By the way I have not had any major problems with my car.
Thanks,
Ructo

skater-deez1 12-14-2013 05:28 PM

Stick with what you have but put a limit on how much you're willing to spend on it.:nod: I always try to look ahead at the next car I want and save money for that,there's no use in buying a new dress to put on a pig if you know what I'm saying!:lol::lol:

Ructo 12-14-2013 05:32 PM

Yeah, I'll probably get a couple more upgrades, see how it goes, and go from there. Thanks for the quick reply :D

brwn bggr 12-14-2013 09:09 PM

I can only think of a few reasons that you "should" get a new tc...
maybe you have an issue with something loosening up,or breaking all the time and you spend more time wrenching than you do running...no,you said it was reliable...
maybe the kit features limit you on tuning options and you find you have learned enough that you want more out of your car...
maybe spare parts are becoming hard to find...
maybe your at the top of your game and are tired of finishing 3 seconds down from the race winner...
So probably,the simple answer is no,you don't "need" a new tc...
But the fact that you asked the question,leads me to believe that you "want" one...that's the reason most of us get a new kit...
Set your budget...read the threads on the ones that interest you,and like mentioned above...put no more in your current ride than you need to and start saving...
Look for features that interest you,aftermarket support and spares availability...
Don't forget to look at used cars,this time of year a lot of guys are buying the lastest models...some bargains can be had on last year's cars...
Good luck,have fun...

bertrandsv87 12-14-2013 09:41 PM

Yes you need a new TC : either a tc4(cheap) or an Awesomatix (expensive).....

Ructo 12-15-2013 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by brwn bggr (Post 12813832)
I can only think of a few reasons that you "should" get a new tc...
maybe you have an issue with something loosening up,or breaking all the time and you spend more time wrenching than you do running...no,you said it was reliable...
maybe the kit features limit you on tuning options and you find you have learned enough that you want more out of your car...
maybe spare parts are becoming hard to find...
maybe your at the top of your game and are tired of finishing 3 seconds down from the race winner...
So probably,the simple answer is no,you don't "need" a new tc...
But the fact that you asked the question,leads me to believe that you "want" one...that's the reason most of us get a new kit...
Set your budget...read the threads on the ones that interest you,and like mentioned above...put no more in your current ride than you need to and start saving...
Look for features that interest you,aftermarket support and spares availability...
Don't forget to look at used cars,this time of year a lot of guys are buying the lastest models...some bargains can be had on last year's cars...
Good luck,have fun...

I guess the reason I ever thought about a new car is because I don't want to spend a ton of money upgrading and then realize that I should have just got a new car all together. I'm not really going for racing, but I will probably get a lipo battery and maybe a new transmitter. I am just in the hobby to have some fun, maybe drive around a track, but not really to race, at least not right now. Plus, my car isn't very fast, so are there even any races that I would have a chance in with this car?

Ructo 12-15-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 12813899)
Yes you need a new TC : either a tc4(cheap) or an Awesomatix (expensive).....

Could you explain your answer a little further? Thanks

InspGadgt 12-15-2013 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ructo (Post 12814261)
I guess the reason I ever thought about a new car is because I don't want to spend a ton of money upgrading and then realize that I should have just got a new car all together. I'm not really going for racing, but I will probably get a lipo battery and maybe a new transmitter. I am just in the hobby to have some fun, maybe drive around a track, but not really to race, at least not right now. Plus, my car isn't very fast, so are there even any races that I would have a chance in with this car?

If your not racing and already having fun with the car then there is no need to buy a new one. In the short term doing upgrades is less expensive than buying a new car and to many people that is part of the fun of the hobby. If your looking for a good justification to buy a new car then that works as well. No matter which way you go if you are just drifting in parking lots neither upgrading or buying a new car is going to make that much of a performance difference.

Another thing to consider...if you are upgrading because of durability issues then a new car probably will not help you there. Higher end cars are not higher end because they are more durable...they are higher end because they perform better in a race environment and are likely no more durable than the car you currently have.

heretic 12-15-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ructo (Post 12814267)

I see you are new here. Welcome ! Don't pay attention to Bertrand. He's been making a fool of himself for as long as I can remember and never gave anyone any piece of useful, or even remotely rational advice. Just ignore him.

To answer your initial question: InspGadgt and brwnbggr gave you some sound advice.

Now if you tell us more on what plans you have, we could help you better. Racing, drifting, both ? Have you tried running your car on a purpose-built track? With good rubber tires ? Are you looking for looks, speed, both ? How much are you willing to spend ? Also, depending on what you may try in the future, your goals may change radically. (I still remember the day one guy let me drive his mod Ground FX'd RC10L2 for one full pack... I was like 11 or 12. LIFE CHANGER, no less. Seriously. GOOSEBUMPS !)

You cannot imagine the adrenaline and addictiveness of racing, even at a low level with slow cars. Try it a little.

hyujmn 12-15-2013 10:49 AM

Don't listen to Bertrand. All he talks about is 2.5t mod motors and the TC4 and Awesomatix.

Ructo 12-15-2013 11:44 AM

I might get into racing, but I also enjoy drifting. I have not raced on an sort of official track, just my road out front, but I am planning to go to a track near me soon. Before that I will probably get a lipo battery because the Nimh I have last about ten minutes after a couple hours charging.

bertrandsv87 12-15-2013 03:18 PM

Well Rutco, I was under the impression that you preferred shaft cars over belt cars, so that's why I recommended the tc4 and Awesomatix... There are other options like the hpi pro4, tamiya evo5, etc, but Parts are very rare, and upgrades near inexistant... Good luck with your search....

Chaz955i 12-15-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ructo (Post 12814267)

Not if you are expecting anything coherent.

Ructo 12-16-2013 02:19 PM

What do you guys use as batteries and chargers? What are the best brands and websites?

Ructo 12-16-2013 03:04 PM

I have ordered from hobbypartz and they seem fine. Any recommendations?