Wiki Posts
Search

Short length shock vs Long length shock cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Questions?? Short length shock vs Long length shock cars

Dear for anyone:

In this year, our race season is dominated by majority of TCXX and BD7, which T4 were almost totally out of A main.
For the coincident both Japanese branded cars are still using long shocks instead of short which used by T4.

Could somebody tell me if short or long shocks are the matter of performance, since our track is so bumpy with tight and small layout on low-medium grip surface?

Best regards
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
You sure it wasn't the driver's abilities, rather than the car?
Look, i saw a driver had put his BD7 with short shock of Xray, of course the shock tower of CSO, i remember he can't go further than medium place in A main in penultimate round and B main from last race, so therefore?

At least could anybody explain the theory and difference, please?

Best regards
Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The big bore thing is still kinda new for TCs, so give it some time. It'll be the new standard soon. With the new low shock towers, you can put lower bodies on easier. Who knows, maybe TC won't be "TC" soon.

As far as the shocks go, you can use lighter wt oil in those big bores because the piston has a bigger area to push against the oil. You will also get more pack because of that. Not sure of the other effects, but it effectively lowers the CG on the car too.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by inpuressa
The big bore thing is still kinda new for TCs, so give it some time. It'll be the new standard soon. With the new low shock towers, you can put lower bodies on easier. Who knows, maybe TC won't be "TC" soon.

As far as the shocks go, you can use lighter wt oil in those big bores because the piston has a bigger area to push against the oil. You will also get more pack because of that. Not sure of the other effects, but it effectively lowers the CG on the car too.
If won't affect car transition, on "s" turns?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

in the nitro sedan ranks in low grip. the guys have been using the std instead of the big bores but that i think that they are used to how the work with a set oil cst change
Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
If won't affect car transition, on "s" turns?
You can make it "feel" the same as the longer shock car by using things such as the 4 hole pistons to lessen the pack. The VBC D06 also uses low profile shocks, but I have no problem with the chicanes. In fact, I really like how the car handles.

I always thought that the traditional TC shocks were too long for the amount of travel the suspension had. The trend with low profile shocks is to keep the volume the same and have effective working range, while lowering the CG.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by azeroth
in the nitro sedan ranks in low grip. the guys have been using the std instead of the big bores but that i think that they are used to how the work with a set oil cst change
Originally Posted by inpuressa
You can make it "feel" the same as the longer shock car by using things such as the 4 hole pistons to lessen the pack. The VBC D06 also uses low profile shocks, but I have no problem with the chicanes. In fact, I really like how the car handles.

I always thought that the traditional TC shocks were too long for the amount of travel the suspension had. The trend with low profile shocks is to keep the volume the same and have effective working range, while lowering the CG.
Lowering CG is good pro, but somebody tell me of short shocks has no advantage on running tight layout and low grip like our track.
If this is real, i am looking to convert my T4 using long shock mount in order have better handling.
Even keep the short shock but using 3 holes instead of 4 holes pistons.

Could somebody think if really worth?

Best regards
Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

Well, you can always bypass all of that, and get an A700, lowest possible CG , and no pack to worry about....lol... Long shocks or short shocks, no big difference ! Just more money thrown at a problem the A700 solved already....
Old 12-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Well, you can always bypass all of that, and get an A700, lowest possible CG , and no pack to worry about....lol... Long shocks or short shocks, no big difference ! Just more money thrown at a problem the A700 solved already....
What a good idea buy a pricey car to solve problem?
Sounds interesting!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

It's the only Car that categorically solves the problem, instead of endlessly going around it, while draining your wallet !!!! Just sayin.....
Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

I wouldnt want an awesomatix whilst its a great design, i wouldnt want to have to change spur gears in a hurry or mess around with whatever the hell those shocks are
Old 12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

besides lowering the center of gravity, i don't see any advantage. About the pack thing too- the same ability to use lighter oil works just the same with the smaller bore shocks, just use smaller hole pistons, or drill your own. the awesomatix is "awesome" but i think it takes a very good driver to be good with it. Put a ta06 into the hands of a good driver, and give the awesomatix to a beginner, and it suddenly won't do so good.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Come on Purcy, don't Rc hate ! Russians innovate !!!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

i like the design of the awesomatx. Would i want to own one? no, but just to tinker with one for a while would be really cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.