Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated Drift Chasis - Which One? >

Team Associated Drift Chasis - Which One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated Drift Chasis - Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Team Associated Drift Chasis - Which One?

First thread here, so please, go easy on me!

I have done hours of research and can't seem to settle on a good "high end" drift car. Been into RC cars since the 80's so I'm not new to this...just drifting.

I've looked and looked and....

I like MST, Yokomo and Tamiya, but parts seem to be easy to find here with TA and honestly I like their products. I also want the option of converting to grip in the future.

My question is which TA chasis would be most appropriate to turn into a great drifter? I like to build, modify and tweak them more than race them. I really like the "owning the machine" aspect of the hobby so I won't be competing or racing.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

TC4,perfect for drift! Also allows you to go race if you choose.The shaft drive is an added benefit as it doesn't get ruined by the small rocks and pebbles that can trip up a belt drive car.Also the shaft means instant power for drifting.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

the tc5 makes for a great 50/50 drift chassis. i ran mine with a boosted esc and it handled the power very well being belt driven.can be counter steer modded with minimal fuss tho the layout is not quite suited for high ratio cs and the steering takes alot of modding to handle the cs angles. still a great chassis for 5050 drifting imo
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

The only thing about the tc4 is the steering throw, but theres a losi part that you can buy to get full throw without destroying your cva's
Old 12-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by lee111m
The only thing about the tc4 is the steering throw, but theres a losi part that you can buy to get full throw without destroying your cva's
I suggested the tc4 based on parts availability and reliability,every car has drawbacks but for someone who wants to drift and race it's a great car to start with.IMO
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the feed back guys. I like the new 6.2. I'm not too excited by the TC4 for some reason. I want a little less plastic.

In your experiences are yokomo and MST Parts considerably hard to get?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Compared to Yokomo, Team Associated parts are way easy to get. Cheaper too, but if you want to do countersteer drifting then you will need a chassis that doesn't convert well to grip. What I mean is a purpose built drifter. Like the MST or Yokomo. They have gearing options that over drive the rear so you have to countersteer to drift. It looks more realistic too. You can also do it with one of the belt drive touring cars but you will have to change the pulleys, and move the spool to the back. If 50/50 drift is all you want to do then that can be achieved with any touring car. Just put some good drift tires on it.

Look at driftmission.com for articles and ideas. Rc race and drift Japan or rcmart for the gear you need.

Edit: Spool in the back no matter what for drift.
Takes me weeks to get stuff from rcraceanddriftjapan. RC Mart is a bit faster. A main is fastest, but does not have the full array of Yokomo gear and hardly anything from the other drift manufacturers.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 12-05-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks snoopyrc.

I have spent some considerable time on drift mission. That's a great site. I just find their reviews are kind of short...maybe it's just me.

I will go check out those thee sites you recommended.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

I would vote for the TC4 but since you didn't like it I'd recommend the HPI Sprint 2 carbon chassis setup. You get a center "mid-engine" layout and parts are available since HPI is slowly getting things trickled in. You can upgrade on the Hot Bodies TCXX shocks and parts later if you like such as arms and axles, otherwise I'm fully satisfied with my Tamiya TL01 modified for drifting.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I recently got a 3Racing Sakura D3, lovin it.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SuperFastSnail
I would vote for the TC4 but since you didn't like it I'd recommend the HPI Sprint 2 carbon chassis setup. You get a center "mid-engine" layout and parts are available since HPI is slowly getting things trickled in. You can upgrade on the Hot Bodies TCXX shocks and parts later if you like such as arms and axles, otherwise I'm fully satisfied with my Tamiya TL01 modified for drifting.
I currently have a Sprint 2 drift with the following upgrades - a front one-way, rear locked diff, Novak Drift Spec ESC and motor combo, a .06 sec futaba steering servo, Associated shocks, and a futaba fasst system and front cvds with some extra steering angle from grinding away some plastic. I really like it for a first drifter. It's really a pleasure to drive be so new to drifting. I have put probably 150-175 runs on it with zero issues at all. However I only use it in my basement so it doesn't see much abuse.

I thought about a CF chassis but would like to just put the money towards a nicer platform eventthough I really like the Hpi S2. I'd like a really nice refined higher-end machine just to tinker with if you know what I mean.

Tell me more about the center layout.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

MIKE2112, nice, you already have the car that I would of recommended next. The center "layout" I was referring to was the location of the motor. The Sprint 2 places the motor (heavy mass) pretty much in the "center line" of the car if you look at it from front to back; taken into account the location mass of the pinion and spur gear. Compared this to the Tamiya TA06 where the rear drive train is basically a geared transmission I much prefer the Sprint 2 as it is easy accessible to work on if anything broke or jammed.

Back to your choice preference of TA chassis I'd pick a TC6 as it is a great car to deal with and you can now find awesome deals right here in RC Tech. I've seen some go for $150, $200 with extra parts and so on as the new TC6.2 is rolling in. Do yourself a favor and get the Exotek conversion for the TC6 and you will be right along with the big boys…for future touring, vta or usgt racing. If you could afford the TC6.2 right off the bat…the merrier.