Wiki Posts
Search

tc choices and opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tc choices and opinions??

Looking to step up to mod tc next season so trying to choose a tc chassis. Even though I'm not the world's greatest driver I like nice stuff. I've preferred serpents but there are some good alternatives so I'm bouncing between the xray t4, serpent eryx 411, and the Schumacher mi5. The xray is of course really pricey, the eryx I'm seeing a bit of posts about design issues sloppy bearings or something. And the mi5 has some really cool design elements but looking at it looks like it may be break happy with its cf arms etc..
So if anyone has one of these and can offer their experience with car I'd appreciate some insight. Mainly contrast performance, durability, and cost /availability of parts.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

I have the Mi5 and it has proven to be awesome and durable. Once you replace the kingpin bolts, it is pretty hard to wreck anything. I have broke one aluminum screw and one rear arm after wrecking in front of oncoming traffic (very hard hit). Haven't broken anything in like 3 months and I do crash.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

It's also one of the nicest cars to build ever.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Hehe oh and I still finished the race with the broken arm and scew. I CAed th arm and used it for a month.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

What do people at your track run? Do you prefer to have setup help locally? Whats the parts supply locally for each?

I prefer the Xray. They are a little more than some of the other kits. But they are more durable so you will need less spares in my experience.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

There an mi4 a bd7 and some tc 6s I like to run different stuff don't know why I just do. Parts support is not a big issue as long as say a main keeps it in stock. I'm just tired of associated ran all ae for years
Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

I really like my 1/8 cobra gte
I just don't want go through what I did in 2001 with my yokomo and parts support
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If no one is running xray, and you're tired of associated. I'd say go that direction. If you're willing to spend a little more and get everything you need all in one kit, I'd go awesomatix, but there is a learning curve that is a bit different from other touring cars. I really enjoy my car, but I also have local help if need be. I use them mainly for setup ideas, but always have help for questions too. Although, there is quite a responsive group here online. Most posts are answered within a day if not sooner.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oceanhighz
If no one is running xray, and you're tired of associated. I'd say go that direction. If you're willing to spend a little more and get everything you need all in one kit, I'd go awesomatix, but there is a learning curve that is a bit different from other touring cars. I really enjoy my car, but I also have local help if need be. I use them mainly for setup ideas, but always have help for questions too. Although, there is quite a responsive group here online. Most posts are answered within a day if not sooner.
Where are you running in bmore? I'm only an hour away . Any indoor up there?
Sorry off topic but yeah the awesomatix looks killer but that def past my dollar window.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Same reason I got rid of my AE vehicles. I do still have my SC10 SCB because there aren't a lot of choices out there for that class. But always the same issues. I went to Xray for TC and 4mod and couldn't be happier. Plastics are SOOO much better. I keep one front and one rear arm as spares. Some optional springs and different oils. That gets me by on the 3-4 different tracks around here. I have yet to break an Xray TC in 2 years.

When you add up all the spares and option parts for other cars, they all work out about the same in the end IMO. Of course there are a few exceptions like Awesomatix or 3Racing etc...
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

only 1 car i trust for MOD: XRAY = durability
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I really love my Serpent ERYX. I've found it really responsive to setup changes and found that it suits my driving style really well. It's a pleasure to work on and I haven't managed to break it yet and that's saying something for durability I wouldn't change it for anything else on the market right now.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

I owned the Eryx and the T4'14. I sold the Eryx because I found the T4'14 generally easier to drive (larger set up window) and more durable.

Not knocking on the Eryx, the fastest guy on the track drives one but the T4 just give me that much more confidence which allows me to push the car even more.

The T4'14 is well worth the extra $$ in my opinion. Or you can wait a bit longer and see how the AE TC6.2 holds up.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit
Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scooby61
Where are you running in bmore? I'm only an hour away . Any indoor up there?
Sorry off topic but yeah the awesomatix looks killer but that def past my dollar window.
Indoor onroad is alive and thriving @ Middle River Hobbies. Many of the top racers on the East Coast have been racing there. Definitely have middle tier/ mediocre guys like myself too, and beginners coming in as well. Onroad racing Thursday night and Saturdays. Practice every other day of the week from shop open until close ($10 all day).