Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring Car Body Handling Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Touring Car Body Handling Question.

Hello all. Yesterday went to do some practicing and started out with my old body (Protoform Ltc-r RW) on the car. The car drove straight no problems, but when I put my new body on later on the car pulled to the left. Same body different paint scheme, body fits the same. I didn't change a thing. Anyone ever notice this when switching bodies. I figure that during the molding process one body must have been flattened more on one side so that when the air is hitting it, it pushes that side of the car down into the track more producing more traction. Whats your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

If it pulls hard enough for you to notice, you should easily be able to see where their is a difference in the bodies.

Are you sure the new body is mounted straight?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'd look for a driveline defect or a tire rubbing the body on the left side of the car - can't say that I've seen a body switch cause that problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

I have checked for rubbing and the body is straight. Only difference I see is that the rear wing is slightly forward on one side compared to the older body. I adjusted it but wont be able to check until I go to the track again.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mbykerman
I have checked for rubbing and the body is straight. Only difference I see is that the rear wing is slightly forward on one side compared to the older body. I adjusted it but wont be able to check until I go to the track again.
If the difference was too great, that might be a cause, but my first suspicion is that there is something else.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

I checked the bodies again in a side by side comparison and Skiddins you are right the left front of the car in front of the left front tire has a lot more flare and is wider. So it would be getting more downforce on the front left side.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is it possible you knocked something out with the setup just before you changed bodies?

-Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

While aerodynamics play a role in the overall balance of the car, the speeds are pretty low and i would be very surprised if that is the cause.

I personally think, like some of the guys above, the car is tweaked, something changed in your toe / trim settings or there is something wrong in the drivetrain.

If it was aerodynamics, surely it would only happen at higher speeds?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry I forgot to state that it was only happening at higher speeds. The car would track straight at slower speeds, but when I went to full throttle the car would pull to the left.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bodies do play a part in handling, more notice able at higher speeds. I would check the rear wing to see if it is straight or kicked to one side or the other and adjust it as needed, if it still pulls after this check the front nose and see if it is tweaked at all and adjust as needed. Some bodies are molded heavier or thinner in some spots also, causing the body to flex under the air pressure. Hope that helps
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm not going to discount the OP's theory, but I'd think to check all your drivetrain bearings before correcting the alignment on the body shell to correct a high speed tracking problem. Bear in mind that this advice is coming from someone that never replaces body posts and bodies at the same time, and two different bodies never seem to mount exactly the same on a set of used body posts.

I'd check and clean all drivetrain bearings, replace any bearings that are questionable, and see if the car tracks properly. More often than not, if a car starts pulling to one side and/or acts erratically, a failing drivetrain bearing is to blame.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

so a 56 Chevy Nomad....not so much? lol
Old 11-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks going to go tjrough the drivetrain as well as adjust body. Thanks for all the advise!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mbykerman
Sorry I forgot to state that it was only happening at higher speeds. The car would track straight at slower speeds, but when I went to full throttle the car would pull to the left.
This sounds like your car has a tweak - the chassis has a twist in it. To get rid of the tweak, you need to loosen the screws on the top deck. Place it on a tweak board or a flat glass table. Push down the front bulkhead and rear bulkhead and tighten the screws on the top deck.