Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Motor tuning for a newbie........ >

Motor tuning for a newbie........

Motor tuning for a newbie........

Old 07-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor tuning for a newbie........

Have read a couple of posts, and would like to know more about engine tuning. Due to a recent health diagnosis (need a kidney transplant) I am unable to do things like before(like race go karts, lift heavy things), and I'm only 23. I would like to get back into R/C and race Dirt Oval. I would also like to do my own motors. I'm new at this especially, and dont even know all of the terminology of the electric motors just yet. Any tutorials, or guides would be great, or basically instructions This is something I would love to learn, and get good at. What kinda tools would I need, whats inside an electric motor(proper terminology)?????? Any help would be great guys, I can build a Briggs, and an OHV engine , so this couldnt be that hard to learn, not to mention, I build Cummins Turbo Diesels everyday at work.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Try this for stock motors. Since you're new, I'm assuming that's what you'll be running. Good luck.
http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html
Old 07-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks

That was a great article, no if I could just understand as to why you have to do some of these steps, and which tools I would need, or should I say where to get them(like a lathe) I would be good to go. Great Link, thanks again
Old 07-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dave you can get all of the materials and tools you need for motor tuning at about any of the main online hobby shops,Speedtech probably has everything you need.don't know how deep your pockets are but get hudy lathes and tools if possible they are of a very high quality and you won't need to replace them, ever probably.I'm still using wrenches I bought 10 +years ago.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

www.kthobbies.com
www.speedtechrc.com
www.stormerhobbies.com

Top 3 places on the net to get stuff. You'll be able to find anything you'll need from one of those places
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, your biggest and most important purchase is a good motor lathe. You will have to have some way to get power and adjust the speed too. A lot of guys just use old cells in a 4 cell configuration. I also paid extra and got a diamond bit for my lathe; they don't come with it (a carbide bit usually comes with it), but it will last much longer than carbide and will cut better. You can use that same 4 cell pack to break in the motor too. If you are just starting out, polishing the bushings isn't as critical, but using the right brushes, aligning the hoods, etc. is. My advice is to also get a good soldering iron. You want really good bonds (no cold solders), and that iron is even more critical when you get to your batteries. Hako makes great ones, and there are others. Expect to pay about $75+ for a good iron. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lathes?

Which one to get? I'm thinking of Hudy, as I've been told they are the best for the $. But, do I want a V-guide or bearing? Bearing seems better but V-guide is more expensive, saying the opposite. Thanks for any direction yolu guys can give.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've heard the v-blocks are the shintz!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default :)

Thanks for all of the info guys. Now onto my research
Old 07-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Go with the V-Blocks. Bearings can go bad over time.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

V-blocks for sure!
Old 07-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

With Hudy being "the best" and Cobra being "Good for the $" what about the Integy, Trinity and Orion lathes?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

get a fantom lathe if you can find one, they are machined out a solid steel stock, so the v grooves are always perfectly alligned, not to mention it provides the best cut on the market.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Whew, that Fantom is kinda pricey , aint it? What can you guys tell me about brush serrators? Is there one that can do the trinity cross cuts? Once again guys, THANKS for the info.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
Try this for stock motors. Since you're new, I'm assuming that's what you'll be running. Good luck.
http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html
Great article, cheers for posting that.
I've been wanting to advance my motor tuning for a while, and that will certainly help Already done the brush hood (re-)alignment on some of my motors, fingers crossed they should work better now .

Later
Ed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.