Wiki Posts
Search

Motor tuning for a newbie........

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by handyrandyrc
"The single shunt wire is only rated at 10A anyway so it really doesn't matter where you put it as long as it doesn't hang the brush.

It's much more important to keep the inside of the brush hoods exceptionally clean than worry about a shunt wire."

Did you know you could just cut the shunts off and not attach them whatsoever? Or leave them hanging? This is simply a matter of preference. We could sit down and measure everything on a dyno, whether soldered or not, and I imagine the results would only differ slightly. I, for one, prefer to solder my shunts. Some may just like to attach them to the spring-hooky-thing. Some use the screw-on type.

If it works for you, and is fast on the track, then AWESOME! Mission accomplished...

wow, how do you like me now COOKIE!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Show me one pro driver who doesn't solder their brushes, and I'll apologize, till then bite me
Old 07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.

Please stop with the bickering. odawg, Dino, I would much rather hear your opinions on what we can do to tune a motor.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DinoXXX
till then bite me
nice COOKIE, theres maturity!!

i gave an opinion on what i do and then i was bashed for it, thats how this got started.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

What is the difference between double and single shunt?
Is there a big difference ? When I should use one and another ?

tks all
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Double or single shunt makes no difference!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hyper1
Double or single shunt makes no difference!

Yes,its actually no what so difference.

You can try but buying a 2 shunt brush.Then solder on shunt and run it,then solder the 2 together...There shouldn't be any difference.Maybe the only difference is in the mind... But the way,is just a suggestion.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

neosan: In theory a brush shunt is only rated to about 10amps, so a double shunt would be better. HOWEVER, since the brush also directly contacts the inside of the brush hood most of the power is transfered there. A motor will still run hard even with the shunts hanging loose. Single or double will make no differnce onthe track as long as the inside of your brush hoods are clean.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Regardless of what ANYONE says... If a brush is drawing most, if not all of it's current from the inside of the hood, then there will be arcing, becouse the brush does not stay perfectly still inside of the hood, arcing will cause the inside of the hood to become fouled, Not clean. Everyone agrees that the hood should be kept clean, so as to allow it it's proper tension against the comm. If you solder your shunt "constant connection" this will stop the arcing, or at least .999 of it. If you don't belive me, take a crappy motor and a battery tap the tab w/ the wire, see the sparks "arcing"? Now apply steady pressure "think soldered" against the tab, no sparks "arcing". Think about this before you start the flaming....
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

well said COOKIE, i agree with you on the steady pressure and all the arcing, which brings me back to sticking the shunts under the spring tabs, i would hope the springs are applying constant pressure otherwise the motor wouldnt spin, agreed, think so, but just for kicks and giggles, i removed my shunts all together and used the best dyno i could find, the track, guess what, no difference in lap times, in fact one lap was my personal best!!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

You are still messing w/ the spring tension, unless you are tuning them that way, but if you buy a tuned motor and then decide to shove the shunt under the spring, then I garantee you are messing the "tune" up... no question, no more discussion.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

k cookie, you got the best of me!