R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TURN IN (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/773689-turn.html)

mbykerman 11-22-2013 11:29 AM

TURN IN

Hello to everyone to reads this post. I am starting this thread, because a fellow driver asked this question and I am interested to hear everyone and anyones advise. The question is "When do you start to turn into the corner?".

My answer was that since my car has a slight push to it. I start turning in early, because the tires are going to slide alittle before catching and actually start the turn. Anyone that might have a loose car might wait to turn in. Am I right or wrong? Chime in any advise on this would be helpful info for me to pass on. Thanls

LloydLoar 11-22-2013 11:40 AM

Pretty sure the goal is to turn in at the point that is required to hit the apex and maintain the maximum amount of corner speed.

If you have to scrub speed in order to make the corner, you should brake and then turn in rather than scrubbing the speed through understeer, no?

I don't think that you will wait to turn in with a car that has oversteer. You will either tame the oversteer by maintaining the correct entry/corner/exit speed, or you will use it to your advantage to bring the car around.

mbykerman 11-22-2013 11:55 AM

I understand what you are saying and thanks for your reply. I know that scrubbing speed is bad, but I suck at braking. I either slow the car to much and turn in early hitting the wall, or I don't slow it enough and overshoot the corner. Lmao. I am working on it though.

R3VoLuTiOn 11-22-2013 12:30 PM

whatever works for you to make the corner is best.

the easier a car is to drive for yourself, the faster you will go.

vivo quevas 11-22-2013 12:34 PM

If you have ever had the privelage of driving a pro-level car those guy's set thier cars to have so much steering without the rearend braking loose. I am no pro but I'm a journey man driver and I let many guy's drive my car with less experince the first thing they say that car has way too much steering. When I ask my friends that are expert drivers and they comment on what the car is doing in the corner and the cars reactions not the amount of steering. When I drive intermediate drivers car they always have too much push in there car on turn in and exit this usually makes the car less predictable and slow lap times. Turn in push is a setup problem, you need to work on your setup. Main thing about driving a good car they feel like they drive themselves it is easy to turn fast and consistent lap times. I try not to go by car feel I test a lot and I only go by lap times, one fast lap is not as good as consistent laps. IMHO

mbykerman 11-22-2013 04:06 PM

All advise noted and put into the mental vault for use and trying to help others. Keep it coming.